The MT-07 Forum

First time

darrooh

• Premium Member

Well I had my first track day today. It was my birthday present to myself. Got the day started early and made it to Cresson Motorsport Ranch just after gates opened.

Once I got everything unloaded and through tech inspection I had one of the vendors adjust what he could with the limited stock suspension. Unfortunately I did miss the track ride.

Riders meeting was good and then had our first meeting in the level 1 class.
We went out for the first ride around the track round Robin to see how it was. After that we went back to the classroom and went over a couple things.

Session 2 we head out to the track. Firsthe lap starts good. Turn 3 is fast blind uphill corner. I was in 3rd gear, not going too fast but I was too close for comfort to the rider in front of me. I did not slow down enough, I ended up missing the apex and running off the track. Then I laid it down on the left side.

The guys said the FZ looked okay. Just a couple scratches on the side. As I write this I'm currently in the hospital ? waiting to find out what x-rays show. My left leg is possibly fractured. Hopefully I'll keep soon.

So that's my experience for my first track day! Since I had such a good attitude about it and I was able to tell the director exactly what happened and what I did wrong I get a discount next time I'm ready to get back out.

• Premium Member

And just after I posted it found out the damage. 3 breaks total. Tibia and fibula and then also the tip of my clavicle.

Wow, first time out, that sucks! Sorry to hear that, I hope you get well soon! I have to ask though, were you wearing protective gear?

Beemer

• Premium Member
Wow, first time out, that sucks! Sorry to hear that, I hope you get well soon! I have to ask though, were you wearing protective gear?

Yes I was. Thankfully it was a rental suit from the organization and not some brand new suit that I just got. Unfortunately they had to cut it off.

• Global Moderator
Out of surgery. All is good.
How unlucky...
heal up
get your leg back over that bike....
and go for another track day :P

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
f4f271cf3b927cf08fed508e332aa9b0.jpg
the circle is turn 3 and the red x is roughly where I ended up. Getting discharged in a couple hours so still no pictures of the bike but do have some pretty cool ones of the break before and after surgery.

• Premium Member

The track is no joke but its a safer place to play and hone your skills.

I had an accident no to long ago no hospital visit but I got a concussion fractured my hand road rash on my left arm and several cuts and bruises. It shook me up more than I thought it did. I lost a ton of confidence I ended up low siding 2 more time after that one in gravel and one more time on a double yellow in the rain all with in a month ( 3 crashes ). Then I had a my second track day a few days later almost crashed there on my first lap and man I felt like poop. By the end of the day I had my confidence back because I kept with it but now I have a new appreciation for riding( I just started riding last year).

Even the most experienced riders can have a bad day but the risk is always worth the reward of riding at least for me, for now.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

Yikes! Well at least everything (you) is still in one whole piece. Speedy mend to you.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Holy crap, not a happy birthday ... just a lay down an 3 fractures  :o

And just after I posted it found out the damage. 3 breaks total. Tibia and fibula and then also the tip of my clavicle.

• Premium Member
Holy crap, not a happy birthday ... just a lay down an 3 fractures  :o 

Well on my actual birthday I got the happy so there's that. Then the three breaks a couple days later unfortunately.

• Premium Member

I'm really sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident, but at least you're (mostly) ok. You can bounce back from a broken leg.

What we used to tell people when I taught the MSF course, is that there are two types of riders, once that have gone down, and ones that will. If you ride long enough, you'll be in the former category.

You got yours out of the way, in a safe environment. Hopefully it'll be smooth sailing from here on out :)

- Paulie

Wow, glad you are healing up and sorry to hear about the crash. I low sided mine too and my bike came out well too.  Only thing I had to fix was new Renthals.  Since then I have added a few things.  Hope when you get to looking at the bike that you won't have to spend much on her to get her fixed.  Hope you keep riding!

Wes

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Wow, glad you are healing up and sorry to hear about the crash. I low sided mine too and my bike came out well too.  Only thing I had to fix was new Renthals.  Since then I have added a few things.  Hope when you get to looking at the bike that you won't have to spend much on her to get her fixed.  Hope you keep riding! 
Wes
Thanks @wesleyc6. Haven't been on the site in awhile. I got lucky and didn't end up in a cast. Currently in a walking boot but still cant stand on it. I get to make the 2 hour trip back to the doctor next week to have x-rays done to see how I'm healing. I haven't even gotten to look at the 07 yet  :'( . Its just sitting in my garage but its so crowded in there I cant get around using crutches. 
I talked to Paulie already when it first happened about getting the parts needed to fix my rearsets but that is still a long ways off. Will have to order a new windscreen or just temporarily go without again as it isn't something that's actually needed.

• Global Moderator
Wes
Thanks @wesleyc6. Haven't been on the site in awhile. I got lucky and didn't end up in a cast. Currently in a walking boot but still cant stand on it. I get to make the 2 hour trip back to the doctor next week to have x-rays done to see how I'm healing. I haven't even gotten to look at the 07 yet  :'( . Its just sitting in my garage but its so crowded in there I cant get around using crutches. 
I talked to Paulie already when it first happened about getting the parts needed to fix my rearsets but that is still a long ways off. Will have to order a new windscreen or just temporarily go without again as it isn't something that's actually needed.
What windscreen did you have?
Is it just the polycarb thats broken or the mount too?

• Premium Member

Fabbri Gen-X sport screen. Bottom left side broke off.

• Global Moderator
Fabbri Gen-X sport screen. Bottom left side broke off.
Ouch... sorry dude

Archived