The MT-07 Forum

Speed & Strength Lunatic Fringe Jersey

mardi72

@simbadc650 I thought you were going to get the red, it's the sharpest color imo but wouldn't match my matte silver FZ (yes I'm a dork that way). I got the silver (to match) and stay with a lighter color to stay (hopefully) cooler, ordered the same size as my jackets (XL) and fits like a glove. All of the armor is in the right place and stays there (doesn't flop around). 
@beemer not sure what vid you watched bud but there's no liner, only layers of mesh. This "jersey" is a looser weave than my Icon Contra jacket but a tighter weave than my cortech gx air 3 (or whatever the hell it's called).

No pockets is a bummer but at $40 shipped I figured even if I hated it I could remove the back protection to slip in my other jackets and still come out ahead.
Sorry, bud, there was a video when I first went to the site that showed a perforated polyester liner (or layer) under the outside layer. The shell (or outer layer) on the jersey is made of mesh textile and the jersey weighs a whopping 16 lbs. according to Amazons site, unless that's a typo. It's heavy just like my textile jacket that's made with the same materials. That's why I said what I did and a side note about 100+ degree days, 100 degrees and over isn't cool even if you're naked.

Beemer

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ChicagoAJ
@simbadc650 I thought you were going to get the red, it's the sharpest color imo but wouldn't match my matte silver FZ (yes I'm a dork that way). I got the silver (to match) and stay with a lighter color to stay (hopefully) cooler, ordered the same size as my jackets (XL) and fits like a glove. All of the armor is in the right place and stays there (doesn't flop around). 
@beemer not sure what vid you watched bud but there's no liner, only layers of mesh. This "jersey" is a looser weave than my Icon Contra jacket but a tighter weave than my cortech gx air 3 (or whatever the hell it's called).

No pockets is a bummer but at $40 shipped I figured even if I hated it I could remove the back protection to slip in my other jackets and still come out ahead.
Sorry, bud, there was a video when I first went to the site that showed a perforated polyester liner (or layer) under the outside layer. The shell (or outer layer) on the jersey is made of mesh textile and the jersey weighs a whopping 16 lbs. just like my textile jacket that's made with the same materials. That's why I said what I did and a side note about 100+ degree days, 100 degrees isn't cool.
This jersey weighs maybe 2-3 pounds, I've owned this for over a year. You can see right through it.  

You must have bricks in your textile jacket because my leather Sedici jacket with a spine protector, kidney protectors, shoulder and elbow protectors only weighs 8 pounds. 

ChicagoAJ

I was going by Amazon's web site that said it weighed. 16 lbs. but after thinking about it that does seem a bit much and probably is a typo. My jacket can't weigh anywhere near that weight, it feels like it's maybe around 3-4 lbs. itself and that's heavy to me but the weight doesn't even matter really. I was trying to make a point that the jersey is made of the same materials as my jacket that doesn't keep me cool when it's hot out. 

Beemer

Guest ChicagoAJ

This jersey is basically like wearing a long sleeve t-shirt while riding. There's nothing to it. Amazon definitely screwed up that weight, that might be the box of 5 they got them in, haha. It may be the same material as any other textile jacket, but it's literally one layer of it, no liner. It's ridiculously light - think any type of football jersey available in stores but with armor.

This jersey is basically like wearing a long sleeve t-shirt while riding. There's nothing to it. Amazon definitely screwed up that weight, that might be the box of 5 they got them in, haha. It may be the same material as any other textile jacket, but it's literally one layer of it, no liner. It's ridiculously light - think any type of football jersey available in stores but with armor.
I'm glad you said that, thank you, that clears things up! When I initially read that it was a jersey I flipped and said no effing way! A jersey with armor! Thin, see through, breathable jerseys are what I wear sometimes on the really hot days already. Then when I saw that video I frowned and did a 180 but when mardi72 said it had layers it seemed like he confirmed it had two layers. I've always thought that if they'd made my jacket without the permanent liner I could wear it on the hottest days but there's no way to take it out without removing the armor permanently as well. Since you actually have one I'll take your word for it and so I'm back to my first impression, hell yeah, I'm getting a couple! I wear a large, should I get X lg. to accommodate the back armor for easier on/off?

Beemer

Guest ChicagoAJ

I got an XL based on my XL shirt size and it fits perfectly. They're pretty roomy and come on and off very easily. The back plate is large and flexible so it's not much of an issue getting on and off unless you get a size too small. Unless you plan on wearing it over a hoodie or a few t-shirts, just get whatever shirt size you are. If your shirts are tight as large, get an XL if they're loose as a large, I would still recommend getting a large if that makes sense.

Mine shipped and shipping weight is under 6 lbs. Can't wait to get it as its getting HOT out.

• Premium Member

6 LBS with the box. Ill get mine on the 8th

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Price has gone up, $35.95 now. They still have it in stock which surprises me(all sizes and colors). I am to receive mine friday, will post initial thoughts and pics if someone hasnt done so at that point. I'm 5'8 and 200 lbs so I got a L and a XL to be sure one fit. Used to closeouts going so quick there isnt an opportunity for exchange to correct size, they were cheap enough I went ahead and got both right off the bat.

Ordered a L in silver this past Saturday. My order is still showing 'In progress'. I'm getting impatient! Grrrr!!!!

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

dentalprodigy

How long did shipping take for you all??? It's 95F outside and I really don't wanna wear my 4 season jacket. I'm getting impatient too haha

• Premium Member

I got mine last night and wore it today. I normally wear either a small or medium depending on fit, and I bought a medium. I'm glad I did, because a small would have been a little snug in the shoulders and maybe arms. The loose fit made the torso no problem.
I also have an Icon Hooligan Spaztyk mesh jacket for warm weather, it is similar in weight, but has a zipper (and I couldn't resist picking up a second option for the price).
Here are my initial observations...
* The Lunatic jersey fits very nice in the shoulders and arms (a little snugger that the Icon, so it feels like the protection would stay in place a little better. Consider though, that I am not genetically inclined to ever win any body building competitions, and I program for a living YRMV. :)
* The back protection seems pretty nice as do all of the protection pads.  Nice fit and don't get in the way.
* Because it is a jersey, getting it on and off is a little more of a hassle than a jacket with a zipper.
* On my commute today the ventilation felt fantastic. It was low 90s today though instead of the upper 90s I've been riding in, but overall I would rate the ventilation a little better than the Icon Spaztyk, which ventilates very good.
* Protection is probably not as good as my Joe Rocket Textile jacket (which would overheat me in 90+ temps).
* It's 35 bucks  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Seriously...  If you want some low cost, well ventilated protection in the heat, this is a steal.

Why can't left turners see us?

dentalprodigy
I got mine last night and wore it today. I normally wear either a small or medium depending on fit, and I bought a medium. I'm glad I did, because a small would have been a little snug in the shoulders and maybe arms. The loose fit made the torso no problem. I also have an Icon Hooligan Spaztyk mesh jacket for warm weather, it is similar in weight, but has a zipper (and I couldn't resist picking up a second option for the price).
* The Lunatic jersey fits very nice in the shoulders and arms (a little snugger that the Icon, so it feels like the protection would stay in place a little better. Consider though, that I am not genetically inclined to ever win any body building competitions, and I program for a living YRMV. :)
* The back protection seems pretty nice as do all of the protection pads.  Nice fit and don't get in the way.
* Because it is a jersey, getting it on and off is a little more of a hassle than a jacket with a zipper.
* On my commute today the ventilation felt fantastic. It was low 90s today though instead of the upper 90s I've been riding in, but overall I would rate the ventilation a little better than the Icon Spaztyk, which ventilates very good.
* Protection is probably not as good as my Joe Rocket Textile jacket (which would overheat me in 90+ temps).

Seriously...  If you want some low cost, well ventilated protection in the heat, this is a steal.

Nice writeup. Getting buyers remorse for getting small size. Probably should have ordered a medium. I figured it's a jersey so it must be looser. We'll see when it arrives

Patiently waiting.... 5 days just to get out the door.

Ordered on Jul,2.
Departed - San Diego, CA, United States, Thursday, 07/07/2016
Scheduled Delivery:
Wednesday, 07/13/2016, By End of Day

Did FZ-07 Forum create a bottleneck?!

Beemer

I got mine last night and wore it today. I normally wear either a small or medium depending on fit, and I bought a medium. I'm glad I did, because a small would have been a little snug in the shoulders and maybe arms. The loose fit made the torso no problem. I also have an Icon Hooligan Spaztyk mesh jacket for warm weather, it is similar in weight, but has a zipper (and I couldn't resist picking up a second option for the price).

Is it made with one layer of material or two?

Beemer

• Premium Member

Is it made with one layer of material or two?
It's two layers.The outer layer is a ballistic nylon with open weave and the inner is a flat,  thin, nylon fabric with open weave. Although it is two layers of similar construction to my Icon jacket, it breathes better, is a little lighter construction of both layers, and the Icon has a stupid sewn in label that covers the lower half of one side in the front (negating some valuable real estate for ventilation.

Why can't left turners see us?

Simbadc650

Holy crap it's snug at xxl but I know 3xl is to big, over all wished it breathed better but well worth the price

Archived