The MT-07 Forum

Greetings! From Illinoiis.

fzyalater83

fzyalater83

Cheers to all, I just wanna say I've had my bike for just over two weeks now and I haven't stopped smiling yet!!!!!  WOW, i absolutely love this bike...sorry I have a 2016 FZ-07 in matte silver w the blue accents by the way.  So far all i have changed on the bike is the handlebars, I went with some gold Renthal street bend mid rise and I narrowed em up 5/8" on both sides and also went with their 50/50 diamond-waffle grips in gray/blue...could ya guess ive grown up riding dirt bikes, lol.  I know I'm gonna want to do an exhaust and ECU flash/ EJK/Commander just not really sure what to go with yet.  The Service Manager at the dealership I bought my bike from told me that if u flash the ECU it will void the warranty....not sure if he was blowin smoke up my *** or what but thats the direction I would like to go as long as it doesn't void the warranty, the same service manager told me the commander doesn't void the warranty and they could do it there for some rediculous amount that im not gonna pay when I can do it myself.  Then theres the EJK which is the cheapest route but are they as good as the ECU flash?  I would love to hear everyones opinion on what they have done to their bikes as far as exhaust and tune options u went with and the results afterwards and if you've had any negative effects down the road with anything.  Thnx for reading and look forward to hearing from you guys.

Welcome and congrats! The Service Manager at the dealership may as well have said if you flash the ECU he won't make any money off of you, ha! I went with an Akrapovic carbon pipe, K&N filter (un snorkled) and an Dobeck EJK. I'm 'happy enough' with mine, I noticed a small difference in power and a bigger difference in throttle smoothness. (very nice!) I used to get popping often between 1st and 2nd when up shifting but that's mainly due to a certain style of shifting which I've almost broken myself of. I don't wait as long to shift from 1st to 2nd now and the popping has almost completely stopped. I guess you could say the popping was my fault but either way, from what I've read and from testimony an ECU flash is probably the best thing because it can eliminate popping if you can't eliminate it and make adjustments to so many other things as well to squeeze out a little more performance and better behavior. Good luck!

Beemer

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

I still have the stock exhaust, but when I do get an aftermarket exhaust I will be doing the reflash of the ECU. Even members with a stock exhaust have done the reflash and noticed improvements. I believe all the members that have reflashed are very pleased with the reflash results, since it makes a great bike even better. Read the 2Wheel Dyno Works info in the vendors section of this forum to get info on the flash updates. Once your bike is flashed, you can always send it back to be flashed again if you change your exhaust or want to set it back to stock for warranty issues. You are only responsible for the shipping cost to have the ECU flashed again.
As far as warranty coverage goes for aftermarket upgrades, Yamaha needs to state specifically in the warranty how they handle aftermarket upgrades in the warranty. It is not up to the dealer, but how the warranty is written. If Yamaha does not forbid a specific type of aftermarket upgrade, than they need to prove that upgrade is the cause of the warranty issue to deny you coverage. Also, there is a Federal law called the Magnuson-Moss Act that protects consumers with warranty issues. Read this article about the law:www.sportrider.com/magnuson-moss-warranty-act   

fzyalater83
Welcome and congrats! The Service Manager at the dealership may as well have said if you flash the ECU he won't make any money off of you, ha! I went with an Akrapovic carbon pipe, K&N filter (un snorkled) and an Dobeck EJK. I'm 'happy enough' with mine, I noticed a small difference in power and a bigger difference in throttle smoothness. (very nice!) I used to get popping often between 1st and 2nd when up shifting but that's mainly due to a certain style of shifting which I've almost broken myself of. I don't wait as long to shift from 1st to 2nd now and the popping has almost completely stopped. I guess you could say the popping was my fault but either way, from what I've read and from testimony an ECU flash is probably the best thing because it can eliminate popping if you can't eliminate it and make adjustments to so many other things as well to squeeze out a little more performance and better behavior. Good luck!
"Awesome thanks for the info, greatly appreciated.  I'm sure u guys will be hearing bout what i end up doing in the future and getting my full review about parts that i use"

fzyalater83
I still have the stock exhaust, but when I do get an aftermarket exhaust I will be doing the reflash of the ECU. Even members with a stock exhaust have done the reflash and noticed improvements. I believe all the members that have reflashed are very pleased with the reflash results, since it makes a great bike even better. Read the 2Wheel Dyno Works info in the vendors section of this forum to get info on the flash updates. Once your bike is flashed, you can always send it back to be flashed again if you change your exhaust or want to set it back to stock for warranty issues. You are only responsible for the shipping cost to have the ECU flashed again. As far as warranty coverage goes for aftermarket upgrades, Yamaha needs to state specifically in the warranty how they handle aftermarket upgrades in the warranty. It is not up to the dealer, but how the warranty is written. If Yamaha does not forbid a specific type of aftermarket upgrade, than they need to prove that upgrade is the cause of the warranty issue to deny you coverage. Also, there is a Federal law called the Magnuson-Moss Act that protects consumers with warranty issues. Read this article about the law:www.sportrider.com/magnuson-moss-warranty-act   
Thnx for the info, i will probably go with the ECU flash as well and as far as the exhaust i don't wanna go with something extremely loud, i just wanna be able to hear it while riding as with stock i can't hear a thing.  I'm sure i will posting as soon as i get stuff swapped out and have reviews.

Archived