The MT-07 Forum

Front wheel / triple tree adjustment ?

mr2diefor

Hey guys,
So long story short, last August I dropped my bike going less than 5 mph (I looked right, looked left, looked right, started accelerating and a truck came out quickz on the left so I panic stopped sliding on some gravel/sand and dumped it; first month riding too :(
4k miles later I've accepted the fact my front end is "slightly" misaligned. The wheel is slightly off, and the headlight housing is misaligned. I inspected the front area and the forks are not bent and nothing is leaking thankfully. The handlebars "appear" to be fine, but I ordered new bars anyway. Thank God for frame sliders.
I've watched numerous videos on YouTube and searched here on loosening the front end area, sans the top fork clamp, and bouncing on it, with a smooth metal surface under the front tire, to straighten front out.
Do you guys think that's the best DIY fix? Idk with our specific bike what to loosen and what not to. Theoretically it should work but I'd like your honest opinion.
I do have an SW MOTECH centerstand installed if that helps.

THanks guys,
Jeff

• Global Moderator

Hey guys, Do you guys think that's the best DIY fix? Idk with our specific bike what to loosen and what not to. Theoretically it should work but I'd like your honest opinion.
I do have an SW MOTECH centerstand installed if that helps.

THanks guys,
Jeff

loosen the top tree bolts to less than finger tight... if you do loosen the lowers, remember to re-align your forks with the top tree

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

CHECK the chrome faceing on the forks all around just below the bottom triple clamp. You will need to slide them down a couple of cm to do this. If you see any cracking or crinkling your forks are bent to the state that straightening them without reheat treating them is not advised. In the case get new leg or legs. If you are in the US it is probably cheaper to buy new legs from a cheap parts place than straighten them.
Also remove the axle and check it for straightness. Axles are not dear.
Hopefully none of these and just a tension release will fix it.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived