The MT-07 Forum

Carbon fiber parts, do we need ???

wangshin248

wangshin248

Hey guys, how do you think about carbon fiber parts? It looks nice and durable, I'm thinking to replace side tank cover, and some black plastic parts on my bike, however, It costs too much....So can you give me your opinions ?

• Global Moderator

There are several retailers online that sell carbon fiber parts for the Fz/mt07

As stated above though they are quite expensive....but... I could easily see dropping about 10 pounds out of just the black plastics on most of our bikes

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator

I would do it for looks. I cannot imagine that dropping a few pounds of weight would even be noticeable. Carbon fiber is expensive though.

• Premium Member

If well made, its always a nice option to have wherever possible.

For grins and giggles here is a carbon-fiber pushrod I had the misfortune of breaking over 20 years ago. The manufacturer couldn't believe it and had me return it for inspection... deemed a manufacturing flaw; the first he'd ever seen. So, even top-drawer products from reputable producers can have issues, even hand-made carbon.

• Premium Member

Take it from a carbon fiber bicycle weight weenie... some things are just not worth it. I have a 12 lbs road bike that is made out of every day rideable and reliable parts. Most are carbon, but some are alu, and the cost of the carbon is exponentially high. On a motorcycle, the only justification (unless you are racing) is looks. That said, it would be pretty fun to outfit all of the plastic crap on the bike with CF. I don't think there would even be one pound of weight difference but it would look cool. Oh yea... that's another thing that scares me... How long would the parts look cool??? I wanna see some wind dummies on this one. :)

Why can't left turners see us?

I've debated doing a couple of the textured black plastic parts but just for looks. I've considered smoothing them out at work and then having them hydrodipped. Looks of carbon without the price tag.

I wouldn't do it for the minimal weight savings, but I would love to replace the faux carbon look plastics. I actually ordered a center tank guard from motocomposites to check out the quality and was sadly disappointed for the price. I can do a full review with pictures soon, but in the mean time you can check out my thoughts on this reddit post. Definitely wouldn't use them for anything structural, but based on the fitment issues and slight visual imperfections I would be hesitant to buy anything more complex. Another Reddit user ordered a rear hugger / chain guard so maybe they will have better luck.

If someone could offer high quality matte finish twill weave parts I would buy in a heartbeat.

I was thinking of doing carbon vinyl wrap on some of the plastics at some point. If I really wanted weight savings I would just take all the plastics off...

I have made carbon stuff for mine. Some for weight and some completely useless junk just for fun ( like the pointless side frame covers than do nothing).
P2110008.jpg
picview20save2.jpg
Little air divider from an extended Cagiva Raptor mold I made.
DSCN0938.jpg
This one looks a little rough but it is mainly the flash and the angle. Looks better in real life.
DSCN0927.jpg

No I don't do stuff for other people. I am now experimenting with a new( ish) fibre called innegra, which is almost as light as carbon but much cheaper, doesn't shatter and almost as strong in tension but stronger in compression. Looks aweful raw though so needs painting or putting some carbon on the outside.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived