The MT-07 Forum

Side cover powder coat

iluvspdtt

I was originally planning on painting my plastics Glacier Frost Mica. It's a pearl white Lexus color with a blue mica mid coat. Then replacing all my textured plastic with carbon fiber and spraying them with a blue candy. In the dark it would just look black and white but in the sun it would really pop.

I was thinking of a pearl white also. Will look so clean. I think you're in the same mind set that I'm thinking right now.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the graphics I put on my fz-07.

20160802_065709_zpsds6me8gf.jpg

20160802_065735_zpslof11xso.jpg

20160802_065729_zps5jukfngb.jpg

20160802_065724_zps8bzkbbbi.jpg

And here's 2 of my other bikes, the third is in the shed.

20160802_065656_zpswp2gtpki.jpg

20160802_065807_zps2xfodmz1.jpg

And my fiancé's bike under the blanket.

20160802_065815_zpst2bl1ope.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I painted my side covers and heel guards with rustoleum satin black, and to be honest, it came out pretty crappy. I am thinking about having them powercoated to match the matte black of my raven frame.

I have also been looking at the parts for the 2016 Armor Gray US model (FZ07GGY). This model has OEM black side covers, heel guards, and even the brackets for the heel guards are black. I compared the part numbers to the part numbers of a 2016 Raven Black (FZ07GB), and it seems there is a difference in the third set of numbers. the armor gray model has a "10" instead of a "00" for the third set of numbers. Example;

RAVEN BLACK MODEL - Cover 1 - 1WS-27453-00-00
ARMOR GRAY MODEL - Cover 1 - 1WS-27453-10-00

RAVEN BLACK MODEL - Plate 1 - 1WS-27445-00-00
ARMOR GRAY MODEL - Plate 1 - 1WS-27445-10-00

Does that "10" mean that they are infact BLACK?

Buying the Armor Gray "Plates" and "Covers" for both sides would cost my a little over $100. I wonder how much it would cost to have my butchered up rustoleum pieces POWDERCOATED....

• Premium Member
What did you ceramic coat and why did you do ceramic instead of powder!? I'm curious to know the difference between the two.
Powdercoating is like a permanent paint job on the metal pieces of your bike. The ceramic coating is a coating that's placed of the pipes that's heat resistant. In fact it helps to keep the pipes cooler and from what I have read even helps with the over all horsepower of your bike.

• Premium Member
I painted my side covers and heel guards with rustoleum satin black, and to be honest, it came out pretty crappy. I am thinking about having them powercoated to match the matte black of my raven frame.  
I have also been looking at the parts for the 2016 Armor Gray US model (FZ07GGY). This model has OEM black side covers, heel guards, and even the brackets for the heel guards are black. I compared the part numbers to the part numbers of a 2016 Raven Black (FZ07GB), and it seems there is a difference in the third set of numbers. the armor gray model has a "10" instead of a "00" for the third set of numbers. Example;

Buying the Armor Gray "Plates" and "Covers" for both sides would cost my a little over $100. I wonder how much it would cost to have my butchered up rustoleum pieces POWDERCOATED....

I have mentioned before, in other posts where people had suggested for me to just paint those pieces, that I will NEVER take a can of spray paint to my bike for the very reason that you mentiomed above. Personally I would rather pay a professional rather than have anything on my bike looking shabby and me be unhappy. Sometimes trying to go the cheap route winds up being more costly and much more frustrating. I want my bike to look professiomally done, look like it came direct from the factory. But to each their own. To be honest raven I had ordered all of those parts and cancelled them because I found that it was much cheaper for me to get all of those parts powdercoated and my headers ceramic coated (and I was not limited to factory colors upon order). But again to each their own, but I would suggest you take them and have them powdercoated to your specifications.

• Premium Member

I see people on here posting that they took a spray can to parts of their bikes, in an effort to save a dollar, and they say "I guess it looks pretty good". "Pretty good" isn't good enough for me. I'd rather spend that extra dollar and have my bike looking perfect. But everybody doesn't think like me.

I have mentioned before, in other posts where people had suggested for me to just paint those pieces, that I will NEVER take a can of spray paint to my bike for the very reason that you mentiomed above. Personally I would rather pay a professional rather than have anything on my bike looking shabby and me be unhappy. Sometimes trying to go the cheap route winds up being more costly and much more frustrating. I want my bike to look professiomally done, look like it came direct from the factory. But to each their own. To be honest raven I had ordered all of those parts and cancelled them because I found that it was much cheaper for me to get all of those parts powdercoated and my headers ceramic coated (and I was not limited to factory colors upon order). But again to each their own, but I would suggest you take them and have them powdercoated to your specifications. 

Yeah, I was being cheap!

I knew there was options of buying them black from Yamaha, and I knew powdercoating is an option. I just wanted to give it a shot with a $4 can of paint before going one of the other routes. I actually prepped them pretty good, sanded, cleaned them off with alcohol, put three even coats, let dry over night, but they still look off. I see it as me giving it a shot for cheap before spending $100-$200 on something as simple as a color change. I gambled $4 to see if I could live with my work vs oem/powdercoat. Lesson learned, but it would have been nice to put that $100-$200 towards an exhaust or tune...

• Premium Member

@raven I hear you. I just rather not go thru all of that. I'd rather pay the professionals and be done with it.

@raven I hear you. I just rather not go thru all of that. I'd rather pay the professionals and be done with it.
Curious, how much did it cost you to have your covers/plates coated? I want to compare some prices in my area this week.

@raven Here you go. Would be less that $100 for you. Depending on where you choose to go.
Wow, that is not bad at all! $30 for all three of the side brackets is an awesome deal! 

• Premium Member

I'm trying to tell you! I've already done the research as I said earlier. Anyone would be a fool not to go this route at the right shop obviously. Oh by the way the shop that I use, you can mail those parts to them and they will handle it for you. I don't know what you have around you, just trying to throw you an assist.

I'm trying to tell you! I've already done the research as I said earlier. Anyone would be a fool not to go this route at the right shop obviously. Oh by the way the shop that I use, you can mail those parts to them and they will handle it for you. I don't know what you have around you, just trying to throw you an assist.
Thanks!! I will keep them in mind if I cannot find similar pricing in my area!!!

• Premium Member
Curious, how much did it cost you to have your covers/plates coated? I want to compare some prices in my area this week.
Please let me know, comparatively, what you find in your search?

• Premium Member

@rowdy you might wanna check out darrooh's gallery since you had mentioned that you were thinking about adding orange to your bike.

• Premium Member
@rowdy you might wanna check out darrooh's gallery since you had mentioned that you were thinking about adding orange to your bike.
Good idea, Thanks! 

Why can't left turners see us?

Archived