The MT-07 Forum

first oil change help..

3nickles

I am approaching the first oil change service at 600 miles. I do all my own maintenance on the vehicles I own and intend to do the same with my FZ.

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum but I couldn't find another oil change thread.

So I'd like to switch to synthetic was wondering what oil viscosity/brand is recommended?

I have a jug of 15w-50 Mobil 1 leftover from when I owned a Yamaha V-Star Custom 650. Will that work in our FZ's?

There have been a number of tests done on synthetic oils and the results always seem to be different so it's hard to say which oil is best. According to this Amsoil is the best. Here is a chart you can look at so you can decide from that yourself if you want to. I went with Motul 4T 7100 10W40 (full syn.) myself since Yamaha had it on their showroom floor for $30 a gal. It works good in my bike so far, no complaints. 

http://www.chrisautoservice.info/best-synthetic-motorcycle-oil-reviews.html  <<< *(Independent Amsoil dealer)

Beemer

• Premium Member

15W-50 will work fine. Maybe better in the summer.

Whatever brand you use, use. Just change the oil and filter on time. It will have a bigger impact than brand. I personally go with Mobil 1 when given a choice.

tmp_28519_0900c15280049f4e1030439165.gif

Everything went braap.

booboobusfz07

Key thing is that it's rated for a wet clutch. Wrong oil and the clutch will slip really bad. Potentially ruining it.
JASO-MA is the rating you wanna see on the bottle.
Friction modifiers are great for cars. Terrible for a wet clutch.
Try for a sportbike specific clutch safe oil. Oil weight depends on temp ranges. There's a guide in the manual.

Mobil 1 4t 10/40w is what I use and it's great.

Just changed mine last week. I went with Metric 10-40 from Amsoil. I have put 200 miles on it since the oil change and it seems to run smoother and shift smoother. I have always used Amsoil in my bikes, 4 wheelers, boats, jet-skis.

I used Mobil Racing 4T because that was readily in stock in my area. Takes 3 quarts to fill up, manual say just under 3 but I used them all and had no overflow, still scratching my head on that one.

Guest Ralph
I used Mobil Racing 4T because that was readily in stock in my area. Takes 3 quarts to fill up, manual say just under 3 but I used them all and had no overflow, still scratching my head on that one.
Take it by that you mean the level came to the right place on the sight glass with the bike vertical?

• Premium Member

Any quality synthetic MOTORCYCLE oil (for correct additives) will not do you wrong. Just use the correct weight. Someone will swear by any brand... doesn't matter.

Take it by that you mean the level came to the right place on the sight glass with the bike vertical?
Yup, when I initially did it with the amount in the manual it was still a bit under the fill mark on the glass, but just managed to reach when I poured the rest of the oil, maybe Mobil shortchanged me some oil.

chickenchickendinner

my local motorcycle store ran out of yamalube 5w40 so I decided to get a gallon of yamalube non synthetic 20w50...has anyone had experience with this type of oil?

chickenchickendinner
I just changed mine with royal purple max cycle 20w-50. The gear box feels great.
I just purchased a gallon of yamalube 20w-50, im about to do my 2nd oil change at 3k miles...hope my gear box likes it. :fingercross: 

my local motorcycle store ran out of yamalube 5w40 so I decided to get a gallon of yamalube non synthetic 20w50...has anyone had experience with this type of oil?
I haven't but according to the chart that hobbs put up, if your outside temperature isn't consistently getting over about 105 degrees that may be too thick an oil to be using. Can't say that it 'would' hurt anything but I don't believe it would be recommended.

Beemer

bmwpowere36m3

That's pretty thick stuff... depending on climate. I'd rather see 10W-30, 10W-40, 15W-40, 15W-50. Last oil change I did a mix of Mobil 1 5W-40 and 15W-50. 15W-50 is pushing it and non-synthetic oils generally have worse cold-flow capability (most wear does occur on start up).

chickenchickendinner
I haven't but according to the chart that hobbs put up, if your outside temperature isn't consistently getting over about 105 degrees that may be too thick an oil to be using. Can't say that it 'would' hurt anything but I don't believe it would be recommended.
It's been averaging mid 80s to 90s. I'm contemplating of returning it and getting 15W-50. 

• Premium Member

I don't think I'd use 20W-50 unless I lived in Saudi Arabia.

That is one thick oil weight.

Inbetwen 10W-40 and 15W-50, that covers the entire temp range for most regular vehicles not operated in extreme climates.

Everything went braap.

Really, 10W40 is fine. Just change the oil at specified intervals. It's not R.S.

Beemer

My Mobil 1 15W-50 container says " API SM,SL/CF" I don't see JASO anywhere on the label.

Is it still safe to use?

mdifabrizio
I just changed mine with royal purple max cycle 20w-50. The gear box feels great.
I just purchased a gallon of yamalube 20w-50, im about to do my 2nd oil change at 3k miles...hope my gear box likes it. :fingercross:

It's night and day.

Once the throttle is cracked on, it is rolled on evenly, smoothly, and consistently throughout the remainder of the turn.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1738084489772201/

• Global Moderator
My Mobil 1 15W-50 container says " API SM,SL/CF" I don't see JASO anywhere on the label. 
Is it still safe to use?

The Mobil 1 4T 10W40 is JASO rated. That is what I have been using.

• Premium Member

Motorcycle oils are required to avoid issues with our wet-clutches. Nothing more in most instances.

bmwpowere36m3
Is it still safe to use?
15W-50 has no EC modifiers, so its fine… just no JASO rating.  I used it in my dirt bike and a 50/50 mix (w/ Mobil 1 5W-40 T&S) in my FZ.

Archived