The MT-07 Forum

Thoughts on Avanced Rider Course

pineappleunderthesea

pineappleunderthesea

For those looking in rider courses:  I recently took the PA Advanced Rider Course (ARC), which is a step up from the Basic Rider Course they offer (in PA there's the BRC which is taken on their motorcycles and gets you your license; then you have BRC2 which is the same but done on your own motorcycle.  The ARC is one step above that, and you also use your own motorcycle).  

So the ARC is a relatively new course, and reinforces how to better ride your bike via cornering techniques (lean your body, faster speeds), decreasing radius curves, hard stops at higher speeds, swerving while cornering, and a few others.

If you've only taken a basic rider course, this more advanced course is a nice addition since it does a good job of building more confidence in taking curves  faster and better via better body positioning, especially in decreasing radius turns, and getting feedback from instructors (rolling off the throttle while turning was the [HASH]1 issue most riders had...)  There's enough meat in the course for you to practice when riding and to further explore the limits of your bike.  But it's definitely not a track course, it's a street course.

So if your state offers such a course, not a bad way to spend a day.  And in PA, it's free! (if you're a resident, otherwise $100)

Guest 2wheeler

I have a buddy who use to be a instructor for Total Control. He swears by that as a great intermediate/advanced training course.

pineappleunderthesea
I have a buddy who use to be a instructor for Total Control. He swears by that as a great intermediate/advanced training course.
Total Control would probably be one step more advanced than the ARC course, from what I've seen on their website. That one also looks like a next logical step for street riding once you've been riding for a little while. 

Archived