The MT-07 Forum

2 month follow-up report: NEXX XR2 Carbon Zero helmet

avanti

• Premium Member

So, I've had the NEXX I reported on earlier for a couple months and have more riding experience with it, hence, this follow-up.

First, and for me foremost, the incredible lightweight never grows old!  I can genuinely tell the difference after a ride of any length.  This alone maintains the worth of the price of admission, from my standpoint.

Now, beyond that what I've found is that either the thing has gotten easier to take off or my ears have adequately "cauliflowered" to the repeated abuse... which do you think?  Next, the left side is noisier than the right and my very limited experimentation trying to determine why hasn't produced reliable results to date.  However, this is not a problem for me because I ride with ear-plugs.  That said, with my preferred plugs the padding at the left ear tends to touch the tip of that plug and causes some additional plug-generated noise.  This side difference may or may not be related to the overall noise differential.  I suppose I can modify the end of the ear-plug and take care of this noise--I just haven't done so.  Hence, you can judge how big an issue it is with me... not.

Ventilation is pretty good. It's been over a hundred degrees here and I don't mind it in the NEXX (but, in full honesty I don't mind the heat anyway).  I have also found with ear-plugs, anyway, I can leave the shield slightly "cracked" and it adds nicely to the venting without undue addition of noise, at least not at the speeds I normally ride--under 70 through the twisty North Looosiana woods.  However, one best not completely "latch" the shield if intending to open it later on-the-fly.  It fits waaaaaay too tightly, imho.  Anyway, wimpy me, I cannot open it with one hand while riding.

One thing I was initially concerned about I've learned how to obviate is the issue of the "buckle" being positioned right under my chin instead of off to the side a bit.  If I make sure the generous padding under the strap from both sides is placed properly centered on the strap and buckle it becomes a non-issue.

One final thing.  NEXX helmets have a rather odd-ball method of attaching the liner pieces into place... sorta slotted tabs that slip over knobs.  This is quick and easy for removal and insertion, but I see that the back end of one side-piece is not staying in place as it should and pushing the thing back, positioned correctly, on to the retainer peg is not doing so... i.e., retaining it fully.  As it stands, this isn't an issue just not as one would expect with a $600 helmet.  I'll monitor it and if it gets worse fashion a fix for it.  As for now, it is simply an eye-sore when off and inspecting the guts.

As for the helmet in movement airflow, I have no complaints.  It doesn't seem to be any more or less susceptible to buffeting and such than any other helmets I've used.  It works fine in any position I use on the fz.  But, then, I'm not too sensitive to such and, again, any such effect would be lessened by the much lighter weight allowing the neck to compensate with much less ado.

I guess that's it.  I cannot imagine anything else coming up to relate here--I hope I never have a crash report, for example--but, if anything occurs I'll add it on.

• Premium Member

One thing I've come to take for granted with this helmet, hence, I forgot to comment on is the LARGE vision-port... great peripheral vision and no hassles putting on sunglasses. No, a helmet this light weight is NOT going to have a built-in, retractable sun-shade!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Regarding the recalcitrant inner piece that would not stay in place I mentioned above... well, I removed the center piece so that I could actually see how the other was supposed to be attached and did so correctly--I wasn't getting it hooked back in completely because I couldn't see well enough how it was supposed to fit--duh. Fixed the issue and the attendant (as it turns out) noise in that area. I'm, again, a happy camper!

Archived