The MT-07 Forum

Barracuda Windscreen

mallard

Given that windscreens for the FZ-07 seem to be a hot topic, I thought I would post my recent purchase for my wife's bike. She rides a 2015 FZ-07 and I have the 2015 FJ-09. This is her first bike (so yes the FZ does make an excellent first bike) and she has gotten use to riding it without a windscreen. However, given that she typically will hit speeds of 90-100 mph when passing on the highway and cruises at speeds above 70 mph, I was concerned that the wind pressure was something that she would be fighting.
I ordered the windscreen on ebay from an Italian dealer on May 31st and it arrived on June 8th. Very fast shipping and delivery although the box looked like it had seen better days the windscreen was well wrapped and arrived without damage.
installation was very straight forward and took 20 minutes.
The windscreen goes very well the with lines of the FZ and it not a detractor at all. of all of the windscreens I have seen, this one would appear to be one the best matches for the FZ's style.
My wife and I went out for a ride yesterday and it was her first time with the windscreen. it was a windy day with winds about 20 mph. She is 5'8" tall. We rode on both highway and rural roads. Speeds on the highway were up to 80 mph. Her feedback was that it significantly reduced the pressure she felt on her chest and the air was now hitting her under the chin. She said she does not have to hang on the handle bars with a death grip when on the highway and that knees alone were enough to keep her comfortable. She said the bike was very stable at speed and she did not feel any appreciable amount of feedback from the wind on the windscreen.
So, the long and short of it is that the Barracuda windscreen seems to provide good protection at highway speeds and does not make your bike look alienish or like a conquistador...
JvdAE6f.jpg
93m8enL.jpg
SHqgPS0.jpg
LI3ZknI.jpg
KdHKyFj.jpg

Great looking screen actually! I've been looking at options myself to replace my ermax sport screen when I put woodcraft clip-ons know my ride.

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

Great looking screen actually! I've been looking at options myself to replace my ermax sport screen when I put woodcraft clip-ons know my ride.
It was a debate between the Barracuda and the GIVI. The GIVI looks to be a bit shorter and is a little cheaper (in terms of cost) however, I liked the looks of the Barracuda and thought the difference in height would add a bit more protection. Each windscreen has its own trade-offs, none of them is right for everyone but I think the Barracuda is a good compromise between form, fit and function. At the end of the day, my wife seems happy with the choice and since I have seen little written on them in this forum I wanted to share with the group.
All the bestD

• Global Moderator

Can we get a close-up of how it mounts?
my issue with the three screens ive tried so far... is that they all flex at 75+

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Can we get a close-up of how it mounts? my issue with the three screens ive tried so far... is that they all flex at 75+
Sure, I'll see if I can get a pic. Unfortunately I didn't take any during assembly. I do not believe the mount is flexing. I did a wiggle test after assembly and there is flex. However, what is flexing is the anchor point. The metal brackets (in the second picture above) mount to the top of headlight fairing (you remove the 4 bolts currently there and replace with the longer ones provided). The whole plastic fairing and mounting point flexes under load. I was surprised how much movement there actually is in the mounting point. I believe any windscreen attached to the headlight fairing will show some movement. Presumably the larger the windscreen, the more drag and therefore more movement.

• Global Moderator
Can we get a close-up of how it mounts? my issue with the three screens ive tried so far... is that they all flex at 75+
Sure, I'll see if I can get a pic. Unfortunately I didn't take any during assembly. I do not believe the mount is flexing. I did a wiggle test after assembly and there is flex. However, what is flexing is the anchor point. The metal brackets (in the second picture above) mount to the top of headlight fairing (you remove the 4 bolts currently there and replace with the longer ones provided). The whole plastic fairing and mounting point flexes under load. I was surprised how much movement there actually is in the mounting point. I believe any windscreen attached to the headlight fairing will show some movement. Presumably the larger the windscreen, the more drag and therefore more movement.

Thats how the puig, yamaha and givi screens attach.... maybe i'll just add a bracket to the bars to support the screen
thnx

• Global Moderator

The Yamaha screen actually attaches to the triple tree bracket with a longer screw and metal collar. I would be a bit worried about something breaking over time if the attach point is flexing.

• Global Moderator
The Yamaha screen actually attaches to the triple tree bracket with a longer screw and metal collar. I would be a bit worried about something breaking over time if the attach point is flexing.
mine didnt come with all of the corrdct hardware... tried installing it and noticed too much flex, returned it next day

Archived