The MT-07 Forum

Speed in different gears

hawkize

• Premium Member

I searched the forum but couldn't really find anything. What speed range are you riding in for each gear. Looking at the service manual the shift points look a little quick. Only have about 100 miles on the bike and I'm sure I'll figure it out with more practice, but you guys are always a lot of help. Shifting into 6th at 37 mph seems excessive. Apologize for the rambling.

Thanks

dentalprodigy

This is gonna be really subjective but personally here's my breakdown;
1st gear = 0-10
2nd gear = 10-25
3rd gear = 25-38
4th gear = 40-50
5th gear = 50-65
6th gear = 65+

Pretty much the rule of 10's. Having said that I don't follow this to a tee. I routinely put the bike in 6th gear when I'm cruising at 40 mph. I find it to have enough torque to do that. If it's around 35mph, I might put it in 5th gear. Hard to explain but you'll know if 6th gear is too high; the motor lugs a little and has too vibration. It's clearly upsetting and you can definitely tell you need to downshift into 5th or something.

If it's a spirited ride, then ill wind out 1st gear up to 25 mph, 2nd up to 40 and so on. This bike has soo much torque that even if you short shift to higher gears, the motor is not upset.

The beauty with a torquey parallel twin is you can ride with a huge range of speed per gear. Ride whatever feels good (engine feel-wise) on each gear. That's what I do. I barely even look at the instrument gauge anymore. I even know loosely how fast I am going just by feel. I've passed many cops AND then look at my speedo to find I am at most going 3mph over the limit when I passed them.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

ducttapewd40

Generally the lowest gear where ECO still pops up on the cluster if I'm just cruising a constant speed.

• Premium Member
phicurious86

I do it by revs (which translates into exhaust noise) so that it eventually just becomes a "feel".

I think I was generally shifting between 3 and 4k rpm on the fz. Closer to 3k on the lower gears and closer to 4k in the higher gears. Shift in a particular range consistently, and eventually your brain will recognize the proper exhaust noise + engine vibration to shift at.

• Premium Member
panchobullet

Well, riding home just by my-self usually just about when ECO is on... Group rides with 07 & 09 pals as fast & safe as possible!  :P

- Pancho

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

Guest ChicagoAJ
I do it by revs (which translates into exhaust noise) so that it eventually just becomes a "feel".  
I think I was generally shifting between 3 and 4k rpm on the fz. Closer to 3k on the lower gears and closer to 4k in the higher gears. Shift in a particular range consistently, and eventually your brain will recognize the proper exhaust noise + engine vibration to shift at.

So you shift at like 8mph in first?! 

To answer OP's question: I usually start in 2nd because 1st and 2nd on this bike are basically the same. I've had 1st to redline at 51mph and 2nd was only like 61 or 62mph - almost identical gear ratios. In 1st I shift around 25-30mph, 2nd around 40mph, 3rd around 50-60mph. Then if I'm just cruising at those speeds I'll just skip 4th/5th and put it in 6th. I can't stand shifting every 10mph and I laughed out loud when I saw the shifting chart in the manual when I read through it. 

• Premium Member
phicurious86

To answer OP's question: I usually start in 2nd because 1st and 2nd on this bike are basically the same. I've had 1st to redline at 51mph and 2nd was only like 61 or 62mph - almost identical gear ratios. In 1st I shift around 25-30mph, 2nd around 40mph, 3rd around 50-60mph. Then if I'm just cruising at those speeds I'll just skip 4th/5th and put it in 6th. I can't stand shifting every 10mph and I laughed out loud when I saw the shifting chart in the manual when I read through it. 

Closer to 16mph if I recall, but it's been a while. For me around 4k seemed to be sweet spot for shifting for everyday riding, though I definitely remember shifting earlier in 1st. 1st gear seemed to be just for hooning.

• Premium Member

Thanks for the input.  I was getting tired of having to shift all the time in town, but it looks like I don't have to.  Owner's manual wants you in 6th gear at 37....ridiculous.  

• Premium Member

I do all my shifting above 6k...I try to shift at 8k when I'm really getting into the throttle...2nd gear starts from stip... Really don't use 3rd gear unless I'm turning a corner in a city...Use 4th gear from 25-60...5th is my 45-60 cruise gear and 6th gear is for highway speeds or long cruise above 60... In the city I use 3rd gear to take turns as 2nd gear is way more touchy then 3rd and this lil bike has plenty of oomph to pull a the front end up a tiny bit from 3rd gear coming around a corner in the city... The peak power is around 5.5k -7k rpms I noticed that's why I try to shift at 8k when I'm really on the throttle as the next shift will drop the rpms right back into the peak power spot...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
I do all my shifting above 6k...I try to shift at 8k when I'm really getting into the throttle...2nd gear starts from stip... Really don't use 3rd gear unless I'm turning a corner in a city...Use 4th gear from 25-60...5th is my 45-60 cruise gear and 6th gear is for highway speeds or long cruise above 60... In the city I use 3rd gear to take turns as 2nd gear is way more touchy then 3rd and this lil bike has plenty of oomph to pull a the front end up a tiny bit from 3rd gear coming around a corner in the city... The peak power is around 5.5k -7k rpms I noticed that's why I try to shift at 8k when I'm really on the throttle as the next shift will drop the rpms right back into the peak power spot...
Need to hurry up and get through my break in period.....

Guest ChicagoAJ
This is basically how I ride. Anything over 8-9k and the power drop off is just ridiculous - although I've heard the @2wheeldynoworks flash helps up there tremendously. The next time they have a discount for a holiday or whatever I'll be all over it.  
@hawkize - don't baby it too much in the break-in period. Doing some hard pulls definitely won't hurt anything, the only advice on break-ins I've ever followed has been to vary rpms. Motors are usually 99% broken in after the first 20 miles on them. 

• Premium Member
This is basically how I ride. Anything over 8-9k and the power drop off is just ridiculous - although I've heard the @2wheeldynoworks flash helps up there tremendously. The next time they have a discount for a holiday or whatever I'll be all over it.  
@hawkize - don't baby it too much in the break-in period. Doing some hard pulls definitely won't hurt anything, the only advice on break-ins I've ever followed has been to vary rpms. Motors are usually 99% broken in after the first 20 miles on them. 
ChicagoAJ - Thanks, I don't think I've had it above 6k yet so I'll start getting after a bit more.  It's been babied so far. 

Guest ChicagoAJ
ChicagoAJ - Thanks, I don't think I've had it above 6k yet so I'll start getting after a bit more.  It's been babied so far. 
The tech who took my bike out to make sure it was set up right definitely didn't care about break in, haha. He beat on it. 

AlbatrossCafe

Check your owner's manual. It gives recommended shift speeds. I found it hilarious. I can't remember them all but I do know that it recommended you shift to 6th gear at 36mph.

My shifting is all over the place, but I find if I am 38mph+ and on flat ground cruising I will be in 6th. Gives much better mileage.

Guest Ralph

They must think UK riders are more more trustworthy than you no mention in my manual about
actual shift speeds, the service intervals are different in some markets to, Suzuki do the
some but certain pages are marked for different countries only.

• 3 weeks later...

The manual gives shift points for a reason. They don't explain the reason why so my best guess is since they claim this bike can achieve 58 mpg they're just showing you how to shift (like they did) to get the same results. I don't think they really expect everyone to shift at those points, it's just a suggestion more or less.

I've tested 6th gear several times at a low, steady speed (35 mph.) and each time my computer said I was averaging 94.5 mpg riding like that. Just saying.

Beemer

bmwpowere36m3

6th gear under 40 MPH... holy shit, lug city! This isn't your 302 with overdrive doing 1500 RPM on the highway.

I'm between 3rd or 4th... I try to keep cruising RPM 4-5k. 6th is for 65+ MPH in my book.

AlbatrossCafe
6th gear under 40 MPH... holy shet, lug city! This isn't your 302 with overdrive doing 1500 RPM on the highway. 
I'm between 3rd or 4th... I try to keep cruising RPM 4-5k. 6th is for 65+ MPH in my book.
You can do it if you are on a flat surface and not accelerating - I do almost every day for max MPGs. But yeah, once you open the throttle up, the entire bike feels like it is gonna rattle apart 

• 1 month later...
This is gonna be really subjective but personally here's my breakdown; 1st gear = 0-10
2nd gear = 10-25
3rd gear = 25-38
4th gear = 40-50
5th gear = 50-65
6th gear = 65+

Pretty much the rule of 10's. Having said that I don't follow this to a tee. I routinely put the bike in 6th gear when I'm cruising at 40 mph. I find it to have enough torque to do that. If it's around 35mph, I might put it in 5th gear. Hard to explain but you'll know if 6th gear is too high; the motor lugs a little and has too vibration. It's clearly upsetting and you can definitely tell you need to downshift into 5th or something.

If it's a spirited ride, then ill wind out 1st gear up to 25 mph, 2nd up to 40 and so on. This bike has soo much torque that even if you short shift to higher gears, the motor is not upset.
Holy mother of short shifts Batman. First doesn't even red line until 45-50 and you pop it in 10 wowee. Here I was thinking I babied my bike with my around 30mph shifts to second unless I want that engine braking.

Archived