Sign in to follow this  
azfz07

Exhaust gasket question (time is of the essence)

azfz07
Hello everyone, I'm currently changing my exhaust and I see the gasket has one flat and one beveled side. I just want to make sure I'm installing them right. Is it the beveled side or the flat side that faces the motor? Thanks for the help!!

thepre
I'm just taking a guess but if there is a weld on one side and not the other I would put the bevel towards the weld. Again just a guess/suggestion haven't done this yet but that's what I would do, good luck!!!

duenan
I don't think it really matters, the thing gets smashed when the header is torqued down. That said I believe I just placed flat side towards the engine for more "adhesion" when greased.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

bmwpowere36m3
New gasket or reusing? On a new gasket both sides are the same... thin copper face with a mesh core. As long as it isn't crushed too much or deformed it should be alright. I put new ones in when I replaced my exhaust at 3k miles. Picked on eBay for $10-15 shipped.

azfz07
They were the same ones, my bike only has 400ish miles so I reused them. Thanks for the help!