The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 died and wont run

aheadau

Hello everyone. I bought a fz07 today, and my dad was riding it home for me. Maybe 1/2 a mile down the road, it died, and would not start. When it finally started, it would run for a few seconds, and then die again. I know it has some kind of aftermarket autoclutch, but dont think this w ok uld cause this effect. Any ideas on what could cause this kind of problem? I did get my money back for the bike, but was just wondering what could cause this issue. Thanks for any help.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Some members had their new bikes delivered to them with the clutch switch not connected. They experienced stalling and difficulty restarting the bike. Once the clutch switch was plugged in the bike was fine. Maybe they disconnected the clutch switch for the aftermarket auto clutch. The clutch switch is on the clutch side of the handlebars and takes a few seconds to plug it back in place. The clutch switch does communicate with the bike's ECU, so it should be connected.

• Premium Member
I know it has some kind of aftermarket autoclutch.
So it's a used bike? How many miles?  Sounds like some kind of fuel delivery problem if it starts, then dies (and you didn't do anything else). If it dies when you let the clutch out then @easternkayaker is right.  My switch was disconnected from the factory.

Why can't left turners see us?

It was sitting at a repo lot near where I work. It had 64 miles on it, and had dropped to $4400, which was too good of a deal to pass up. I noticed something was zip tied on the clutch handle, but couldn't tell much about why it was there. I also think it is a fuel delivery problem. It ran just fine the day I looked at it, but according to my dad as soon as he shifted to third gear on my the home, it immediately died, so I'm not sure if it was something that happened then, or if it was already out, and it just didn't appear when it was running. When I first looked at it, it ran fine with the clutch released and in first gear, which led me to believe some type of auto clutch was indtalled

• Global Moderator
It was sitting at a repo lot near where I work. It had 64 miles on it, and had dropped to $4400, which was too good of a deal to pass up. I noticed something was zip tied on the clutch handle, but couldn't tell much about why it was there. I also think it is a fuel delivery problem. It ran just fine the day I looked at it, but according to my dad as soon as he shifted to third gear on my the home, it immediately died, so I'm not sure if it was something that happened then, or if it was already out, and it just didn't appear when it was running. When I first looked at it, it ran fine with the clutch released and in first gear, which led me to believe some type of auto clutch was indtalled
Can we get some pictures?
ive yet to hear of anyone using an auto-clutch on this bike.. but who knows

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator

There's also the possibility of the kickstand switch
Ive had issues with that opening and cutting power to the fuel pump

"I did get my money back for the bike..."

Do you still own it?  I would think it would be worth the money to take it to a shop to be diagnosed.  Hell, the thing is virtually new from what you've said.

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

"I did get my money back for the bike..." 
Do you still own it?  I would think it would be worth the money to take it to a shop to be diagnosed.  Hell, the thing is virtually new from what you've said.

I do not, the repo lot gave me my money back, and took the bike to a shop to have it diagnosed.

That sucks! Sorry about your luck. Do you intend on buying it again if they fix it or do you have to know what the problem is just so it won't knaw at you for years to come? You did give it back, right?

Beemer

That sucks! Sorry about your luck. Do you intend on buying it again if they fix it or do you have to know what the problem is just so it won't knaw at you for years to come? You did give it back, right?

I doubt that i will rebuy it, im thinking about a newer sfv650 or something like that instead. I did give it back, and i was just wondering if anyone had ever heard of this problem, or had encountered it before, and if so, what the fix was.

• Global Moderator
I doubt that i will rebuy it, im thinking about a newer sfv650 or something like that instead. I did give it back, and i was just wondering if anyone had ever heard of this problem, or had encountered it before, and if so, what the fix was.
have had issues with the kickstand bumping down and opening the switch... but other than that, no engine stop issues that i didnt cause myself.  why not the new sv650?  or better yet import the tracer 700

have had issues with the kickstand bumping down and opening the switch... but other than that, no engine stop issues that i didnt cause myself.  why not the new sv650?  or better yet import the tracer 700

I have about 5k to spend, so a new sv is a little out of my price range. There are a few 2008-2012s around me going for 4-5k, so not too bad a price increase for me

• Global Moderator

hmm... hows about an r3? probably be under 4200 OTD for one of those

wtf is this auto clutch thing ?
http://bikesbuiltbetter.com/products/efm_auto_clutch.php 
essentially a centrifugal clutch system... 
I get that but I still wonder if he meant a "Quick Shifter" that doesn't use a clutch to shift (autoclutch)??? Maybe? I would personally check back on that bike and if they fix it and have it priced the same. I would go for that long before an SV650. Give the FZ a 2nd chance.

Beemer

Someone modded a brand new bike like that and then it was pretty much immediately repo-ed ? I'm thinking it's something simple.
The 2016 sv650 might just give the FZ a run for it's money, btw

• Premium Member
Someone modded a brand new bike like that and then it was pretty much immediately repo-ed ? I'm thinking it's something simple. The 2016 sv650 might just give the FZ a run for it's money, btw
I don't know how much tweaking they've done to the 650 V twin over the past 10 years, but I owned a 2006 V-Strom 650, and it was a sweet bike and nice motor. That said, it didn't come close to matching the character of the FZ-07 mill.  It had adequate torque, and revved very nice with peak power up high.  It was also VERY smooth.  Probably smoother than the FZ-07. 

Why can't left turners see us?

Someone modded a brand new bike like that and then it was pretty much immediately repo-ed ? I'm thinking it's something simple. The 2016 sv650 might just give the FZ a run for it's money, btw
aheadau said he couldn't buy a new bike but since you threw it out there anyway I had to see some reviews about the bike.  
According to Top Speed and Cycle World Mag. it has a few more ponies than the FZ @ 75 h.p. and even though it's dropped a few pounds from the previous version it's still lugging some extra fat around. Right at 37 lbs. (ABS version, non ABS is at 40 lbs. more) more than an FZ-07. I'm not so sure the 4 extra ponies (4 more than it's previous version) and a drop of 18 lbs. are going to make it an FZ07 killer, I have my doubts. I'm guessing they will be very close, though. Whether or not it's faster, it is a good looking bike and I would bet money that seat is more comfy than ours is. Still wondering about that price tag with ABS. Suzuki's tend to be a little pricey to begin with.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/suzuki/2017-suzuki-sv650-abs-ar171173.html

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/11/27/2017-suzuki-sv650-naked-entry-level-motorcycle-review-first-look-photos-eicma-2015

Beemer

The seat height is only 30" - guess how they did that - no foam! 2 piston calipers in front to save money. Like the looks, call me a dinosaur (been called "T-Rix a few times"), I like round headlights. i'm thinking the FZ is still the better overall bike.

Archived