The MT-07 Forum

My R6 throttle tube theory

michaelcly

• Premium Member

I did the mod with the r6 tube and it fixed the "twitchy" feeling I got with the stock tube. I now have more control.

I did noticed a difference I haven't seen mentioned: It takes a little more effort to twist the throttle. My theory for why this happens is that the larger diameter cams make it geared tall at the grip, so to speak. On the other end it's the opposite...the cable that returns the the tube to closed position is now attached to a larger diameter cam allowing for a stronger pull. Sort of like a chain pulling on a larger rear sprocket. That IMO contributes to no slack.

I like the mod—I don't notice the shorter twist stroke but like the zero play. Great $10.00 mod. 

2015 FZ07; Yoshimura Exhaust; Yoshimura Fender Eliminator; Shorty levers; Bazzaz EFC, frame sliders, LED signals, Yamaha Comfy Seat, Madstad Windshield.

thomascrown

This is typical of any type of mechanical leverage (hydraulics, pulleys, etc). You decrease effort but increase travel, or decrease travel but increase effort.

I wanted to do the R6 throttle tube at some point but now I suspect it may be a problem for a person with arthritic hands, namely me. Just the thought of having to grip tighter to be able to twist the throttle sounds painful. Anyone out there with arthritis in the hands that use an R6 throttle tube that can attest to it's affect on them, if any? Thanks!

Beemer

I wanted to do the R6 throttle tube at some point but now I suspect it may be a problem for a person with arthritic hands, namely me. Just the thought of having to grip tighter to be able to twist the throttle sounds painful. Anyone out there with arthritis in the hands that use an R6 throttle tube that can attest to it's affect on them, if any? Thanks!
If your hands already hurt, don't do it. Ever since I did mine, my hand hurts more when I ride. Especially when it's cold, from old broken bone injuries. But then again, I'm riding 100 miles a day. Not sure what your ride days look like. But from the sound of it, it will take away from your pleasurable ride experience.

WHILE ON THIS TOPIC. What kind of grease are people using for the throttle tube/throttle cable contact area?

• Global Moderator
WHILE ON THIS TOPIC. What kind of grease are people using for the throttle tube/throttle cable contact area?

white lithium/lithium-soap grease

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

If your hands already hurt, don't do it. Ever since I did mine, my hand hurts more when I ride. Especially when it's cold, from old broken bone injuries. But then again, I'm riding 100 miles a day. Not sure what your ride days look like. But from the sound of it, it will take away from your pleasurable ride experience.
Some days are better than others. I can usually do a few hours without too much pain & stiffness. I had to call off what would've been a nice road trip to the Smokies awhile back after I went to Key West (in the car) because my hands were aching so much. I was going to camp at this place for a couple days. Looks like a nice campground for bikers. 
http://twowheelsofsuches.com/#_=_

Beemer

white lithium/lithium-soap grease

Thanks man.

Some days are better than others. I can usually do a few hours without too much pain & stiffness. I had to call off what would've been a nice road trip to the Smokies awhile back after I went to Key West (in the car) because my hands were aching so much. I was going to camp at this place for a couple days. Looks like a nice campground for bikers. 
That place looks nice man.

That place looks nice man.
Yes it does, my first thoughts exactly when I saw it and in case you didn't read about it there's a little bar-b-que joint right next to the place but it's only open on weekends they say. So if someone were wanting to go for a couple days the weekend would be the tastiest time to go.  :P

Beemer

Archived