The MT-07 Forum

Riding FZ-07 Home (400 Miles)

xhifer

Im at the airport right now. I'm going to fly 400 miles away from home to pick up a used FZ-07 sight unseen and then riding it back 400 miles non stop (Gas stops only).

I never rode a fz07 but I trust the positive reviews. I really wanted something light weight and inbetween a supermoto and sports bike.

It's not really a logical decision. The bike is a pretty good deal (5.4k with 600 miles) but not sure if it'll be worth the energy.

I'm doing it just to do it. Why not?

I'll report back on how it goes.

• Global Moderator

I am looking forward to your ride report. I hope it is not all freeway as that is a long ride on a naked bike at speed. Logic seldom is a large factor in motorcycle purchases. I cannot really logically justify my purchase, but after almost two years I have yet to regret buying it :)

It's a 15 with the mods I want. Not too bad considering I was very close to buying a brand new one for $8k OTD.

Guest Ralph

Beg borrow or steal a bit of padding for the nether regions other than that
and keeping yourself hydrated go for it no problems.

• Global Moderator

@xhifer, what mods? And please post some photos after you pick it up.

• Premium Member

That's really cool. Just take you time and enjoy the scenery!

Why can't left turners see us?

Damn, what is that a 6 hour ride? Ice your buns when your done.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Made it home safely.

Got to the airport around 11am and got through security surprisingly quick in 30 min. Thought this was a sign for a good day.

Waited for my flight to LA from SFO which was suppose to board at 1245pm. Well, no plane at 1245pm. 145pm now and still no plane. American Airlines wasn't able to get their plane out of the hanger or some BS. 2pm and finally a plane! After 30 minutes of loading and seating, I thought we were set to go... Nope. The mechanics misplaced some log book that the pilot must have before taking off. 30 minutes pass and they find the log book but now it's missing the most important page. 15 more minutes pass and they get it all together. Taxi through the runway. Another 15 minute delay with air traffic controller. Finally takes off and we land at around 420. Taxi to our gate and now the bridge thing that connects to the plane is stuck. 30 minutes pass and we finally get out.

Honestly could've driven to LA in that time.

Well this screwed everything up because I was suppose to land at 2pm, buy bike by 3pm and be home by 9pm.

Got to the guys house at 630pm and bought the bike. Took off at 7pm and took 101N all the way. 2 hours of sunlight and 4 hours riding in the dark and no scenery that I hoped for. Instead, I just prayed that there wasn't a road hazard in front of me.

Got home at around 1am and I'm not sore at all. Cold, but not sore. Roadcrafter is not the warmest suit.

Overall, I am very surprised at how well the FZ -07 handled at freeway speeds. 65-80 all the way and the wind wasn't bad at all. No vibration and decent amount of power for overtaking. Very comfortable bike. I currently ride a ST1300, so I know what comfort is when riding.

I stopped 3 times for gas and to stretch the butt. I took a few on ramps hard but the front end felt really light so I backed off. I'm gonna explore that some more in the twisties.

The getting there part sucked but going back home wasn't bad at all. Thought it would've been the opposite.

Was this all worth it? It was a fun experience and I now know I can easily do 800 miles a day with a naked bike because I can hop back on now and go back to LA, no problem.

This bike is the perfect commuter and fun bike for me. Light weight, feels like riding a supermoto, good mpg, reliable, and comfortable. All I need.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

That was some trip to get your FZ-07! Congratulations, glad it all worked out for you. 

• Premium Member
Made it home safely. 
Got to the airport around 11am and got through security surprisingly quick in 30 min. Thought this was a sign for a good day.

Waited for my flight to LA from SFO which was suppose to board at 1245pm. Well, no plane at 1245pm. 145pm now and still no plane. American Airlines wasn't able to get their plane out of the hanger or some BS. 2pm and finally a plane! After 30 minutes of loading and seating, I thought we were set to go... Nope. The mechanics misplaced some log book that the pilot must have before taking off. 30 minutes pass and they find the log book but now it's missing the most important page. 15 more minutes pass and they get it all together. Taxi through the runway. Another 15 minute delay with air traffic controller. Finally takes off and we land at around 420. Taxi to our gate and now the bridge thing that connects to the plane is stuck. 30 minutes pass and we finally get out.

Honestly could've driven to LA in that time.

Well this screwed everything up because I was suppose to land at 2pm, buy bike by 3pm and be home by 9pm.

Got to the guys house at 630pm and bought the bike. Took off at 7pm and took 101N all the way. 2 hours of sunlight and 4 hours riding in the dark and no scenery that I hoped for. Instead, I just prayed that there wasn't a road hazard in front of me.

Got home at around 1am and I'm not sore at all. Cold, but not sore. Roadcrafter is not the warmest suit.

Overall, I am very surprised at how well the FZ -07 handled at freeway speeds. 65-80 all the way and the wind wasn't bad at all. No vibration and decent amount of power for overtaking. Very comfortable bike. I currently ride a ST1300, so I know what comfort is when riding.

I stopped 3 times for gas and to stretch the butt. I took a few on ramps hard but the front end felt really light so I backed off. I'm gonna explore that some more in the twisties.

The getting there part sucked but going back home wasn't bad at all. Thought it would've been the opposite.

Was this all worth it? It was a fun experience and I now know I can easily do 800 miles a day with a naked bike because I can hop back on now and go back to LA, no problem.

This bike is the perfect commuter and fun bike for me. Light weight, feels like riding a supermoto, good mpg, reliable, and comfortable. All I need.
Thanks for that report. Sounds like you got a great deal.  Are you planning on changing the oil, etc. now that you have it home?
Also, pics?

Good luck with that! Have you thought of checking into a "Frequent Flyer Miles Rehab Facility"?

"I'm doing it just to do it." <<<

Beemer

Archived