The MT-07 Forum

Things Nobody Tells You When You Decide to Ride a Motorcycle

motomeek

• Premium Member

I realized it might take too long to quote everyone...

@duenan - The runny nose happens to me when it's very cold. You should've seen what happened when I was sick... not sexy.

@mrpuss - I can attest to it. Riding with the wife is one of the awesomest things ever. So get her on it!

@sorkyah - It helped me to maintain my weight, but now that I've gained a bit, it's definite motivation to lose it.... I need to fit in the gear I've already bought!

@fzob1 - I tend to be the one known in the office as the "Oh the one that rides the motorcycle". I usually am the only one in the office that rides... and if someone does, that's all they want to talk about.

@so1102 - One of the reasons why I still own a car. There are just some instances carrying all that to go to the grocery store is just a bit much...

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That women that act attracted to you get snooty when you tell them you don't take pillions.
That women that ride motorcycles will appear 4 times more attractive than non riders.
That motorcycling has nothing to do with sex...despite the Honda ads...( unless you drive a Harley).
That if a woman that rides a motorcycle talks to you, she wants to talk about MOTORCYCLES not something else.
That having your knee puck scrape on the ground will be a life changing experience.
That good tyres are close to air in importance.

That all car drivers are NOT out to get you , they are just completely oblivious to the world around them because they are wearing armour. Treat accordingly.

That the motorcycles you come to love will not be the ones you think they will be ( like women I guess). The ones that take a heap of effort, require you to work with them, not the most beautiful, nor the fastest nor the most powerful are the ones that will end up meaning the most.
The MT is one of those. So many faults...so much fun.
My favourite road bike ever is a CB250RS. A 22HP of raw unadulterated gutlessness Honda single road bike with mediocre brakes, no weight and insanely good handling. My favourite race bike was a 85cc 28HP cr85 motored MotoGP Honda 125 framed 70kg thing. Expect the unexpected with motorcycle love.

That Japanese motorcycles are not built by engineers who really know what they are doing. They are built by Stylists ( especially Yamaha, 30% of a model's budget is styling), accountants and marketers that will make sure there is somewhere to go with improving the model so you will by the next one. Quality and longevity is NOT a consideration.
That the  parts of the motorcycle manufacturing  industry that really does care about what they do is the tyre manufacturers, brake pad manufacturers and the aftermarket suspension sector.

So endeth the lesson...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

How about a guarantee that if you DO see road kill ahead, and ride (not on it) by it, you will be met with tons more insects almost equaling what you get on the rest of the ride.

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

• Premium Member
...how much crap I would need to carry around when off the bike.
Quite! Somehow I forgot this one. Its definitely a process. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

You become an expert weather-forecaster, become experts at choosing gear for the trip, you become an expert backpacker, you treat your bike as one the most important objects in your life, motorcycles are excellent therapist and if your not riding bike you pretend everything is a motorcycle

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

That rain drops do hurt. 

...And that hail (and sleet) can cause serious hurt. We get a fair amount in the mountains, just pull over and wait it out. :-/

• Global Moderator

living near farm fields will cause you to question your existence and how many damned bees fhey can fit on a half mile stretch of.road

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Your hair will never look that good after a ride. That I'd be looking at hair styles asking myself, "Is this moto-friendly? Will I look decent enough once I get to my destination?"

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Good MPG or not and sure its cheaper to fill up but no one told me how often I have to fill up the tank on a motorcycle. By the way, if you've never owned one, you surely won't like how often you'll be filling up an inline 4 liter bike.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member

How much extra I should be prepared to spend on gear and accessories. (well over 60% of the cost of the bike itself so far)

No one told me,"Those things are addicting". I've been hooked on motorcycles for 45 years and just don't see kicking the habit any time soon.

anotherphase

Hitting a bug doing 20+ without a jacket hurts, 100+ without a jacket is uncomfortable.

How obsessed you will be to ride.

• Global Moderator
Nobody told me that i would be wearing a leather jacket in 115 degree weather...lol
That depends on your biking crowd too though...

Harley riders tend to think a leather vest is the epitome of protective gear
Along with a cigarette, sunglasses, and an irony helmet... you're fully geared

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 5 weeks later...

That you would notice smells more then ever road kill, smokers, and out of tune cars. People who litter suck, was already known but just reinforced. Sneezing in a full face helmet will always give you an ewww feeling. You will notice drivers doing everything but driving even more.

• Premium Member

That your crotch'll region can go numb just like your foot, leg, or arm can. (On a long ride) It's a little scary...

Guest ChicagoAJ
That your crotch'll region can go numb just like your foot, leg, or arm can. (On a long ride) It's a little scary...
I've heard about this but have never personally had it happen and I've had 10+ hour days. Guess I'm lucky, or not riding long enough. 

• Premium Member
That a 10 minute round trip will usually take 45 minutes or longer.
Yes sir, my 20 minute Homedepot run turned into 4 hours. :) 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Archived