The MT-07 Forum

What is the process during/after buying your motorcycle?

The Truth

Okay, so i'm not really sure where to place this thread, so i'll just plop it here. 8-)

So as you guys know i've never purchased a brand new vehicle before, since i'm 17. And i was wondering. :D

So i put down a 1500$ deposit on a grey FZ07 a few weeks ago, and now i'm wondering what happens when it gets here. O_o

Now, i know the dealer will walk me through all of this, but i want to plan ahead, and get an idea of what's up exactly. P-)

So after i get "the call" and i go to the dealership and pay for the bike and sign and stuff, my real only main question is about the tags. I live in Maryland and i was wondering what's the process? I also was wondering how can i make my own custom license plate? I want to make it my last name which is short because it's only like 5 letters. Or something else, not sure yet. But how do i go about getting a custom plate, or a plate at all? 8-|

Like what's the main steps with all this stuff? And when do i need to get insurance by? That's my second concern. I'm a newbie to buying vehicles sorry if this thread is ridiculous to some of y'all. :P You old geezers (rofl)
noob.jpgnoob-noob-everywhere.jpg

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

The easiest process is sign papers and pay for the bike. Then ride it home and keep riding it. Dealer will take care of taxes, tags, title and registration. While you are out riding they will do all the leg work and send you everything in the mail. However you may need to pick up your tags from the dealer.

The easiest process is sign papers and pay for the bike. Then ride it home and keep riding it. Dealer will take care of taxes, tags, title and registration. While you are out riding they will do all the leg work and send you everything in the mail. However you may need to pick up your tags from the dealer.
Are you telling me i don't have to go do the dreaded MVA? 39871d1ec1723e3082b46a5b6dc9d001124deafb35e98363eb28917cb29b6a98.jpg

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

Guest MXRider

The dealer will get you your plates unless you want something custom.

Regarding insurance, you need to have that prior to taking it home. You don't want to be riding around on a bike without insurance.

It's a fairly quick and easy process.

Good tip on the insurance. Expanding on what was said above, you can have your insurance set up before you get the bike that way it is a quick call to start your policy. Just get the Vin number when the dealer calls you.

For Maryland tags/registration, the dealer will want proof of insurance. Once you get "the call" ask for the VIN number and a FAX number where your insurance agent can provide the proof that you have insurance.

Call your insurance agent and give them the VIN number and ask that they FAX proof of insurance to the dealer.

Before you pick up your FZ-07, call the dealer and verify that all of the paperwork has been completed. In my case the agent said they would FAX it next day but that wasn't true. The FZ-07 was so new that their computer system didn't accept the VIN number! So verify everything to make sure there will be no disappointments on your big day.

Then enjoy the ride home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Your insurance company will most likely want the name of any lien holder on the bike. If you are financing at the dealership, get the lien holder info when you get the VIN number to forward to your insurance company.

Your insurance company will most likely want the name of any lien holder on the bike. If you are financing at the dealership, get the lien holder info when you get the VIN number to forward to your insurance company.
I won't be financing though, i'll be paying for it all at once. 

• Global Moderator

State Farm gave me fourteen days to get a policy for my bike. I have four cars, my house, jewelry, etc. with them so maybe that makes a difference (they will insure the bike under one of the car policies for the first fourteen days). The computer did not accept the VIN when I went in so they had to manually override it. I expect it was because it is a 2015 as she said it was the first 2015 anything they had insured. Other than that it was a ten minute (and $237) exercise.

State Farm gave me fourteen days to get a policy for my bike. I have four cars, my house, jewelry, etc. with them so maybe that makes a difference (they will insure the bike under one of the car policies for the first fourteen days). The computer did not accept the VIN when I went in so they had to manually override it. I expect it was because it is a 2015 as she said it was the first 2015 anything they had insured. Other than that it was a ten minute (and $237) exercise.
My mom used to be with State Farm then i think she switched to Geico and then some bad incident they did she switched to Erie and they have like amazingly outstanding reviews, so i might get a quote with them to maybe join her policy or something, but being almost 17 still i don't know even if State Farm gives me a good deal if i'll be able to go off on my own policy? 

• Global Moderator

I would suspect being on your mom's policy will be the cheapest, but make some phone calls to find out. You do not want to find out when your bike is already here that the insurance rates are a lot more than you thought they would be.

I would suspect being on your mom's policy will be the cheapest, but make some phone calls to find out. You do not want to find out when your bike is already here that the insurance rates are a lot more than you thought they would be.
Well since i'm buying the bike all at once, i suspect i can just get liability coverage for a year or two, which should be pretty cheap? 

Guest MXRider

It's cheap until you can't file a claim. Being a new rider on a new bike I would probably advise going with a policy that has comprehensive and collision as well as liability.

• Global Moderator

Full coverage was not very much more than just liability. It made no sense to me not to get both as it was about $40 different. I think with the bike being relatively inexpensive it does not add much to get the full coverage.

If your only 17, I wouldn't pay it all at once, I'd make payments for at least a year or so, so you can build up your credit, good credit will be important for you

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

Archived