The MT-07 Forum

Akrapovic Carbon Question

Guest ChicagoAJ

Guest ChicagoAJ

I've decided I'm going to pull the trigger on this system (along side a 2WDW flash) soon-ish but I have a question to anyone who already owns this system.

Does it come with new header gaskets? Also, is there anything extra I should pick up for the install?

No new header gaskets. But, I reused the old ones. They were perfectly fine.

As for anything else - check to see if the O2 (or Lambda) sensor will fit in the hole. You *might* need an adapter, but I'm not sure. Mine fitted OK.

Cheers, enjoy the sound! It will be beastly, I assure you as I have the same system :)

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Titanium exhaust came with adaptor plug. Does not come with gaskets. I would get them from dealer. Not very expensive for the insurance it's better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I've decided I'm going to pull the trigger on this system (along side a 2WDW flash) soon-ish but I have a question to anyone who already owns this system. 

Does it come with new header gaskets? Also, is there anything extra I should pick up for the install?

They dont come with the gaskets. They cost $7.99 each at a yamaha dealer. They are basically like a crush washer so one time use only. That being said, my dealer only had 1 and i didnt want to wait so i used the existing ones with no problems. 

Did you buy it yet? I got mine with free shipping from http://www.biohazardcycles.com/akrapovic-s-y7r2-afc-racing-carbon-full-exhaust-system-fz-07-mt-07-15-16/ i ordered thursday, it shipped friday and i received monday. 
It really sounds wayyyy better than any video you see.

bmwpowere36m3

Exhaust flange/header gaskets don't come with the exhaust. I bought new ones for $10-15... though the old ones (3k miles on bike) appeared fine and weren't really crushed. Their comprised of two thin copper faces with a metal-mesh core. The Akra Carbon should come with an adapter fitting to thread into the header bung for the O2 sensor.

Just need some tools... OTTOMH 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 22 sockets/wrenches, extension and swivel, 6&8mm allens, pliers/hook to pull springs.

Guest ChicagoAJ

Didn't buy yet - but will probably pull the trigger soon. @motofunfz - when I saw that link you posted around here before, that's what made me want to get it! That's a pretty decent deal but I'm hoping for closer to 600.

@bmwpowere36m3 - according to their videos it does, and I've noticed that in every picture of the system I've seen. I've got the tools covered, I was a diesel mechanic for 8 years, lol. 

bmwpowere36m3

I don't know about $600, I got it for $670 from MC Superstore and thought that was good.

Does NOT come with header gaskets. All the joints on the pipe itself are slip and held via springs.

I don't know about $600, I got it for $670 from MC Superstore and thought that was good. 
Does NOT come with header gaskets. All the joints on the pipe itself are slip and held via springs.
Damn $600 is probably dreaming but good luck! I was thrilled to find it for $685.16. Good luck! 

Guest ChicagoAJ
I meant the bung for 02 sensor, not gaskets. Should have clarified.  
And this system is all over eBay for just a hair over 700 with free shipping, just waiting for that one deal that's too good to pass up. 

I meant the bung for 02 sensor, not gaskets. Should have clarified.  
And this system is all over eBay for just a hair over 700 with free shipping, just waiting for that one deal that's too good to pass up. 
Yes it comes with the O2 adapter, the spacer ring and some copper anti seize.

Guest ChicagoAJ

Decided to order this as soon as Revzilla notifies me if they'll price match BioHazard or not, hoping they will for the $30 back they offer. After I install it and ride around a bit I'll be sending my ECU out to 2WDW for a tune.

Can't wait to get everything done.

Decided to order this as soon as Revzilla notifies me if they'll price match BioHazard or not, hoping they will for the $30 back they offer. After I install it and ride around a bit I'll be sending my ECU out to 2WDW for a tune.  
let me know how it goes. I originally wanted to get it on Revzilla but after seeing the link posted above I was gonna go with the cheaper price (unless Revzilla can match the price)

bmwpowere36m3

If you have an account on Motorcycle Superstore, they send out a 10% off coupon on your b-day every year. Worked on my Akra order, $670 shipped + points.

Guest ChicagoAJ
If you have an account on Motorcycle Superstore, they send out a 10% off coupon on your b-day every year. Worked on my Akra order, $670 shipped + points.
So what you're saying is tell them my birthday is in the very near future... I do use Revzilla a lot, I've never used Motorcycle Superstore and the difference is only 15 bucks, but I'd get more rewards from Revzilla, but MS would still be $5 cheaper. 

Guest ChicagoAJ
let me know how it goes. I originally wanted to get it on Revzilla but after seeing the link posted above I was gonna go with the cheaper price (unless Revzilla can match the price)
I'll definitely report back. I sent the price match email maybe an hour after they closed so I hope by the time I get up in the morning I'll have an answer. 

bmwpowere36m3
So what you're saying is tell them my birthday is in the very near future... I do use Revzilla a lot, I've never used Motorcycle Superstore and the difference is only 15 bucks, but I'd get more rewards from Revzilla, but MS would still be $5 cheaper. 
I don't think it works like that… when you create an account, part of it is your birthday.  I use Revzilla a lot as well, but even with points it was cheaper with MC Superstore and I used the points to buy some additional stuff I needed.

Guest ChicagoAJ

I made an MS account. Never asked for my birthday and I couldn't find a setting page anywhere that had anything to do with my account other than orders. I found a few places on eBay (including BioHazard Cycles) with a best offer option. So I'm going through those for the next few days to try to get someone down to around $625. Otherwise I'll get purchasing through Revzilla.

@bino - Revzilla did match the price with free shipping.

EDIT: I also have my eye on the Yoshimura system... It makes about 1hp more and it's about 70 less... Decisions, decisions. 

EDIT 2: Ordered the Akra system on Revzilla for 685.xx. Can't wait. ECU will be out to 2WDW as soon as I get the exhaust installed and make sure there are no issues with it. 

Guest ChicagoAJ

Anyone know the torque for the header/exhaust manifold bolts? I checked the Torque Spec thread in the Tech Tips section and I couldn't find anything relating to the exhaust manifold or header....

@bino - just fyi. If you get the exhaust price matched through Revzilla you won't be eligible for any cash back on their site since they're price matching. I just sent an email about it because I never got it, luckily the women I spoke to was nice enough to give me $15 because I didn't know.

f2ufja.jpg 

Thank you for all the info ChicagoAJ.

I'll most likely go with Revzilla as well as long as they are willing to match the price like they did with you. It'll be in a few months so hopefully they'll still do it.

I also plan to get my ECU flashed with 2WDW. By the way, I've got a question about ECU flashing (hopefully someone can help).

I won't be using my motorcycle for the next 3 weeks as I will be out of town. It would be convenient for me if I can send my ECU to be flashed now since I'm not riding the bike. If I get the ECU flash now for the aftermarket exhaust, can I still ride with the stock exhaust for 2-3 months or will it affect the performance of the bike negatively?

• Global Moderator

Thank you for all the info ChicagoAJ. 
I'll most likely go with Revzilla as well as long as they are willing to match the price like they did with you. It'll be in a few months so hopefully they'll still do it.

I also plan to get my ECU flashed with 2WDW. By the way, I've got a question about ECU flashing (hopefully someone can help).

I won't be using my motorcycle for the next 3 weeks as I will be out of town. It would be convenient for me if I can send my ECU to be flashed now since I'm not riding the bike. If I get the ECU flash now for the aftermarket exhaust, can I still ride with the stock exhaust for 2-3 months or will it affect the performance of the bike negatively?

Performance wil be degraded... but luckily 2WDW has a tune available for.the stock.exhaust
and a reflash will cost you only the postage to ship your ecu back to them

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

bmwpowere36m3
Anyone know the torque for the header/exhaust manifold bolts? I checked the Torque Spec thread in the Tech Tips section and I couldn't find anything relating to the exhaust manifold or header.... 

@bino - just fyi. If you get the exhaust price matched through Revzilla you won't be eligible for any cash back on their site since they're price matching. I just sent an email about it because I never got it, luckily the women I spoke to was nice enough to give me $15 because I didn't know.

f2ufja.jpg 
Forgot to mention the price matching, no points earned... however Revzilla, in my experience, is excellent. Header nuts are 14 ft-lbs.  Once install is done, I like to start the bike up, let it warm up and check for any obvious leaks.  Shut it down and let it fully cool off.  I'll re-check the torque and once again ~500 miles later.

Archived