The MT-07 Forum

UPS guy dropped off some goodies today:)

qjohnson

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest montana07

Awesome! Are you doing the install yourself? We demand a picture walkthrough!

I'm thinking about going with the carbon Akrapovic

olderthandirt
Don't do it....use the Akra Titanium and get the same good results that all of us got.  

Congress is the only whore house in the United States that loses money.

Guest montana07
Don't do it....use the Akra Titanium and get the same good results that all of us got.

If Akrapovic develops for the FZ-07 like they did for the FZ-09, the carbon will be lighter and provide more hp and torque.

Yes I'll be installing it myself and I'll take plenty of pictures for you guys don't worry. The carbon one is nice but for only 200 more the Ti one was the winner for me. I know 200 is a lot but considering how much you're about to spend its only a little bit more for a better fitting and better looking product. Unless you prefer the carbon can type more then I say go for it. Does anyone have torque specs on hand for the manifold bolts?

please let us know how the install went!!!! i really want to order it, im one click away but i want to make sure no cel code pops up!!! lol

is that thing your holding the CAT?

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

olderthandirt
Nice !!! Same as mine. Remove the 02 sensor first from your stock pipe and let it hang down. No need to trace the sensor wire and disconnect at the plug. Remove stock pipe. Then screw the fittings and the sensor to your new collector. Then bolt the headers LOOSELY to the motor. Then slide the CAT into the muffler. Then slide the collector onto the header and then the muffler onto the collector, and keep everything lined up so the rear two mount bolt holes line up.  Might have to use a rubber mallet to make everything fit...but make sure it's lined up first with the two rear mount holes. Install the two rear mount bolts LOOSELY. Then tighten down the 4 header nuts...and then tighten the two rear mount bolts. You're done...start it up.  

olderthandirt
If Akrapovic develops for the FZ-07 like they did for the FZ-09, the carbon will be lighter and provide more hp and torque.
There's no proof of that. That's the problem. If we could see dyno results with the carbon then I'd say it wouldn't matter...but so far YAMAHA only says to use the Titanium...and Akra only claims the Titanium doesn't need a re map. Just trying to save you some aggravation.  

@olderthandirt thanks for the tips! As soon as I get a chance to install it I'll be posting all the pictures here. You guys think I should wait till after break in? Of just throw it on?

olderthandirt

I put mine on at 300 miles. Bike ran perfect.

Yeah I may wait and put some miles on her first. How were the power gains? Noticeable? 

Guest montana07
There's no proof of that. That's the problem. If we could see dyno results with the carbon then I'd say it wouldn't matter...but so far YAMAHA only says to use the Titanium...and Akra only claims the Titanium doesn't need a re map. Just trying to save you some aggravation.
Yamaha suggests the Ti because it is street legal and designed to work with the stock fueling. Not sure how the carbon will work without a ecu flash or fuel controller, but I have a EJK fuel controller from Dobeck Performance installed, and they'll be mapping it on their dyno.

As for not being able to prove the performance gains, why would Akrapovic claim higher performance increases on their less expensive system if it weren't true? I'd think they would direct people to their more expensive option.

olderthandirt

Montana...don't know. But wouldn't the cheaper version be not as good as the expensive one? Do you expect the cheap version to equal the performance of the Titanium? Far as I know DOBECK is mapping for the Titanium ...not the cheaper one.

olderthandirt
Yeah I may wait and put some miles on her first. How were the power gains? Noticeable? 
You'll lose a little torque under 4k...but gain it back at 7k. It's definitely a little faster with the Akra. I'd say about 3hp. You will feel the difference...and with an EJK controller...I'd guess it would be better.   

Curious as well... how about posting some vids so we know how good it sounds.... Cheers!!!

2015 Yamaha FZ-07
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Honda Grom

I am willing to believe the claim that the carbon one will have more power and will be lighter. But of course you're going to need a fuel controller. From the pictures I've seen it looks like without a baffle it is a straight through can as the Ti one is sort of like a chamber muffler. That's the only reason I believe it will produce more power. As for the being lighter argument part, it's a lot smaller and made of carbon fiber. Of course it's gone be lighter lol. I still prefer the Ti style system. I'm riding a street bike not a track bike so a pound or 2 of weight and a few hp isn't really all that important to me. The bike has enough balls as is for the daily ride so I'd rather have something that is not only street legal, but also looks better, and has proven power gains without a fuel controller. Just my 2 cents

Curious as well... how about posting some vids so we know how good it sounds.... Cheers!!!
I'll definitely get some videos for you guys as well. Hopefully my go pro with a mic attached can get some good audio quality. That pretty much all I have to film with lol. 

Guest montana07
I am willing to believe the claim that the carbon one will have more power and will be lighter. But of course you're going to need a fuel controller. From the pictures I've seen it looks like without a baffle it is a straight through can as the Ti one is sort of like a chamber muffler. That's the only reason I believe it will produce more power. As for the being lighter argument part, it's a lot smaller and made of carbon fiber. Of course it's gone be lighter lol. I still prefer the Ti style system. I'm riding a street bike not a track bike so a pound or 2 of weight and a few hp isn't really all that important to me. The bike has enough balls as is for the daily ride so I'd rather have something that is not only street legal, but also looks better, and has proven power gains without a fuel controller. Just my 2 cents
Sorry man, didn't mean to hijack your thread, just explaining to OTD why I'm thinking carbon.  You're going to be psyched with the Ti, it looks and sounds great.  For me, I like the look of both systems, so improved performance of the carbon makes sense.  I'm also hoping the single larger opening in the baffle on the carbon will provide a little more volume.  From what I've heard the Ti without the db killer is too loud for me, but I wouldn't mind something a little bit louder than Ti with baffle installed. 

please let us know how the install went!!!! i really want to order it, im one click away but i want to make sure no cel code pops up!!! lol 
is that thing your holding the CAT?
Yes that's the cat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Premium Member

Hey fellas,

Looking at the Akra stuff for the FZ-09, it seems the Carbon is lighter and makes more power and torque than the Titanium version, and it's cheaper. The pics they have of the Carbon version for the FZ-07 seem to mimic the FZ-09, with the big loop in the exhaust just ahead of the can. Maybe the carbon one will have the same better results? It may.

Curious to know what the carbon would do against the Ti version without cat/DB Killer, both tuned  of course.  Results may be closer in that case.

Having said that, I STILL bought the Titanium version. Why? I think it just looks better. That's my personal preference. I like the look, and the sound. The extra power is just a side effect for me. I'll be using it without the DB Killer or cat, and with a DNA filter and Stage 2 airbox cover. Just waiting for something else to fall into place before everything falls into place. Hope to have it done by the end of next week. My fueling solution does ignition timing as well, and I'm using 91 octane at the manufacturer's request. I hope to have something in place soon. I'll keep you posted when I have more info :)

- Paulie

Hey paulie you mind sharing where you got the air filter and box cover from? Also what fueling solution are you using?

Archived