The MT-07 Forum

Cooper's Ride Across America

cooper

Day 1: Baltimore, Maryland to Loft Mountain, Virginia

I got off to a late start and hit the road around 12:30pm with the goal of getting to Skyline Drive, a pristine road that runs along the ridge of a chain of mountains in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia.
Skyline Drive is known for its beauty, well maintained surface and tons of corners. During autumn on the weekends it's a nightmare of traffic jams of Washington DC residents wanting to see the changing fall colors. Lucky for me, it's summer and this was Monday. In almost 200 miles I saw less than 50 cars.

The FZ was riding strong with its 600 miles check done and I did the oil myself. I also put a Puig touring windscreen on the front to make this trip more tolerable. It still feels very naked, but with less force sheering me from the seat and handlebars.

Made it to Loft Mountain camp grounds on the southern end of the park. Set up camp and found out my tenting neighbors were 3 cute Texan chicks on a roadtrip heading to New Jersey. They had box wine and were willing to share. Not a bad first day! Oh, there was also a guy camping in a van with black out blinds, he kind of looked serial killerish, but turned out to be quite nice. Tomorrow I hit the Blue Ridge Parkway into North Carolina.

(No wifi and no reception so this is a day late to be posted)

8bf587226eee0cae5658b3729b1a7a8e.jpge5a44f40a2d4bc5d3ef8172dc975bf8b.jpg2fcc56d9c2c1021ad893ba26dd550b52.jpg

Day 2: Loft Mountain, Virginia to Asheville, North Carolina

Today was a big milage day (for me at least) All told I did 432 miles. Not one stop light, 18 wheeler, billboard, cop, radar trap or even McDonald's. How you ask? The Blue Ridge Parkway. This road is epic I all senses of the world. Where skyline drive ends, the blueridge parkway begins. It's more of an engineered road with a faster speed limit. 45 vs 35 (neither much observed)

like Skyline Drive, it's not crowded. I saw less than 200 cars the whole day. Decent amount of Harley's, decent amount of BMWs with luggage cases. I battled some rain in the morning, but nothing to hard to make me pullover. By lunchtime it was clear skies and 75 degrees. Perfect.

The last 60 miles were tough. The sun was setting, I was sore and cursing the FZ seat (which is a perfectly good seat, I'm hi just a fool to take it touring) But I made it into Asheville and splurged on a room at Days Inn.

Tomorrow I head out for Nashville after I oil the chain. Which leads to a good question, how often should I be looking it, in terms of miles?043b88f98ac8f2145456aed9e936285c.jpg1122ba4951be525e610b9e798a9d3a2b.jpg177515e6518640d14eda15068abf85de.jpg0f4e98017b080fe8d75be06ac11ebacf.jpg

Also sorry for poor spelling, grammar and typos. I'm doing this on a beat up Lenovo phone I got second hand in Vietnam. (Yes, time to upgrade!)

• Global Moderator
Also sorry for poor spelling, grammar and typos. I'm doing this on a beat up Lenovo phone I got second hand in Vietnam. (Yes, time to upgrade!)
i cant blame ya one bit
my phone's keyboard thinks s's are a's and periods are spaces

Moar pics... we needs moaaar

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Nice updates. I'm following this thread until you get here to SF. I'm getting you some drinks once you arrive. You deserve it.

• Premium Member

Awesome!

Rules may vary, but I lube every 500 miles. Clean and lube every 1500... I usually use one of the trips to take account of my miles after each lube.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Global Moderator

Will you be passing through phoenix?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Will you be passing through phoenix?
I'm not sure yet. The southern route is definitely quicker, but the reports of high temperatures are making me think to head more northward. I'll let you know as I continue west!

@motomeek that's the exact schedule I use.

@cooper this looks like a blast, very inspirational. can't wait for updates!

i cant blame ya one bit ..
my phone's keyboard thinks s's are a's and periods are spaces

Moar pics... we needs moaaar
who tot you peeple how to speel, it's "moor" pics.  8-|  
How's the back holding up from sleeping on the ground? After just three days of it a few months ago it felt like a Mac truck had hit me from behind.

Beemer

Day 3: Asheville, NC to Nashville, TN

I woke up tired and sore from the previous day's ride so I opted to take the in the interstate and bang out some easy miles. I tool 40 which winds through the Great Smokey Mountains. Like most interstates it is full of trucks. I installed a Puig touring screen before I left, thank goodness. If any of you have them I think you will agree they are helpful. It does not turn your bike into an adventure bike, but it reduces the force and you can tuck behind it.

Got to Nashville, crashed with some friends of a friend. Ate a ton, drank a few Coronas and probably slept better than I have all year.

Day 4: Nashville, TN to Ozark, AR

More highway time on 40. No disrespect to anyone in Tennessee or Arkansas, the internet shows you have great motorcycle roads, but I want to spend the bulk of my time riding in Colorado and Utah.

That said I burned through Arkansas and am now very close to the Oklahoma border. I stopped in Memphis to visit a guy I had not seen since 04. At age 27 I thought it would be a good idea to join the army. He was in my basic training company. We both got out with medical discharges. Probably for the best, but that's another story.

40 is a decent road west of Little Rock, to the east it sucks. Think Grand Canyon like cracks between lanes which don't inspire crossing. West of Little Rock is all fresh pavement and in most places 3 lanes. Riding into sunset tonight was epic.

The FZ gets lots of looks and compliments. It seems that this part of the world is mostly Harley's and fully fared sport bikes. c2a247ff68f7aec1aab9264a523fe663.jpg4971b1bffd596a9416dbabbe6c39f2a7.jpg8f2a0d5ec3286ca3c4e3dd6e6f0a1eef.jpg

Hey Everyone,

Sorry for the late update. I'm rolling westward. Camped out tonight in Mesa Verde National Park. Spent all yesterday and half of today running twisty roads through the mountains of Northern New Mexico. Tomorrow I'll be hitting Utah.7315fa748b2b396175f3af2f485c4c9b.jpg0328c4cc57ad313ab8a6998903dd1b6b.jpg693eec5a47fcc7ab6265595b6f863961.jpg1a7824eafde683c4524996b6364080a3.jpg14d054acd42b0a066da012cb0d55eed0.jpg0ad326032e0e6af756496bd743e6b049.jpgd3ed6f561c3a0e9d3e87c20a38dfb148.jpg26ff155d480a1f37aeb2093ca246b091.jpg043b13f755da128fd1cc8ecb0086f332.jpg580f68933fc7c693bbfb66b5b7d77cfc.jpg7d0086f08f69d922ec8543470cd482a5.jpg5975b210bc38dcabf377ab5ddab14f39.jpg60882a1a6c320a439da8beec9057f28f.jpg0880865cec635019562e20ebfbe308e1.jpg

• Premium Member

Very nice! What an awesome way to cross the country! I'll be on the lookout for more updates :)

- Paulie

I noticed the Ural in the one pic, interesting bike. Did the guy say how much he paid for it? If I had one it would have to be one with a side car attached (not cheap at all) so that I could haul a cool looking Australian Shepherd along with me to play Frisbee with during down time. Sounds like you're having a blast. Curious, do you ever just stop to swim when you see a nice looking lake? 

Beemer

I noticed the Ural in the one pic, interesting bike. Did the guy say how much he paid for it? If I had one it would have to be one with a side car attached (not cheap at all) so that I could haul a cool looking Australian Shepherd along with me to play Frisbee with during down time. Sounds like you're having a blast. Curious, do you ever just stop to swim when you see a nice looking lake? 
He said he owns two, one with and one without the sidecar. He did not mention he price. It's a funky bike for sure. I've definitely stopped to go for a swim and a poor man's shower.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Cool trip! Thanks for the updates.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

i take a week off every year and go for a long ride around the country with some like-minded friends.

there is nothing in the world like it. yeah we drink too damned much, but 300-400 miles in the hot sun will cure a hangover.

and you'd be surprised how well you can sleep in a tent, on the ground, when you've been partying your way cross-country for a few days.

my advice, after years of doing rides like this:

1. Stop planning and just go fckin do it.
2. Lay out everything you think you'll need, then chuck 3/4 of it. You need socks, soap, tent, quarters, and not-much-more else.
3. Forget the destination. Every day is different so don't get caught up in where you need to be. Ride when you feel like it. Stop when you feel like it. If you don't make it to XXXXX by X'oclock: so what? If you plan your trip with required daily mileage you don't know what freedom is.
4. Buddies that go when they say they want to go are brothers. Even if they are annoying as hell on the 3rd day. Buddies who say they want to go but never seem able to make it are just buddies.
5. If your saddle sucks on the last day of the trip: replace it. Otherwise: congrats, you're a biker now.
6. If you are going to be camping/drinking, avoid air-conditioning. It will make you miserable once you've acclimated to the ourdoors.
7. 99% deet. SPF 50 (spray-on is cold!).
8. Plan for a serious bout with depression when you reintegrate with society.
9. Do not let comfort drive your decision making process.
10. When you get to the end of the line, throw a wicked drunk. You deserve it.

And never ever ever do touristy stuff. avoid places like that at all costs. you are a threat to those people because you are living. instead, seek the old US routes, take the backroads, and ask locals about places to go. local swimming holes are the best.

heres to you and your trip. cheers man. i hope we meet up sometime and swap road stories.

-HowWorkClutch

i take a week off every year and go for a long ride around the country with some like-minded friends.  
there is nothing in the world like it. yeah we drink too damned much, but 300-400 miles in the hot sun will cure a hangover.

and you'd be surprised how well you can sleep in a tent, on the ground, when you've been partying your way cross-country for a few days.

2. Lay out everything you think you'll need, then chuck 3/4 of it. You need socks, soap, tent, quarters, and not-much-more else.
3. Forget the destination. Every day is different so don't get caught up in where you need to be. Ride when you feel like it. Stop when you feel like it. If you don't make it to XXXXX by X'oclock: so what? If you plan your trip with required daily mileage you don't know what freedom is.
4. Buddies that go when they say they want to go are brothers. Even if they are annoying as hell on the 3rd day. Buddies who say they want to go but never seem able to make it are just buddies.
5. If your saddle sucks on the last day of the trip: replace it. Otherwise: congrats, you're a biker now.
6. If you are going to be camping/drinking, avoid air-conditioning. It will make you miserable once you've acclimated to the ourdoors.

And never ever ever do touristy stuff. avoid places like that at all costs. you are a threat to those people because you are living. instead, seek the old US routes, take the backroads, and ask locals about places to go. local swimming holes are the best.

heres to you and your trip. cheers man. i hope we meet up sometime and swap road stories.

Bang on advice!

This! i've done both kind of trips, one well planned and one where were were just like, ah this road looks fun. i've done it the last 2 years and the part about being depressed when you come back to reality is very true. I do it every June and i'm never ready to be home when its over!

• Premium Member

Awesome! I took a trip to Antelope Canyon and Zion National park last week and took a few back roads... in a car though. Definitely jealous of the pictures you have right in the middle of the road.

Hope you're fairing well in the heat! It was 110+ when I was there.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Archived