The MT-07 Forum

Your preferred tire changing setup!

ddog

A few friends of mine and I would like to invest in equipment for a tire changing set up. If you change your own tires, what tools do you believe are absolutely necessary, what are some nice extras, and what are your favorite brands of said items? I appreciate the feedback!

I don't know too much about brands, etc for motorcycle tire machines, but I did see one used for $100 recently on the Bay Area riders forum. My buddy and I was thinking about picking it up, but never went forward with purchasing.

canyoncarver31

I have been changing my tires with levers and lots of sweat. I don't recommend it though, a little difficult and possibly scratch your rim. All you need is tire irons, rim guards, valve stem removal tool, wheel balancer and a way to break the bead.

Another option is to use a Harbor Freight tire changer. With some modification, you can pair it with No Mar's de-mount tool and have something that works fairly well. Here's a link to some parts used for the HF tire changer http://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoweb.htm

Then there is the No Mar classic tire changer which I am looking to purchase. http://www.nomartirechanger.com/

• Global Moderator

Hunter makes the best tire machines on the market for automotive and motorcycle wheels

Their top of the line model

As far as at home changes... the no-mar 'classic' changer cant be beat... but it's a bit expensive at roughly $800 after adding a balancer and shipping costs

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Found a coats 220 used on Craigslist. Picking it up for $600. It should do nicely!

If you're anywhere close to NorCali or don't mind a drive, I saw the same one on the SF craigslist for $400. I just noticed it was the same one that you noted. If you want the link, I can send it to you.

• Premium Member

I've just been using tire irons/spoons, rim protector and bead breaker. Costs about $40 for the setup.

Or you can buy one of the above machines for a few more zeroes and save the effort.

Everything went braap.

ducttapewd40

I'd love to get the necessary equipment since I could change a tire quicker than I could even drive the wheel and a fresh tire to the nearest shop and back. I just can't justify spending that much for the occasional tire change though.

I'd love to get the necessary equipment since I could change a tire quicker than I could even drive the wheel and a fresh tire to the nearest shop and back. I just can't justify spending that much for the occasional tire change though.

Yeah the only reason I can justify it is because of the great deal on the machine and the fact that my friends are going in on it with me. After we each change out 4 tires we'll have paid for the machine entirely.

Archived