The MT-07 Forum

Help: HID or LED?

othgbronco82

othgbronco82

I had a H4 HID and i loved it. The increase in distance that I could see was huge over stock. But, the low beam decided to burn out. So, I'm now debating whether or not to just get some more HID bulbs or to go LED. Which one would be better for someone looking to get the most out of their headlight but still wants decent reliability?

dentalprodigy

I've never had hid's but have heard very good things about LED headlight bulbs as far as longevity is concerned. I recently went ahead and installed the “Cyclops h4 LED bulb " and am very happy with it so far. Over stock, visibility is much much better.

thomascrown

The hid will require you to find room for the ballast, where the led is less cumbersome. Both will have terrible beam patterns, but led will have more hot and cold spots. I went led for simplicity.

Compared to the stock bulb the Cyclops H4 LED is amazing. It lights up the road well, reaches further than the stock bulb and you shouldn't have to replace it for a very long time. It's a definite improvement that's worth the money.

Beemer

• Premium Member
I went with the Osram Night Racer - very happy!

Same here
You could get a 2-pack of the bulb for about $27 shipped
Use the code: Summer20
http://www.powerbulbs.com
(Don't have the direct link at the moment)

othgbronco82
The hid will require you to find room for the ballast, where the led is less cumbersome. Both will have terrible beam patterns, but led will have more hot and cold spots. I went led for simplicity.
I already have a place for the ballast. It's where the ABS module goes on the euro model MT-07's. :D  Main thing is I want something that I won't have to worry about since having a headlight that works properly and lets me see the road is kinda  a safety concern. I've mainly been looking at another replacement HID bulb or going cyclops. I' think I'll just get the cyclops when I have the money. So, for now, high beam is on all the time. 

HID will be brighter than the LED in general but you won't ever (well, rarely) have to worry about LEDs burning out.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

othgbronco82
HID will be brighter than the LED in general but you won't ever (well, rarely) have to worry about LEDs burning out.
I'll try the LED's. If I don't like them I'll just order some decent HID's and sell the LED's on here.

• 1 year later...

I know this is bringing up an old post, but thought I’d ask for some advice while I was here.  I’m considering an LED upgrade to the stock light, and was thinking about getting the following light.  Any insights or opinions on the following?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L1NLQZ2/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1X3UT640K6SH1&colid=1US6KL9A5YVAG&psc=1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a post on this forum with picture comparisons ( I think I actually updated the pics after the photobucket disaster) . If not post here and I will repost.

The thing about leds and the later model segmented ( freznal) reflectors is that the LED emmitters are the wrong size/shape to be at the appropiate focus points for a designed light pattern.

Phillips bought out a H4 LED with the emmitters  emulating the size/position of the QI filaments that work really well and give the correct cutoff. They have subsequently changed the name of their LED subsiduary to Lumiled. There are now also cheaper brands coming out with the same design. ALL other designs do not give decent patterns. Having said that the low beam is better than QI's and the high beam not quite as good. Next gen I suppose.

Here is some pics of the Phillips design light patterns. REMEMBER this is taken with an automatic exposure so the brightness is not comparable only the pattern.

Low beam, then high beam. Note the Hi just adds a second filament not replaces it. It really needs to have more output.

LED low.JPG

LED hi.JPG

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

If the emmitters don't look like these they will give a sloppy pattern with a segmented reflector. NOTE sometimes they need to be rotated in the housing to give correct results.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LUMILEDS-Philips-LED-H4-Headlight-X-treme-High-Low-Beam-6200K-Super-Bright-CAR-/232056152716

Here is STD QI and HID in comparison. Again remember the brightness isn't comparable because of auto exposure. ONLY the pattern.

STD low/STD hi/HID low/HID hi

5aa987711996f_QIstdlow.thumb.JPG.e32a1a6ddb51a6e603a3ddf3d9c02b08.JPG5aa9876af18d6_QISTDHI.thumb.JPG.73c7ec45c1c5a894c7f2d860e5432803.JPG5aa9876103488_1HIDLOW.thumb.JPG.aa1838cabaa58091a0034b920d32f48b.JPG5aa98765190fa_2HIDHIGH.thumb.JPG.e3ec147882b0da0759360477dedba0e3.JPG

Archived