The MT-07 Forum

Roam 3 Over-heating?

robertbishop

robertbishop

I've been enjoying my Contour Roam3 (action cam) for over a month now, but today something strange has happened...

Just got back from a 2 hour ride to find that it stopped recording on its own at about the 90 minute mark. The SD card is far from full and it definitely still has battery seeing as the red light is still on.

The light won't turn off and the camera is totally un-responsive,even when I connect it to my computer...

Anybody have any experience like this? Did the Alabama heat just fry this thing? Sad part is, for my part of the world, it's not even truly hot yet. :/

Hard to say what caused it. Things just love to freeze up and when they do I just chalk it up to "Made in China". With my computer it just takes awhile, a long while, to finish what it was doing and then BLIP! It unfreezes and starts working again. Try taking the battery out and see what happens after that.

Lived on Ft. Rucker and Daleville outside base, it does get nasty hot/humid there. I used to run across the street barefoot and it hurt, the tar bubbled up and stuck to my feet. Ouch!

Beemer

I have a Roam 2, Roam 3, and an Ion Air. Roam 2 exhibited some strange behavior after a year where it doesn't charge properly on my PC USB even though I've used that to charge for the entire year. I now have to plug it directly into the outlet from a wall using any usb/outlet adapter.

Have you already reset the camera using the reset button?

The ion air occasionally gets frozen when I connect it to the PC, where only thing I can do to correct it is hit the reset button.

Anyway, haven't run across the problem where it just cuts out like that. I did get my last video corrupted on the Roam 2 when the power ran out after 2 hours. This is what we have to deal with if you choose not to go with the very ugly, boxy, gaudy but extremely reliable Go Pro.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

robertbishop
This is what we have to deal with if you choose not to go with the very ugly, boxy, gaudy but extremely reliable Go Pro.

So true

And yes, reset occurred to me, but not until after it died (the battery), I assume from the little red light on the front being constantly on, it also remained rather hot long after I got it out of the sun entirely.

Will update if it magically starts working again, not that it would solve any mysteries...

robertbishop

Yep... works again. It decided it would take a charge long after it had completely cooled off. Still not with the computer, but with the wall plug I use to charge my phone.

Still kinda bummed that this problem exists, but hey, at least it's not garbage. Thanks China! Lol

AlbatrossCafe
I've been enjoying my Contour Roam3 (action cam) for over a month now, but today something strange has happened... 
Just got back from a 2 hour ride to find that it stopped recording on its own at about the 90 minute mark. The SD card is far from full and it definitely still has battery seeing as the red light is still on.

The light won't turn off and the camera is totally un-responsive,even when I connect it to my computer...

Anybody have any experience like this? Did the Alabama heat just fry this thing? Sad part is, for my part of the world, it's not even truly hot yet. :/
Yes. I have a Roam3. This happens from time to time where the thing won't shut off. Toggling the recording switch does nothing. It is still recording, but is completely locked. I use it daily on my commutes and it probably happens once a month or so. I just wait till it runs out of battery and it is fine again. Don't think there is anything you can do to prevent it. It is definitely not the heat. I had it happen when riding in below freezing temps as well.

I wouldn't worry about it. I've been using mine for 1.5 years despite these issues and other than the few times it occurs it still works perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Electronic anything... first thing is ALWAYS to turn it off, wait, and then on (reboot) again!!! Works more often than not in most situations!!! All the best.

Archived