The MT-07 Forum

Chain O-Ring Question

grudus

So was cleaning & lubing my chain today 5,000 miles and I noticed a little piece of black rubber sticking up.  Pulled it out and looks like it is part of the O-Ring.  Is this something I need to be worried about?  

For cleaning I am just using kerosene and a grunge brush to clean, then cleaning the chain off with a shop rag,  then using Motul chain lube on the chain.  Pretty much what they do in this video 

Piece of rubber looked like the below pen for size.

A3dsPOj.png

It's probably a dead O-ring, you may need to start looking for a new chain. Might still be covered under factory warranty if that applies to you. Not sure if you are able to replace dead O-rings but it's something work looking up.

Teehee, I've seen full strength Simple Green remove paint from shelving.

They had that bike on a center stand and a rear stand.

If it's just that link, you might be able to buy a new link and rings - like the last link that comes with a new chain - You'll need a proper tool to push out the pins of the link with the bad o-ring and then stake the pins on the new link once the outer plate is on.

Keep an eye on that link as it'll wear faster than the rest.

Was like 3 places that I saw a little piece of O-Ring sticking out that was by far the biggest. Still under warranty though will just talk to dealer to see what they can do about it. Not sure why it is doing this always clean and lube every 500 miles and doesn't seem to tight. First bike though maybe I am doing something wrong.

Thanks for the help.

• Global Moderator

talk to your service dept about the warranty...
if they refuse you... think about upgrading

http://sprocketcenter.com/ offers complete kits

dc76bfe93fb66f911ac5355194c7e870.jpg

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

might have just gotten a bad chain. It might be a warranty cover. You've nothing to lose to ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Closest i get to cleaning a chain is wiping the side plates with a paper towel. I just let the lube I use fling the bulk of the dirt off. A good chain will easily last 20k miles with just this little maintenance.

What are those grunge brush bristles made of that they are so stiff they are tearing the rings.?

dentalprodigy

Not saying this might be the culprit but don't be like me. I thought I bought a chain cleaner and lube. Turns out, I bought 2 bottles of chain cleaner from different companies yet never bought lube. So for 3000 miles, all I did was chain cleaner (2 times) with no lube. Thankfully I rectified the problem after I took a closer look at the two products. So again don't be a silly goose like me.

• 3 weeks later...
dentalprodigy
So was cleaning & lubing my chain today 5,000 miles and I noticed a little piece of black rubber sticking up.  Pulled it out and looks like it is part of the O-Ring.  Is this something I need to be worried about?   
For cleaning I am just using kerosene and a grunge brush to clean, then cleaning the chain off with a shop rag,  then using Motul chain lube on the chain.  Pretty much what they do in this video 

Piece of rubber looked like the below pen for size.

A3dsPOj.png

Re reading this thread. OP I'm having the same problem now. Might end up replacing the chain at the end of this season. Maybe a new chain and sprocket.

Q) How many miles did you have on yours when this started happening? For me this started happening around 6-7k miles.

I also used the grunge brush from cycle gear ($10 bucks). It's bristles are overly stiff as well. Since then I've been using a Lisle 14000 parts cleaning brush. Might stick to just rags and kerosene because I don't want to keep killing o rings.

https://youtu.be/-ygDFzGuCxo

• Premium Member

In my experience... Oring chains on a motorcycle do not really need to be cleaned with a brush, if I do clean an Oring chain I'm just wiping the built up wax on the outside of chain...I give my chain a light spray down every 2 weeks using chain wax, that lubes the metal to metal contacts with chain and sprocket... As for the Grunge brush, that I only use on NON- Oring chains like on my dirt bike, as remove as much stuff as you can so you can " 're seal" the chain with chain lube/wax" so grim does not get between the rollers on the chain which cause heavy premature chain wear...it's my personal preference on a Oring chain is to keep the chain " looking kinda dirty" the slight wax sheen on chain helps keep rust down and what not...over 12k miles on stock chain...only been adjusted 2 times...can post pictures of needed...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

You're the second person to post this issue recently, my advice is to ditch the brush. The stiff brush is probably what's damaging the orings, just use a rag and wipe clean. If you start seeing a dull red/brown coating on the links that's the internal lube getting out, you will need a new chain.

bellissimoto
You're the second person to post this issue recently, my advice is to ditch the brush. The stiff brush is probably what's damaging the orings, just use a rag and wipe clean.

Ditto.

:)

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

bmwpowere36m3

That's surface rust... not the end of the world. But I'd clean it up a little with a scotch-brite and oil/wax the chain afterwards. I use a grunge brush with WD-40 and haven't had problems on any bike... anything is possible though.

Did you use petrol ( gas for US citizens, although gas is actually a physical state rather than a specific substance). It will do exactly that to the O rings by softening them and making them swell.
Either way you need a new chain.
You could remove and replace with a joining link which will come with new O rings , but it got that way for a reason and if there is one, there is likely to be more. There is NO problem with using more than one of the CORRECT joining links.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

dentalprodigy
Did you use petrol ( gas for US citizens, although gas is actually a physical state rather than a specific substance). It will do exactly that to the O rings by softening them and making them swell. Either way you need a new chain.
You could remove and replace with a joining link which will come with new O rings , but it got that way for a reason and if there is one, there is likely to be more. There is NO problem with using more than one of the CORRECT joining links.

I did use kerosene in the last couple of times using a harsh grunge brush(very stiff bristles). I'll definitely be replacing it by end of this season.

Kerosene should be fine. Won't hurt the rings. Stiff bristle brushes don't usually hurt them. Maybe just a bad one .

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Kerosene should be fine. Won't hurt the rings. Stiff bristle brushes don't usually hurt them. Maybe just a bad one .
I had 17,000 miles on my first chain and I was using kerosene and a cheap imitation grunge brush every weekend on it, never had a problem.  Finally, I decided to buy the real Grunge brush.  Immediately after hosing down the chain, I noticed that practically every single link had broken o-rings.  
I ordered a new chain and sprockets that day and also went down to the store and bought a cheap nylon bristol brush for the top of the chain.  I continue to use the real Grunge brush now but only for the sides.  I make sure to never let it make contact with the top of the chain.  

My second set of chain and sprockets were changed just recently with 20,000 miles on it.  They were perfectly fine.  I only changed it cause ... it had 20,000 miles on it.

Bottom line:  For me, it was the Grunge brush.

^ On an old chain... maybe if you blew on it too hard they'd have fallen apart ;)
I doubt they were dry. Each chain was less than 6 months old.

Archived