The MT-07 Forum

My First Track day

wesleyc6

NNC_6494.jpgHi guys/gals, I took my FZ 07 out to VIR today.  I have only been riding again a few months, so I figured I would be pretty awful.  I lined up and rode with the newbies inside the novice group and I enjoyed getting up to speed with a very little pressure.  My buddy riding with me is intermediate class somewhere else but this was his first time with PRE, so it worked out great for me so he could give me feedback.  I would come into turn one in 5th and shift straight to 3rd and that is where it stayed the entire time until I hit the straightaway and then it would get up to 5th again and about 115 before I have to brake again. It was nice not feeling like I had to shift.  By the end of the day, my rev limiter was hitting on the kink on the far side in 3rd, but it was just in time to throw it into the last turn.  I had so much fun and the control riders were mind boggling.  There was a FZ-09  there also but if he rode it, it was only one lap.  So by the last session my buddy told me I was running a 1:33 on my own lines. I was pleased with that because I am not a good rider.  On the very last lap the CR lead me through a crowd in a curve (which we weren't allowed to do on our own) and off we went and we came into number one hot and I decided to ride his line even though it seemed too hard and.....................chirp............skid............bike leading we went across the track and into the grass.  Bent a handle bar and scratched it a little on the tank.  One of the CR's asked me what I was riding and said it was doing great.  Geez everyone passed me on the straight aways, but going through the curves I was constantly over braking with them and then we would clear a little and leave them and then in the straight away they would come screaming by me and we had to do it again. lol  So for other beginners, you can ride this little bike to death in 3rd gear and have a blast.  I rode everything stock except a fender eliminator, blinker, and took feeler pegs off. 

For anyone on the fence about doing a track day, go have a blast. If you could afford track type tires you would probably like it, but I did get mine to melt down well on the right side. 

Thanks for reading a newbie's experience!
Wes

Thanks for posting, really gives insight. My buddy does track almost once a month on his r1, he's always trying to get me to go.
Thanks again

Thanks for posting, really gives insight. My buddy does track almost once a month on his r1, he's always trying to get me to go. Thanks again
I think you would probably have a lot of fun.  The guys were super nice and encouraging at PRE.  My bud brought his new R1 too and his R6. He tried to get me to do a few laps on them too (I have ridden the R1 once and his R6 a few times), but I didn't want to get off of the 07. :) 

• Premium Member

Awesome, thanks for sharing.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Great write up! I love hearing about peoples first track experience. After my first day at the track I just can't get enough!

:)

- Paulie

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another pic with my bud right behind me.  He is a much better rider than me (you can tell I stink from my pics), but was following and watching me some to give me some tips.

NNC_6388.jpg

Here are a couple of pics of how the Pilot 3 held up. I bought this tire the week before I went to the track because I got a nail in my first one.

thumb_IMG_6899_1024.jpg 

thumb_IMG_6898_1024.jpg

Great write up! I love hearing about peoples first track experience. After my first day at the track I just can't get enough! 
:)

- Paulie
Thanks Paulie.  I am itching to get back on the track!!!  I put some rear spools on, a windscreen, Renthals, oxford bar ends and should have new clutch/brake levers and rear set in soon.  OH and some new mirrors because I dropped one of mine in the garage (doh!). 

aaronjbush12

Looks like good times! What were your thoughts on the Pilot3's?

Looks like good times! What were your thoughts on the Pilot3's?
Man, I am definitely not qualified to make any kind of judgments on bike equipment.  That was my first day on a track and I have only been riding again for a few months and never before did I try to "improve my skills" when I was younger.  So with that caveat, I will say the ONLY time I felt those tires break loose was down shifting into second (my poor technique) and when I wrecked.  I have thought a lot about my low-side and what I think was that I entered the turn too early and tried to follow the CR's line and I was leaned WAY over because of that.  I will tell you what the CR told me after the Track Day was over.  He said, "man I didn't know you could lean that kind of bike over as far as you were leaning it over" .  So I think that means the tires are probably pretty good. The failure was "rider error".  I hope that helps. Like I said, I have no idea what I am doing, other than having fun on it :) 
Thanks,
Wes

• Global Moderator
Here are a couple of pics of how the Pilot 3 held up. I bought this tire the week before I went to the track because I got a nail in my first one. 
thumb_IMG_6899_1024.jpg 

thumb_IMG_6898_1024.jpg

Those are the pilot road3 correct? Not the powers

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Those are Pilot Road 3's, yes.  Not sure what a "powers" is?

• Global Moderator
Pilot power 3
Its a heavy step up in grip over the pilot road series.... they're meant for higher power/lean angle bikes

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Pilot power 3 Its a heavy step up in grip over the pilot road series.... they're meant for higher power/lean angle bikes

Ah, thanks for explaining.  I don't see Power anywhere on my tire, so they must just be regular ol' Pilot Road 3's. 

Archived