The MT-07 Forum

Suction cup tank bag

squiernut

Just scored a suction cup mount tank bag off Craigslist.  Never seen one before.  For $30, I figure I'll try it out.  Picking it up later this morning.

Here's the one I'm getting:  https://www.denniskirk.com/gears/pro-genesis-suction-cup-mount-tank-bag-100200-1.p507559.prd/507559.sku

Anyone have any experience with this or one like it?

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Let us know how the suction cups work, there's been a lot of debate about the magnetic type being a problem for this particular bike and many don't seem to be big fans of straps. The bag looks good, nice and roomy.

Beemer

I installed the tank bag yesterday, but haven't given it a full speed test yet. It took a bit of time to find 4 flat spots on the tank for the suction cups to stick. Fortunately, the base has plenty of holes & slots to accommodate and there's a quick release strap that runs thru the front of the frame. Even tho it's not that big, it's pretty close to the bars. At full lock, the bag interferes with the bars, but it's soft enough to not be a problem. And I almost never need full lock. I'll take some pics as soon as I can and post them up.

• 1 month later...

Cool idea on the backpack. How do you fasten it to the bike?

Update on the tank bag:
I quit using it. It worked well, but was tricky to get all four suction cups stuck on, as there aren't many flat surfaces on the FZ tank. It also left 4 little circles where the suction cups were. And, to get the base lined up so I could fuel up, left the bag too close to the instrument cluster, blocking the idiot lights on bottom. Probably not a big deal to some, but it bugged me.

I did find this tail bag tho: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Riding-Tribe-Motorcycle-Leather-Saddle-Bags-Travel-Tool-Tail-Bag-Waterproof-Riding-Handbag-Backpack-Motocicleta-Oil/32634811846.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.54.tzEQq2

It's definitely small, but all I wanted was something to toss a lunch and my phone into, and it's perfect for that. I'm sure it'll fade quickly if I leave it out in the sun, but for >$20, I'll just pitch it and buy another one.  One of these days I may find another pillion or a rear cowl for cheap and 'permanently' fasten the tail bag to it.   

Guest 2wheeler
 One of these days I may find another pillion or a rear cowl for cheap and 'permanently' fasten the tail bag to it.   
I found one on ebay for $30 delivered. It had a couple scuffs on it, but considering that it is a permanent base, that was no big deal. 
Remember when looking on ebay put in MT-07 as well as FZ-07.

I'll post a picture of how I put the backpack on the bike. I tried riding with it on my back but I got tired, and it was an epiphany because my back was killing me. I rode with it like that the remainder of the trip. (Texas to Cali & back)

Archived