The MT-07 Forum

Are your stock handle bars as low as mine?

michaelcly

• Premium Member

When I turn the bars left to lock, the wire harness from the switches just touches the tank cover. At the narrowest gap other than the wires, I can fit the tip of my little finger, but not the knuckle. When looking from the side view, the angle of the bars compared to the fork angle is about 30 degrees swept back.

I want to raise my handle bars to relieve some fatigue in the upper back and wrists. I think the previous owner may have rotated them down. Are yours like that too? I'm not near a Yamaha shop and I can't really tell from pictures. My sleeve length is only 30.5 inches, so a little shorter than average. If I could raise them up a couple inches, I think it would help.

2015 FZ07; Yoshimura Exhaust; Yoshimura Fender Eliminator; Shorty levers; Bazzaz EFC, frame sliders, LED signals, Yamaha Comfy Seat, Madstad Windshield.

• Global Moderator
When I turn the bars left to lock, the wire harness from the switches just touches the tank cover. At the narrowest gap other than the wires, I can fit the tip of my little finger, but not the knuckle. When looking from the side view, the angle of the bars compared to the fork angle is about 30 degrees swept back. 
I want to raise my handle bars to relieve some fatigue in the upper back and wrists. I think the previous owner may have rotated them down. Are yours like that too? I'm not near a Yamaha shop and I can't really tell from pictures. My sleeve length is only 30.5 inches, so a little shorter than average. If I could raise them up a couple inches, I think it would help.
Yep, just remember to adjust throttle and clutch vcables accordingly

There are several how-to guides scattered around the forum

Good luck and have fun

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
post up some pics. easier to tell that way
[div] [/div]

2015 FZ07; Yoshimura Exhaust; Yoshimura Fender Eliminator; Shorty levers; Bazzaz EFC, frame sliders, LED signals, Yamaha Comfy Seat, Madstad Windshield.

post up some pics. easier to tell that way
[div] [/div]
looks pretty much stock. but like said above you can change em. just make sure you adjust everything.

• Premium Member

Thank you for the tip. I'm going to give it a try.

• Premium Member

Raised them up. Only need to adjust mirrors. I could see the bolts had been wrenched on before so I'm pretty sure they were lower than original. Perfect for me now. Much more comfy.

Good! I was just going to say I took a look at my stock bars and they weren't as low as the ones in the pictures and that you should raise them about 10 -15 degrees. World of difference, huh?!

Beemer

• Premium Member

There is no shortage of stories (some here) of them being installed/adjusted too low and even scraping the tank. So, adjust to suit!

bmwpowere36m3

Look normal to me… it's a part the dealer needs to install prior to delivery. There is a stamped dot, IIRC, on the handlebar that lines up with the gap at the clamp (rear facing rider). Either way, adjust to suite your liking.

• Global Moderator
Look normal to me… it's a part the dealer needs to install prior to delivery. There is a stamped dot, IIRC, on the handlebar that lines up with the gap at the clamp (rear facing rider). Either way, adjust to suite your liking.
The dealer doesnt install it... just rotates it forward towards the tank...

The come practically upside down with the cables disconnected

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

After fiddling around, I ended up about 15 degrees up. Turns out the clutch lever bar clamp had to raised a bit which allowed me to also move it outboard about 3/16"... I really like it that way. I also removed some of the free-play from the rear brake. I stiffened the shock adjuster from softest to the 4th level which seems good to me. I'm feeling really comfy on this bike. I do wish the horn button was about 1/4" to the left and that the gauges were in a place where I didn't have to glance down.

Archived