The MT-07 Forum

my amateur suspension conclusions

ratlab

• Premium Member

having a few different bikes with a mix of cartridge,emulator,rsu,usd forks here are my thoughts:
R3-completely stock,except preload adjusters and feels great even at my 170 lbs.i don't know how they did it with those components,but it's good.
gsxr 1000- ohlins triple adjust shock,ohlins cartridge-set up by dave moss-unrideable on the street(stiff) but won't touch settings or geometry cause worked hard with moss for a couple of days getting it to work with a 200 rear tire.dunlop gpa made in the uk=traction control.
triumph thruxton-gazi rears and racetech springs and emulators,bike came with preload adjusters-thinking of doing thruxton cup,but bike was terrifying on the track and pretty bad on the street also.frame is a noodle.swingarm is cheese.
ninja 250-ohlins triple adjust and racetech springs and emulators,preload adjusters-fantastic on street and track.firm,but pliant.frame is a noodle also.all balls steering bearings helped a lot.
ktm rc 390-ohlins triple and andreani carts-best handling bike i have ever had-not dialed in yet-i will try to square away at buttonwillow monday.while breaking it in on some really crappy mt roads suspension felt meh.tried a lot of different settings.ninja felt better at bump compliance-different tires,frame not as stiff?kind of disappointing.
fz07-ohlins rebound only and traxxion damper rod kit-damper,emulator,and springs,preload adjusters-really,i was disappointed with this setup at first-took a lot fiddling to get front and rear balanced.but,after not riding it much after getting the ktm,did a 300 mile day in the sierras and was pleasantly surprised.really feels good and close to the ninja in bump compliance.i was going to go jri triple and some kind of cartridge,but now i'm pretty sure i won't.it's my streetbike and it feels safe and comfy so why bother and so:
this is my conclusion-MHO-my set up for the fz07 cost me 900 bucks and i did the install myself.if your bike is street only,maybe thinking of a trackday someday,triple clickers and carts aren't really necessary,pattonme excluded.i don't see that big of a difference for the cost on the street.adjustability for track would be a different story,and really i would have no problem taking my fz to the track with my set up.needs rear ride height,but that's another story.i have about 10,000 miles on buttonwillow and thunderhill racetracks in cali working as a trackday coach for 3 different clubs.i did 45 days at buttonwillow one year,but now i just go for fun occasionally-my setups(hydraulics and sag) are biased towards the firm side as i'm not comfortable if i don't feel what the tires are doing so that may skew my conclusions a little.

thomascrown

What weight oil for the fz07 setup, and also, how many turns on the "adjustment nut" of the racetech emulator?

Thanks for this post. I am prepping my fz for track duty to bring with my ninja 300. I am between a jri street fighter shock $800, the Nitron base model with rebound only or Ohlins base with rebound only. I have a triple clicker on my 300 and it rides soo great so I am kind of wary to go rebound only. Think I will be ok with the fz and the base Ohlins?

• Premium Member

if you do just a few trackdays on the FZ and use it primarily as a streebike i think you would be ok with the base ohlins-if i had to do over again i would go jri streetfighter-heard nothing but good stuff about their shocks.

if you do just a few trackdays on the FZ and use it primarily as a streebike i think you would be ok with the base ohlins-if i had to do over again i would go jri streetfighter-heard nothing but good stuff about their shocks.
I rarely ride on the streets anymore. Thanks for the honest opinion. I definitely think the Ohlins would be fine since I am not racing but man... the JRI is very tempting.

ktm rc 390-ohlins triple and andreani carts-best handling bike i have ever had 

try a thinner oil in the Andreani C leg. 

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

thomascrown

I just installed the traxxion damper rod kit w 15w oil. Feels phenomenal. I likely have the highest mileage fz07, so you might be interested in how the bushings looked at 30k miles. Not too bad?? 1dcd9470a5c68f31a2f0f393b9073099.jpg

• Premium Member
I just installed the traxxion damper rod kit w 15w oil. Feels phenomenal. I likely have the highest mileage fz07, so you might be interested in how the bushings looked at 30k miles. Not too bad?? 1dcd9470a5c68f31a2f0f393b9073099.jpgyeah- it's amazing how good that kit is.

• 2 weeks later...

that's pretty heavily worn. A proper-sized bushing doesn't scrape all of the teflon off... Even at 30k.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived