The MT-07 Forum

Moisture in headlight after wash.

shogun88

Just finished washing the bike and noticed some fog and moisture in the headlight. I did just a couple days ago install my cyclops led light and kept the rubber boot Intact. Never noticed moisture before. Any ideas??

bigdaddybane

I hate to say it but you need to open that thing and dry it up as soon as possible.

Guest Ralph

Check the seal again a reasonable ride will allow the heat from the bulb to dry out
the light unit do not under any circumstances touch the reflector with anything.

I hate to say it but you need to open that thing and dry it up as soon as possible.

Any idea why it happened. I'm not able to get to the bike until tomorrow, am i screwed?? Lol

My instructions said something about making a hole in the underside of the housing to avoid heat build up inside the housing. After talking to someone at Cyclops I decided to just leave the boot off instead to allow maximum air flow inside because it's a waterproof bulb anyway. Any moisture that may get inside is soon cleared up because of the air flow. I'm not saying this is the proper thing to do, just what I did and no problems with it for the last 16 months. 

Beemer

like I said in another post about pressure washers - be careful where you point the water.

I agree with Ralph - take a ride, the heat from the bulb will dry it out.

Moisture inside the reflector will eventually damage the silver ( or whatever it's made from) coating on the reflector, so you need to either seal it or, if it's only happening after washing, stop spraying water there from behind

like I said in another post about pressure washers - be careful where you point the water.  

Moisture inside the reflector will eventually damage the silver ( or whatever it's made from) coating on the reflector, so you need to either seal it or, if it's only happening after washing, stop spraying water there from behind

I think I did go a little buck wild this time with the washer. I think I was just having too much fun washing the bike. Seriously. I guess I'll have to wait for a rainy day to really find out if this will be a problem.

Over the decades I've had bikes that have gotten water into gauges, headlights and you name it - even thru stitched seams in seats that would allow enough water into the foam that the seat would freeze rock hard solid in the winter - giving new meaning to the phrase "hard tail".

The front of the headlight assembly seems pretty tight so it's likely getting in from the back. Riding in the rain might not at all be a problem. If that's the case, just turn your nozzle down to a very fine mist (mist, not spray) when rinsing stuff off.

A little silicone spray on rubber seals for the plugs might help repel some water entry.

Took the headlight housing off and cleaned the inside. I went for a 4 hour ride earlier in the day and came home to notice all the moisture still in the housing. I think ill have to let it dry out over night and maybe even shoot it with a blow dryer.

Guest Ralph

A 4 hour ride and it's still fogged? is the light working?
seems a bit strange they usually clear quit quick with the heat
from the bulb. Be careful with the heat gun the lense is plastic.

Not looked at this thing, but isn't there just one large hole in the back for the H4 bulb/bracket and another small hole for the park light at the bottom? Does the front lens come off the back housing?

I pressure washed mine one time but not ever again. It's too harsh on certain things and it peeled off one of my good stickers. Besides, certain things need to be hand washed anyway to get thoroughly cleaned so I bought myself a nice nozzle and sponge and give bikie the bath of angels. My bike loves me for it.

Beemer

I pressure washed mine one time but not ever again. It's too harsh on certain things and it peeled off one of my good stickers. Besides, certain things need to be hand washed anyway to get thoroughly cleaned so I bought myself a nice nozzle and sponge and give bikie the bath of angels. My bike loves me for it.

I use a pressure washer but only on the rinse setting so it's pretty gentle. At least I thought.

Archived