The MT-07 Forum

Cooper's Ride Across America

cooper

Taking a rest day today in Salt Lake City and tomorrow I head west into Nevada shooting for Great Basin National Park. Saturday I'll drive to and stop somewhere in Yosemite and Sunday is my ride into San Francisco.

I'm excited for getting to my destination, but at the same you get used to life on the road and with the sites of the west you could ride for months without getting board.

I have also ridden and hung out with just about every type of motorcyclist you can imagine. I had no idea how friendly the riding community can be. Tourers, sport bikes, harleys, etc. Everyone has been cool.

The FZ has been superb. I got the oil changed in Moab at 3,600 miles and have been lubing the chain every 400 to 500 miles depending on how it looks. It just runs smooth all day.

The stock seat is decent, but I'm so glad I bought padded bicycle shorts. The kickstand seems a bit wimpy, but I don't have a lot to compare it too. Also a few times I've parked and turned the bike off with the turn signal still on. Turning the bike off won't cut it off. More of a user problem than anything else.

Best road so far (sorry no pictures) is Castle Valley Canyon in Moab. Do this road and do it at sunset. No words I'm going to put down will do it justice.

• Global Moderator
Welcome! Great place to visit but don't stay here too long. Enjoy your stay here.
He moved there....
not sure why he went mental but he did
Gratz on making it @coop

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

berettatrio
Welcome! Great place to visit but don't stay here too long. Enjoy your stay here.
He moved there.... not sure why he went mental but he did
Gratz on making it @coop
Well shoot! I guess he has great riding in his back door as a plus  :)

What's wrong with it, IYO? I'm just curious. Should he only drink bottled water as well? I thought Cali had the best taco's. Did you get a memo about it sliding into the Pacific soon?

Beemer

berettatrio
What's wrong with it, IYO? I'm just curious. Should he only drink bottled water as well? I thought Cali had the best taco's. Did you get a memo about it sliding into the Pacific soon?
I don't want to get off topic from his ride but what I said was just a playful jab. IMO I think California has some pretty stupid laws and some of the people are just not nice. Not saying all of them are that way. I've just been to other states where they people are much more pleasant. Anyway, welcome back Cooper.  

I don't mean to derail either but I hear ya! I lived in LA for a year when I was 2 1/2 yrs. old and I  still remember a neighbor giving his four yr. old a hammer and telling him to hit my 3 yr. old brother on the head with it (and he did) over some silly kid matter. Buncha crazies out there. Needless to say we moved out after just one year. It's not everyone , though. 

Beemer

I don't mean to derail either but I hear ya! I lived in LA for a year when I was 2 1/2 yrs. old and I  still remember a neighbor giving his four yr. old a hammer and telling him to hit my 3 yr. old brother on the head with it (and he did) over some silly kid matter. Buncha crazies out there. Needless to say we moved out after just one year. It's not everyone , though. 

SoCal is where all the crazies are. We're all nice up here in NorCal. Lol.

• Premium Member
Whats wrong with us crazies down here in SoCal?  8D ;-| (rofl) B-| 8-) :) P-)  

Great posts, @cooper !

Whats wrong with us crazies down here in SoCal?  8D ;-| (rofl) B-| 8-) :) P-)  

Great posts, @cooper !

Haha. Maybe I'm just a bit biased because I'm a big SF Giants fan. Lol. Other than that... I guess SoCal is cool too. ?

• 2 weeks later...

This thread went off on a tangent. Sorry for being MIA, I went on a week long backpacking trip in Yosemite. Between the road trip and camping I'm now ready to sleep in a bed for awhile.

San Francisco seems great, I'm based out of East Bay in El Cerrito near Berkeley. Any local riders want to get together sometime in the next week? I'd love to meet some riders out here!

berettatrio

I have family that live in El Cerito. Od be down to meet with some people on the weekend

This thread went off on a tangent. Sorry for being MIA, I went on a week long backpacking trip in Yosemite. Between the road trip and camping I'm now ready to sleep in a bed for awhile. 
San Francisco seems great, I'm based out of East Bay in El Cerrito near Berkeley. Any local riders want to get together sometime in the next week? I'd love to meet some riders out here!

Just let us know. There's a good brewery called Fieldworks in Berkeley we can meet if you're into beers. If not, I can think of other spots as well.

• 1 month later...

Love the the ride report. Question on the luggage set up; are there enough connection points for all the straps? Also, any issues with vibrations from the controls?

Archived