Sign in to follow this  
i28

Sticky rear brake light switch

i28
Adjusted the rear brake light switch and now it's a little sticky.
At first I checked that it wasn't too tight but and loosened it a bit but it was still getting stuck and would take the brake light a few seconds to turn off.
Is this something I need to replace or can I use dry lube without causing any damage? [span]    [/span]

rick
Dry lube
  • Like 1

i28
muchas gracias!
  • Like 1

sorkyah
muchas gracias!

Use the LUUUUUBEEE dude

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

i28
Just wasn't sure if there was anything electrical that dry lube could potentially damage.
Tried it and it seems to have helped a good amount hasn't fully resolved the issue. I'll put some more in there later and see what happens.

Beemer
Maybe in it's original setting with some lube it will act right. Have you tried that?

Beemer

rick
The seal on that switch must really be snug to buck that return spring. Considering its location and proximity to spooge, probably a good thing in the long run. I gave mine a spritz of contact cleaner that also has a lubricant in it. Got it at radio shack.

so1102
Dry lube
two words that shouldn't go together
  • Like 1

rick
certainly a more pleasant word combo than "dry heave"!
  • Like 2

i28
Just wasn't sure if there was anything electrical that dry lube could potentially damage. Tried it and it seems to have helped a good amount hasn't fully resolved the issue. I'll put some more in there later and see what happens.

In the original setting, the sensitivity want even close to where it needs to be to activate the light. It just needs some more lube and to break in, it seems.

Thanks for the help gents as I am mechanically challenged (rofl) (but learning quickly).
  • Like 1

dony
Mine was sticking when the bike was new. I lubed it and it has been fine for a year.
  • Like 2

CapnKirk

Just noticed my rear is sticking on during my pre-ride inspection.. I'll remove, clean, lube, and adjust!

-Kirk

Skibum4106

I adjusted my brake pedal travel the way I wanted it and  then the light would not even come on from the rear brake .. It's a mechanical switch not a pressure switch ..

After I adjusted it .. It was not pulling on the lever that pulls the  light switch on .. There are two springs I lost all spring tension with my adjustment ..   You can turn the threaded rod and you can move a nut at the bottom inside a clevis ..

I think on my next attempt I can  get the pedal adjusted where I want it and still have the switch activating .. looks like the plastic switch it'self is also threaded..