The MT-07 Forum

GPR Stabilizer FZ-07 *updated*

mericc

hey fz fam, finally got the bike back, well awhile ago actually...just finally had time to post the final product, so far i notice the difference riding the bike, but thats just me, should be out by next week or end of the month? anyways here you go

1491491_10152408929553806_978921668957916669_o.jpg

heres what it does, its a hydraulic unit that stabilizes the head from high speed shake,
 the GPR part being the moving part and the arm that goes to it being stationary, use the knob to turn up the valving to help stop head shake and there you go, a piece of mind at 80mph. Pretty much to avoid a tank slap.

http://youtu.be/-k26h7XOpHo</a>

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
olderthandirt

My opinion only...but it isn't needed on a FZ-07. I rode it like a GP Roadrace and got zero headshake. Spend the money on the front forks.

Congress is the only whore house in the United States that loses money.

My opinion only...but it isn't needed on a FZ-07. I rode it like a GP Roadrace and got zero headshake. Spend the money on the front forks.

I only did this cause it was free for me, but yeah to each his own

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

Greenhound386

Looking forward to feedback on this. I think the bike would really benefit from it. Granted it's a band-aid for a bigger issue, but it's cheap insurance in my book.

2011 ZX-6R
2015 FZ-07

olderthandirt
Looking forward to feedback on this. I think the bike would really benefit from it. Granted it's a band-aid for a bigger issue, but it's cheap insurance in my book.
How would an FZ-07 benefit from an issue it doesn't have? I think all you guys want to do is sell useless Shet that people do not need. And I don't think it's a coincidence that both you and Mericc are from San Diego. Do you both work for GPR Stabilizers? How much are they paying you to hawk their crap?"

How would an FZ-07 benefit from an issue it doesn't have? I think all you guys want to do is sell useless Shet that people do not need. And I don't think it's a coincidence that both you and Mericc are from San Diego. Do you both work for GPR Stabilizers? How much are they paying you to hawk their crap?"

They might not work for GPR, but just jumping the guns. "How would an FZ-07 benefit from an issue it doesn't have?"
I agree with you, the tank slapper effect should be a no issue with the FZ-07.

hollisterjoe

A stabilizer does more than prevent tank slappers. Pot holes, shet roads etc... Your shoulders or a stabilizer takes the jolt.

No I do not work for gpr and a buddy of mine on an fz07 just tank slapped on palomar mountain today from coming out of a turn, don't know if he was kidding, cause he texted me if i got my bike back...but sadly no, anyways just jumping on getting parts made for our bikes especially if I can get it for free,

sorry if I've offended you or anything , I'm not trying to sell Shet but just give a review on a product, it's your choice if you want it or not

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

Guest MXRider

Steering dampers are nice to have even if a bike isn't prone to head shake. They are used on race bikes in virtually every form of racing. It's far from a useless mod.

olderthandirt
Steering dampers are nice to have even if a bike isn't prone to head shake. They are used on race bikes in virtually every form of racing. It's far from a useless mod.
Yes they are used on RACE bikes. An FZ07 isn't a race bike. If somebody wanted to do trackdays on a FZ07 or they had Cup Races for FZ-07's...then it might be useful. But even then if our bikes don't exhibit any headshake it's just a poser tool and a waste of money.  

Guest MXRider

Yes they are used on RACE bikes. An FZ07 isn't a race bike. If somebody wanted to do trackdays on a FZ07 or they had Cup Races for FZ-07's...then it might be useful. But even then if our bikes don't exhibit any headshake it's just a poser tool and a waste of money.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I know for a fact it's not a poser tool or waste of money.

olderthandirt

You're entitled to your opinion, but I know for a fact it's not a poser tool or waste of money.
Well if you know for a fact...then tell us about your experience riding an FZ 07.  

Guest MXRider

I demo'd one last month. Pretty neutral handling bike but anyone who rides at a faster pace or does track days like myself will benefit from the added stability they give.

I've ran dampers on all my road bikes and my supermotos and have never felt it was a waste.

Something you should consider regarding your numerous posts on this board is that not everyone is the same. There are no absolutes and what you might find stupid or a waste will not be the case for others.

olderthandirt
I demo'd one last month. Pretty neutral handling bike but anyone who rides at a faster pace or does track days like myself will benefit from the added stability they give.  
I've ran dampers on all my road bikes and my supermotos and have never felt it was a waste.

Something you should consider regarding your numerous posts on this board is that not everyone is the same. There are no absolutes and what you might find stupid or a waste will not be the case for others.
You "demo'd one" ???  So you're trying to tell us that you flogged that FZ 07 for all it was worth and dragged the footpegs in all the corners and you're certain that the FZ 07 needs a steering damper based on your demo ride? Please explain the instability you found on your demo ride. I'm an ex roadracer and have been on the podium many times...and I havn't found any instability in my FZ 07. You sure you didn't demo a FZ 09 by mistake?

• 2 weeks later...
Greenhound386

You "demo'd one" ???  So you're trying to tell us that you flogged that FZ 07 for all it was worth and dragged the footpegs in all the corners and you're certain that the FZ 07 needs a steering damper based on your demo ride? Please explain the instability you found on your demo ride. I'm an ex roadracer and have been on the podium many times...and I havn't found any instability in my FZ 07. You sure you didn't demo a FZ 09 by mistake?

I am a current roadracer and have seen more than a few podiums myself. You must not be riding your FZ hard enough if it is such a stretch of your imagination that a steering stabilizer might be useful on this bike. Mine will see the race track, and it will be raced.

The front is most twitchy on quick side to side transitions with the forks unloading as you stand the bike up. Considering the front cannot be adjusted on the stock forks, your options for recourse are limited. The slightest input on the bars under acceleration will elicit some feedback and oscillation; a steering stabilizer will help with that. Do I NEED one for the street? Absolutely not. Would it be HELPFUL? Absolutely.

I am assuming you raced WERA considering your location? What classes and when?

And no, I don't work for GPR. That's such an interesting conclusion to be drawn simply because I advocated the use of a steering stabilizer and am from San Diego. Too funny.

2011 ZX-6R
2015 FZ-07

Greenhound386

Here's a peek at what some of the guys running the Twins class out west are drumming up. Spoiler alert: it will have a steering stabilizer.

10357601_10152299388528651_6778901676762359441_n.jpg

2011 ZX-6R
2015 FZ-07

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
Here's a peek at what some of the guys running the Twins class out west are drumming up. Spoiler alert: it will have a steering stabilizer. 

That thing looks really sweet!  Do you think they'd have to change the whole front end or just riser and bar set up to achieve that position?

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Greenhound386

^^^^ I have some ideas on what modifications are required, but I'll let olderthandirt field this question. He's an ex-roadracer and can say definitively what the FZ-07 does or does not need :)  He rode it like a 'GP Roadrace' (his words), and he couldn't find the limits of this impeccable motorcycle.

mericc: Do you work for GPR? Kind of weird that you are in San Diego and so is GPR Stabilizers. I mean, that's a weird coincidence. You'd think they would try to source a bike from out of state for their R&D. Can you get me your employee discount?

2011 ZX-6R
2015 FZ-07

Greenhound386

I hope GPR doesn't fire me when (if) they find out I am running a linear-style Ohlins damper.

Be5Fjns.jpg
JZtVYIZ.jpg

Be5FjnsJZtVYIZ

2011 ZX-6R
2015 FZ-07

^^^^ I have some ideas on what modifications are required, but I'll let olderthandirt field this question. He's an ex-roadracer and can say definitively what the FZ-07 does or does not need :)  He rode it like a 'GP Roadrace' (his words), and he couldn't find the limits of this impeccable motorcycle. 
mericc: Do you work for GPR? Kind of weird that you are in San Diego and so is GPR Stabilizers. I mean, that's a weird coincidence. You'd think they would try to source a bike from out of state for their R&D. Can you get me your employee discount?

No I don't work for GPR, I work at a hospital, I can hook you up with an xray though haha, either way having a stabilizer or not is up to the person I guess, I don't have race experience Like some of you guys and I respect your opinions on it but I'm only doing this cause it's a free part for me for lending them my bike

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

Oh so far from the conversations I had with GPR, yamaha is actually waiting for them also on the stabilizer since they also did the fz09

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

Guest unknown

Most racing leagues like WERA and CCS require the bike to have a steering stabilizer. It won't pass tech without one. 

Greenhound386

No I don't work for GPR, I work at a hospital, I can hook you up with an xray though haha, either way having a stabilizer or not is up to the person I guess, I don't have race experience Like some of you guys and I respect your opinions on it but I'm only doing this cause it's a free part for me for lending them my bike
Haha! I work for one of the more well known, prevalent shipping carriers. I can help you ship your GPR stabilizer somewhere, but I can't help you get one! 
I think it’s great that you’re getting one for free. Despite what others may believe, I think the stock bike will benefit from a stabilizer even on the street. In fact, I plan on spending my own money to purchase one when available. Shocking, eh?

Interesting that some of the users touting the FZ-07's innate and superior stability have already done a $1,000+ overhaul to their suspension. That's necessary for street riding, but a steering stabilizer is blasphemous!? Hysterical.

2011 ZX-6R
2015 FZ-07

Archived