The MT-07 Forum

New kid from NYC, saying hello!

imkman00

Good Morning All,

Starting my time here with a big howdy from NYC.
No photos on my computer yet but I'm avoiding taxis on a 2015 in Graphite/Blue.

Stock drivetrain but have flush mount front signals, ASV breakaway levers, rear fender eliminated, sliders just about everywhere, and bar end mirrors.

Planned mods:
About 26 more locks to keep her from being 'borrowed'
Guardian Cover (Does sport bike size work for us?)
Want to get a louder exhaust to increase my visibility in traffic...and a little performance jump would be sweet too (would love rec's!!!!)

That's about all for me, other than the fact that I like long walks on beach, my ex sucks, and my dog is terribly behaved. Hooray!

Fairly new to street (this is the first bike I've owned), but been around motorcycles pretty much forever.

Decided that I was finally responsible enough in my mid-30s to trust myself with one.

mediocrebobcat

Welcome to the club! No better time to join than the present. I own the same bike, and I gotta say, every time I walk up to it, I think it gets more and more attractive.

Also from NYC, so if you're ever looking for some riding buddies let me know! We have a a group of 7 or so with two 07s (including myself).

For sure! I have had a lot of people chat me up about the bike (she's purdy). Hopefully nobody's scouting it for thievery. Met a kid with an R1 from Florida looking for moto-friends.

My work schedule basically has me being a ghost until the weekend, but I've been itching to get out of city traffic and go somewhere!

mediocrebobcat

Awesome. Yeah I've had a couple people come up to me after I've filtered to the front of a light or something and I always assume they're about to tell me what a jerk I am, but every single time they just tell me they love the bike and ask me where I got it/how much...

Anyway, we ride Bear Mountain, random places on Connecticut, LI, etc. Mostly on weekends, and usually starting at 9am or so. I'll hit you up before our next outing.

Welcome to the forum!  I'm from Brooklyn.  Lots of NYC riders here.  Motorcycling is the best way to get around the city.

Where are you from originally?  The fact that you said "howdy" tells me you're not a native New Yorker. =)

Would love to hear about upcoming rides! I really need to pick up an EZ Pass...looked like an idiot fumbling for cash with gloves on at the tunnel last week.

And indeed, like so so many folks (ha folks) in NYC, I am from elsewhere, but have been living here almost 9 years now. Originally from Denver.

mediocrebobcat

Pro tip: EZ Pass won't register if you tape it to to the plastic air intake next to the gas tank. It will however register if you hold it in your hand, go as slow as the bike will go in second gear, and pray the gate actually goes up because you no longer have enough hands to avoid the gate if it doesn't.

Think it would register if I just kept it in the cell phone pocked of my jacket? I don't much like the idea of having to hold the stinkin' thing.

mediocrebobcat

I'd guess no, but maybe! Just give it a try - if it doesn't, give them the pass after you stop and they'll scan you through. Report back with findings.

EZ pass is the worst. I've had it in my front pocket, no good. 3m'd it to my gas tank, still no good.  I just zip tied to the top handle thingy on my bookbag and guess what, no read. I literally have to come to a complete stop and wave the freaking thing around like an idiot. There must be a better way.

I went to Denver for the first time last year and had a great time visiting all the dispensaries out there.

• Premium Member

Bizarre, I keep mine on the backside of the oem flyscreen and it's been fine 5 days a week for 2 years.

Maybe the toll booths you guys are stuck with are causing the issue.

Everything went braap.

mediocrebobcat

Yeah, deff could be. Or maybe a slight difference in position makes a difference...maybe mine was somehow more obstructed to a particular scanner. Is it on right or left?

• Premium Member

Welcome imkman!
We need a picture of the dog and the bike for educational purposes. :D
Congrats and stay safe, bud.

I had no idea EZ Pass was so finicky on bikes. I'm currently looking at a stack of 40ish of them for work vehicles and we almost never have issues besides folks using job passes for personal vehicles. Ha.

Also - was wondering how long it'd be before Denver and dispensaries came up. Ha. I've never been to one, guess I'm a square like that.

Bizarre, I keep mine on the backside of the oem flyscreen and it's been fine 5 days a week for 2 years. 
Do people in cars usually have their passes attached to their windshields? If so, it probably has to do with the angle and that's why it works on a bikes windscreen so well. It's angled back.

Beemer

mediocrebobcat

Most of the guys I ride with have it somewhere up front or right under the windscreen, but since my bike has no windscreen it's not an option. I think you're right though Beemer - I've heard that before.

Must be a huge technology leap needed to make a sensor work at ANY angle or proximity...

Realized I had a couple pictures from the guy I got the bike from on my computer, as well as a dog photo...because, dog.

Attach48673_20160528_111722.jpgAttach48672_20160528_111722.jpgIMG_0202-2.jpg

That's a legit pic of the dog. Also, what brand are the mirrors?
Rare to get the dog to sit still long enough for a non-blurry photo. 
Don't rightly know what brand they are. I'll look at the mirrors when I get home and report back.

• Premium Member
Do people in cars usually have their passes attached to their windshields? If so, it probably has to do with the angle and that's why it works on a bikes windscreen so well. It's angled back.

It is parallel to the angle of the upper portion of the headlight. (area with 4 bolts)

I would agree, except that my ezpass in the van is just sitting flat on the dash and still registers reliably. It was mounted behind the rearview mirror for a while but the summer heat melted the heavy duty 3M adhesive strips.

Beats me tho.. Ezpass came out in the late 80's and I think all their tolls are still built with radio shack surplus supplies because it's one of the most poorly managed companies in the U.S.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

Nice, welcome!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Archived