The MT-07 Forum

Hordpower air box review

markstertt

[div]Yesterday I took a quick ride after having my 2015 FZ-07 off the road for a month while doing some mods, the last of which was adding JD Hord's air box/filter conversion. I saved the air box until the last hoping JD would come up with an ecu flash for my configuration, stock engine with Yosh R77 ex. with db killer installed...the same set up as Hord's when he mapped his PCV for his prototype air box before his engine mods.
I finally gave up on the ecu flash when JD offered to set me up with a PCV with his initial map and his current per gear map added. The PCV install was straight forward plug and play except for splicing into the signal wire from the speed sensor, necessary for the per gear mapping which will also be nice for the future addition of the DJ quick shifter to be able to configure per gear kill times. Down loading the PCV software and configuring the PCV from my laptop was easy with really little to do since JD had installed his maps already ( and note that I'm computer challenged so had to call Hord a couple times).

Just FYI, at the same time I added the air box I had installed Iridium spark plugs and modified my throttle tube with a 41.4mm drum made from a slice off a pvc coupling and bonded to the stock throttle.

Ok, so on initial start up I was amazed at how responsive the engine was to throttle blipping and more surprised at the BARK from the exhaust, not what I was used to at all, I mean if you blip the throttle it BARKS back, can't explain it in other words so on to the ride. Maybe I'm not hearing as well as I used to but I didn't really notice any difference on the intake noise side of things, maybe just me. Slow speed around town seemed normal, same good low end torque and roll on power was immediate, cruising was smooth and at 65 mph was indicating about 57 mpg (I think) and also that I was about out of gas...eek! Darn, well I had to get home anyway so I hit the closest freeway on ramp to test acceleration and 'oh man!' does this thing pull hard and long now, it doesn't run out of breath on top (at least not at the rpms I was willing to push) and had me laughing and thinking what the heck? How does a 689cc twin pull so hard? Hords dyno graphs only tell half the story, on a stock engine with exhaust system (and his PCV maps) the extra power and torque through the power band is fantastic and undeniable. I only weigh 150# so power to wt. ratio is already good but I can only imagine what another 10 hp would feel like, however, now I'm not sure I need it, I just have to go ride this thing some more...Hord is a good guy to deal with, a true enthusiast, if you're interested give  him a call, I don't think you'll be disappointed...Mark
[/div]

• 2 months later...
rpsuperdooper

JD is badass. He supports us well on the Hawk parts as well, regardless of how long the bike has been out of production. He definitely is a champion amongst men!!! Also, FWIW, you can always use more power, you just have to learn when and where to use it, LOL...

:)

JD is badass. He supports us well on the Hawk parts as well, regardless of how long the bike has been out of production. He definitely is a champion amongst men!!! Also, FWIW, you can always use more power, you just have to learn when and where to use it, LOL... 
:)
Yes and he's always made himself available to answer my questions. On the power front, well lets just say I'm waiting to see what the word on the big bore kit is...I mean if I'm going to pull the engine down for more compression then might as well go bigger at the same time, however, I still think the cam and head work would probably do it. 

• 9 months later...
ghengistron

Bump for a newbie question.
I threw on the Hord airbox, it sounds deadly and besides a pretty intense install (must remove plastic, tank,throttle bodies!) the airbox fits great. But it's putting waaay too much air into the mix now. I've got the PCV and an Akra Ti exhaust and the bike just falls on its face after the first few RPMS. I'm talking 4/5 gear wide open throttle and I'm putting around at 125 km/h.

I can only think it's two things, this airbox is too good and it's letting in massive amounts of air and the fuel maps are just not adding enough fuel, or I haven't installed the fuel map correctly. Just wondering if anyone else experienced this issue before I email Hord. I was thinking of cutting up the airbox to reinstall as a half windscreen wife tnhigher speeds there's just way too much air. The bike is running too hot and gutless and I'd like to get my hooligan machine back before I scoarch these pipes.

• Premium Member

+1 for markster's post. The filter and PC-V with JD's maps, it really sounds and more importantly feels like a brand new bike, silky smooth and barky, like the two Dobermans from "Magnum P.I." :D No flash necessary here.

I knew I'd never go back to OEM here so, I took the caveman route of airbox removal, a hacksaw, screwdriver and a Dremel; goodbye forever ugly airbox.

You're really doing yourself and your bike a disservice by not having these installed.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

markstertt
Bump for a newbie question. I threw on the Hord airbox, it sounds deadly and besides a pretty intense install (must remove plastic, tank,throttle bodies!) the airbox fits great. But it's putting waaay too much air into the mix now. I've got the PCV and an Akra Ti exhaust and the bike just falls on its face after the first few RPMS. I'm talking 4/5 gear wide open throttle and I'm putting around at 125 km/h.

I can only think it's two things, this airbox is too good and it's letting in massive amounts of air and the fuel maps are just not adding enough fuel, or I haven't installed the fuel map correctly. Just wondering if anyone else experienced this issue before I email Hord. I was thinking of cutting up the airbox to reinstall as a half windscreen wife tnhigher speeds there's just way too much air. The bike is r.lunning too hot and gutless and I'd like to get my hooligan machine back before I scoarch these pipes.
Are you using Hords maps in your PVC? IF not then, perhaps there's the solution, if you are, then maybe start over and reinstall. I bought my PVC from Hord with maps installed and it revs like a banshee but I am interested in his flash to also reduce engine braking a bit...maybe use the flash and remove PVC, don't know. 

I can only think it's two things, this airbox is too good and it's letting in massive amounts of air and the fuel maps are just not adding enough fuel, or I haven't installed the fuel map correctly.
Yep, sounds like the incorrect map. 
Should be an easy fix if you have Hord's PCV map.

Archived