The MT-07 Forum

GPR Stabilizer FZ-07 *updated*

mericc

Actually, everything that spins will have a precession. Spin a top or gyroscope, as it slows down, it will start to rotate around it's centerline as well as spin.

Back in the old days of 19" front wheels on road bikes, that wobble occurred at multiples of 40 mph or so. And yeah, if it started up at 80, you better back off easy or get past that speed sooner than later. Thankfully, most of those bikes couldn't get to the next multiple.

My R100RS had a steering damper OE. Right around 100 mph (it had an 85 mph speedo, so it was only a guess as the speedo was pegged) it start to weeble wobble/teeter totter side to side. It never got out of control, ya just had to relax so as not make it deadly. That bike also had tapered rollers in the head bearings so there was tons of damping.

I have no issue with adding a damper to the FZ. I'm just too slow these days to need one.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
speedingtickets

Riding off road I crashed my KTM XCF 20 times in one year, one time it was pretty serious. I installed a Scotts damper and only went down once in 200 miles after that. I have bad highways in New England because of the winters, 395 in CT is a mess. On the FZ-07 I noticed a slight wobble at 104 MPH hitting potholes and other things in the road. At that speed, $500 for a GPR Stabilizer doesn't seem excessive. If the wife gives you the big frown face about the price, tell her "it prevents your Widow Maker from getting a Death Wobble." If she loves you, she will agree that it is a good idea. I am installing a GPR Damper and preload fork adjusters in my FZ next week, I will update the results.

• Premium Member

i put steering dampers on all my bikes.-even my 250 track bike.all they have to do is save your ass once and they are worth it.the FZ07 seems pretty stable,but iv'e got the front end pretty slappy under acceleration over bumps.i think it's a good mod for any bike.

This thing literally just saved my ass today from wobbling down hill due to wtf gravel and almost falling off the side of palomar mountain

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
speedingtickets

I don't care what anyone says! I just put one in and did 110 mph on pothole highway (395 CT), I was going to max it but there was traffic. It changed the bike's performance completely, I have much, much more confidence, the wind does not push me around anymore and the suspension feels much better. I could have let go of the handlebars and driven the bike just shifting my weight. Super sports don't put these things in stock for looks. As far as my favorite mods go, this mod is tied with the (Power Commander V /Yoshimura pipe / K&N High Flow combo). 

I wish they were more affordable because I definitely see the safety benefits

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

Anyone who experiences having the bars violently ripped from thier grip knows a steering stabilizer isn't going to do anything. It can't.

-HowWorkClutch

bmwpowere36m3
Anyone who experiences having the bars violently ripped from thier grip knows a steering stabilizer isn't going to do anything. It can't.
Are you saying they [steering stabilizers] are worthless?  Because many would disagree... they are commonly used on bikes either is high-speed desert riding to technical rocky single-track to road racing to bikes with very aggressive head angles.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

yes i am saying that. most people disagree with things just because they can. this does not make them right.

-HowWorkClutch

bmwpowere36m3
most people disagree with things just because they can. this does not make them right.
Ironic isn't it ;)

• Premium Member
speedingtickets
The only people who should be voicing their opinion are the people who actually have a GPR on their FZ-07. If you are doing the speed limit while listening to AM talk radio for 20 miles every Sunday, then a stabilizer is not necessary, find another post. If you are riding everyday, breaking your last speed record every time you ride, then this can save your life. I have done about $3000 in mods so far and a stabilizer was the second best mod. I took the bike in for a stabilizer, a 45 minute ride to Motorsport Nation, heavy wind and scattered rain, I did 65 terrified, being blown in every direction. One hour later, on the way home, same conditions, I broke my last speed record of 104 and did 110, fearless. (Note: I have a windscreen that also helps at these speeds) I would have sworn I was on a different bike. Anyone who disagrees with me has obviously not tried this stabilizer on this bike, so put one in or shutta you mouth!  >:D

Just being humorous...

bmwpowere36m3
The only people who should be voicing their opinion are the people who actually have a GPR on their FZ-07. If you are doing the speed limit while listening to AM talk radio for 20 miles every Sunday, then a stabilizer is not necessary, find another post. If you are riding everyday, breaking your last speed record every time you ride, then this can save your life. I have done about $3000 in mods so far and a stabilizer was the second best mod. I took the bike in for a stabilizer, a 45 minute ride to Motorsport Nation, heavy wind and scattered rain, I did 65 terrified, being blown in every direction. One hour later, on the way home, same conditions, I broke my last speed record of 104 and did 110, fearless. (Note: I have a windscreen that also helps at these speeds) I would have sworn I was on a different bike. Anyone who disagrees with me has obviously not tried this stabilizer on this bike, so put one in or shutta you mouth!  >:D

Don't sweat it, he likes to disagree with a lot of things... that's why I find his last post ironic. Anyway it's a forum... and people voice their opinions.

Actually, not breaking the speed limit and riding like a moron will probably do more to save your life than a stabilizer...but..well....Darwinism is alive and strong.

• Premium Member
speedingtickets
Actually, not breaking the speed limit and riding like a moron will probably do more to save your life than a stabilizer...but..well....Darwinism is alive and strong.
Natural selection, funny. I don't ride like a moron! Unless you consider doing 110 on a bike hardly capable of it moronic. OK, so I will give you this one. :) So what do you suggest? Should I get super sport? To be honest, I don't have kids and I would rather it be lights out on a bike than hear, "you have 3 months to live, get your affairs together." However, that does not mean I don't value my own life. I don't endanger others and I do carefully pick my moments to go fast. I ride with a Shoei X12, Kevlar liners, armored boots, armored gloves, elbows, knees, back and chest, all CE I and II rated, and yeah, it is hotter than Hell wearing all of it. I got conditioned to wear this stuff from motocross and I feel naked without it. I took the expert course and I will take the advanced in the Fall when it cools down. I am also signing up for track days this month to get the "adrenaline craving" out of my system.  
This FZ just screams, "FASTER!" 

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

Just being humorous...

back when Rossi was a kid, he asked me how i could push so hard and with such precision.

i looked him straight in the eye and said "you need a steering stabilizer bruh".

i think the results speak for themselves.

-HowWorkClutch

Natural selection, funny. I don't ride like a moron! Unless you consider doing 110 on a bike hardly capable of it moronic. OK, so I will give you this one. :) So what do you suggest? Should I get super sport? To be honest, I don't have kids and I would rather it be lights out on a bike than hear, "you have 3 months to live, get your affairs together." However, that does not mean I don't value my own life. I don't endanger others and I do carefully pick my moments to go fast. I ride with a Shoei X12, Kevlar liners, armored boots, armored gloves, elbows, knees, back and chest, all CE I and II rated, and yeah, it is hotter than Hell wearing all of it. I got conditioned to wear this stuff from motocross and I feel naked without it. I took the expert course and I will take the advanced in the Fall when it cools down. I am also signing up for track days this month to get the "adrenaline craving" out of my system.  
This FZ just screams, "FASTER!" 

This is America, you're welcome to do whatever you want with your own life.  The only suggestion i have for you is to not endanger others.  You may THINK you're doing everything perfectly so as to not effect anyone else but you simply cannot control that, even on a track. 
We all take risks, period, i just like to think i measure mine well, and reasonably.

So much hate on a stabilizer lol,

If this was the case i wouldnt even have bothered posting this...

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

• Premium Member

This lil fz-07 doesn't need a steering stabilizer cuz it can Turn mid turn if you want it too...the steering stabilizer in my view is good for track bikes because they push the limits of handling compared to just normal street riding...I would be happier to spend the money for a slipper/ slider clutch and suspension then a steering stabilizer...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

bmwpowere36m3
I'm waiting for a cheaper alternative. I think there are benefits for sure.
Probably not going to happen... unless you find a used one. GPR, Scotts, Ohlins, etc... they pretty much sell for the same money ~$500 + any bike-specific bracketry.

This lil fz-07 doesn't need a steering stabilizer cuz it can Turn mid turn if you want it too...the steering stabilizer in my view is good for track bikes because they push the limits of handling compared to just normal street riding...I would be happier to spend the money for a slipper/ slider clutch and suspension then a steering stabilizer...
I say thanks for the post. Personally I would get one for my bike but the new BMW R1200R Lc (with stabilizer from the factory by the way) has left me a bit short on funds for the time being.

thomascrown
I say thanks for the post. Personally I would get one for my bike but the new BMW R1200R Lc (with stabilizer from the factory by the way) has left me a bit short on funds for the time being.
You have both an FZ07 and R1200R waterboxer?  How do you like the R1200R?  I was thinking of supplementing the FZ07 with something more long distance friendly.  Either S1000XR or R1200R.  

My doctor said he gave his FZ 07 a full exam and it was stable so everyone relax.

[attachment id=701" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

You have both an FZ07 and R1200R waterboxer?  How do you like the R1200R?  I was thinking of supplementing the FZ07 with something more long distance friendly.  Either S1000XR or R1200R.  
I have to say the R1200R waterboxer is marvelous. I've ridden the FZ07 30 miles since I got it 2 months ago. I had a 2013 R1200R that I traded in for it. One demo ride convinced me, lost a bunch of money on the 2013 but I'm perfectly happy now. Good thing about BMW is you can probably get a demo ride on both. 

Someone just started a thread on here about the H2 and the H2R. In it, he posted a video of a racer doing 206MPH on the H2R at the Isle of Man. In said video, you can see some good head shake on the H2R. So, based on what some folks seem to suggest in this thread, our beloved $7k FZ-07 is more stable than a $50k bike built to go over 200 MPH. Pfffttt... Suuuuuurrrrrrrrrrre. :)

It's a great bike, the FZ-07, but it's far from perfect. If you don't think a stabilizer could help out, you aren't riding hard enough.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Archived