The MT-07 Forum

Cogent DDC VALVES

twotone

Has anyone installed these drop in valves? From research it seems like an economical alternative to cartridges and GV Emulators, with no mods other than trimming the spring spacer, it requires a lighter oil, they feature true shim stack that puts it above GV's, and easy owner install - saves labour- and as had been recently established on this board
The stock Spring are .85> kg/mm
So a lot of riders won't need a Spring change.

Any feed back??

Cheers

• Premium Member
Has anyone installed these drop in valves? From research it seems like an economical alternative to cartridges and GV Emulators, with no mods other than trimming the spring spacer, it requires a lighter oil, they feature true shim stack that puts it above GV's, and easy owner install - saves labour- and as had been recently established on this board The stock Spring are .85> kg/mm
So a lot of riders won't need a Spring change.

Any feed back??

Cheers
Not in a FZ-07 but a KLR650 and the guy loves them, Mush easier to install then the emulator and no damper rod mods and work way better. The emulator is a fine product when you want something that fits several different makes and models but each DDC application is tested on a dyno to achieve the desired results.  

I believe the DDC also takes over rebound since it seals against the tube wall. If you want to make changes, you're still going to have to fish it out of the column of oil which is a tad messy and inconvenient. Interesting that they don't have you mod the damper rod since the "rule" has been in order to flow sufficient oil for the GVE/DDC to do it's thing you had to drill the holes big enough to negate flow restrictions.

Despite 20 years of the KLR, I don't get why Kawasaki can't be arsed to fix the suspension. People have been loudly complaining about it since it first came out.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Terry
What does the DDC lack in performance compared to a street cartridge? I'm starting to really like this design as an alternative to expensive carts.
The only cart that promises to be well featured and easy to mod is the NIX22 as JanM has revealed it has setting bank for shim stacks and and softer compression than its racing brother - NIX30- making for a better street app.

From pics the DDC appears as a two way valve rather than a one way pop off valve like GV and PD Valves.

Pattonme
I guess that's the magic of lighter oil in this application as apposed to 10-15w in GV's.
And there is a special tool that takes the inconvenience out of it If one is going to be tweeking any further than the dynoed product.
KLR Is cheap and peeps buy it for that reason. Enough said?

• Premium Member
I believe the DDC also takes over rebound since it seals against the tube wall.
The DDC does not seal against the inner fork tube wall, It fits just like the emulator and not like the intiminator. You are correct you still need to fish it out but Cogent has a nice rod with a cup and magnet inside that makes the job a whole lot easier. 

• Premium Member
Terry What does the DDC lack in performance compared to a street cartridge? I'm starting to really like this design as an alternative to expensive carts.
The only cart that promises to be well featured and easy to mod is the NIX22 as JanM has revealed it has setting bank for shim stacks and and softer compression than its racing brother - NIX30- making for a better street app.

From pics the DDC appears as a two way valve rather than a one way pop off valve like GV and PD Valves.

Hey Tony, 
Before I answer that first a little story, Jamie James won the series championship back in the day on board a emulator equipped bike, Lee Parks had two bikes back when he was racing and one was equipped with USD forks with new valves and valving and the other with conventional forks equipped with emulators. Both ran identical lap times. This was during a endurance race and the team had several riders so it was not just one rider.

IMO a DDC will perform much better then an improperly valved or designed aftermarket cartridge system. It has many hours in development both on the road as well as the dyno. The DDC is two way but on rebound it is just a check valve to allow fluid to refill the chamber. Cogent does not mention this as they don't want riders fiddling and messing things up but they do offer a tune kit for the DDC's as well. The DDC has a lo speed bleed that could be modified if one really wanted and shims stack changed if one really wanted. But with the tuning that has been done by Cogent and since the DDC is custom tailored to each application in regards to bleed size and shim stack I doubt anyone would really want to change it with the exception of maybe track riding.

The obvious dis-advantage is it does not have adjusters for the riders to fiddle with. So you would have to go back into the fork to set them, Back when working for Race Tech I timed myself on how long it took for me to pull both emulators and reset them and reinstall them on a bike with clipons, I was right at 20 minutes and no oil was flung around to mess the bike up. 

Thanks for the comprehensive coment, that pretty much covers the DDC Pros,
I guess lee Parkes being an expert installer had a lot to do with the success of the emulator equipped bike as apposed to your average home mechanic,
But your explanation in an existing thread should help with the latter.

• 1 year later...

I installed Cogent's DDC valves today.

The font end feels much better - way less harsh, better rebound characteristics and less dive on the brakes. No more jarring reaction when the front end hits bumps, and better feel through corners. Money well spent.

The improved front highlights the weaknesses of the standard shock more, ohlins rear shock next...

Archived