The MT-07 Forum

Akrapovic titanium

wr250x

Really thinking about this but have a question. The Web site says no refueling/ map is needed. They don't mention if that meant having the catalytic converter on. I'm in California, looking to get this pipe, leave baffles and decibel killer in, and no cat. And not having to remap.

AlbatrossCafe

You don't need any remapping/fuel control. Plenty of people run the TI with no remapping. In fact, leaving the baffles in is actually easier for the ECU than taking them out. Go ahead and grab it and don't worry about fueling.

But my question is the optional cat? Is that part needed to have the bike run safe engine wise and how they say no new maps needed with this exhaust

AlbatrossCafe
But my question is the optional cat? Is that part needed to have the bike run safe engine wise and how they say no new maps needed with this exhaust
No, the bike will run fine with or without the cat. I don't think I know anyone that has gotten it. You usually only get it if where you live has really strict emission standards e.g. Europe. In the US you will be fine without it both in terms of emissions and in terms of engine performance. With this bike, the engine is small enough that the ECU can self-tune well enough to the majority of new exhaust systems, including the Akra TI. 

Ok cool thanks for the info. I sent an inquiry to akrapovic to clarify this question just to be sure.
I didn't know the fz07 has the ability to self adjust in small amounts..I'm guessing the 02 censor is for that correct?

AlbatrossCafe

It's part of it, but yes. I would suggest reading something like this if you are still confused. This is the whole benefit of electronic fuel injection vs. a carburetor - adjustments can be made on the fly. Think of riding at 7000ft elevation vs. 500ft elevation. The air is going to be much thinner at 7000ft, and modern ECUs will adjust accordingly. Same thing happens in hot vs. cold temps. They can adjust in small increments and the Akra exhausts are designed mostly to work with the stock configuration.

Ok cool that clears things up much ..thanks
Fyi, this is the response I got today from akrapovic. .

Hello Aaron,

Thank you for your interest in Akrapovic Exhaust Systems. Unless otherwise stated in the product description, 99% of our systems are designed and developed with all stock mapping in place. We are an Exhaust engineering company not a fuel management company and therefore, we do not offer remapping advice or options.

The performance statistics located on our website are based off of all stock settings in place. We simply install the system on the stock motorcycle and run the performance test 3 times. We then take an average of the 3 outputs which is then supplied as technical data on our website for each system. For perfect perfomance and Throttle response, please reach out to our partners at DynoJet, or your local dealer for mapping advice.

As far as CA compliance goes, no full system is legal in CA. Once you alter the stock Cat, you are technically no longer complaint even if you replace the cat with our aftermarket one. This cat option is mostly utilized in Europe.

Best,

Nicole Allen, MBA

booboobusfz07

Any exhaust will run safely on our bikes.
Will it perform the best without a fuel controller of some kind? Probably not. For the most power and best mpg get a fuel controller.
In CA any motorcycle exhaust is illegal for road use. Doesn't matter slip on full system. Some places won't even ship em here because of it

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

Been running the ti exhaust w/o fuel controller despite having bought it. I'm actually going to put it on the market but keep going back and forth between keeping the DB killer in or taking it out. If you take it out, you'll need to get the ECU flashed or a fuel controller.

I personally don't worry about cats at all since registration for a motorcycle in CA doesn't require a smog test.

I'm in Canada and have this exhaust no DB killer and no cat and it sounds awesome. Loud as hell but sounds great. Definitely some drone on the highway when cruising. But I have noticed fuel mileage drop a decent amount since, so I will be looking into a fuel controller in the near future.

Akra titanium no db killer, Vagabond rear fender eliminator, Cyclone LED headlight

Guest ChicagoAJ
I'm in Canada and have this exhaust no DB killer and no cat and it sounds awesome. Loud as hell but sounds great. Definitely some drone on the highway when cruising. But I have noticed fuel mileage drop a decent amount since, so I will be looking into a fuel controller in the near future.
I noticed the opposite. I run the db killer and without a fuel controller I actually picked up a few mpgs over the course of a couple tanks of gas. I am currently waiting for my ECU to come back from 2wheeldynoworks, so then I'll probably see the mpg go down a bit - but the extra power should more than make up for it.  
With just the exhaust and no fuel tweaking I did notice a lot of top end power was missing, which is expected when adding a full exhaust and not tuning for it. 

bmwpowere36m3

Definitely won't run the same as stock… it will "run" though.

After installing the Akra carbon (waiting to flash ECU) the off-throttle response is crap and "light" (lean) at higher RPM/full-throttle (doesn't have that strong pull). Not to mention that I've stalled the bike more times in a couple of days, than I did all year prior (without Akra). The stalling is the most aggravating and safety issue.

I noticed the opposite. I run the db killer and without a fuel controller I actually picked up a few mpgs over the course of a couple tanks of gas. I am currently waiting for my ECU to come back from 2wheeldynoworks, so then I'll probably see the mpg go down a bit - but the extra power should more than make up for it.  
With just the exhaust and no fuel tweaking I did notice a lot of top end power was missing, which is expected when adding a full exhaust and not tuning for it. 

Maybe the DB killer helped with the fuel mileage by keeping back pressure, and without it's just flowing straight through. I know I'm starting to save up a bit for a power commander so i can put it back to stock for warranty :)

Akra titanium no db killer, Vagabond rear fender eliminator, Cyclone LED headlight

Guest ChicagoAJ

Don't waste your money on a power commander. Get a flash, you'll get way more for your money and can still go back to stock very easy.

Archived