The MT-07 Forum

I need help!!!

maalna2

Any of you guys have a wife that was totally against you getting a motorcycle? If so how did you end up getting it? I have tried everything short of just going and putting a deposit down. But have been told the asking for forgiveness rather than permission thing is a no go since I have already talked to her about it. Any help or words of wisdom y'all can give?

• Global Moderator

I made an agreement with my wife that if I get a motorcycle she gets to go on a trip to Germany (I think she intends to return). Not sure if you could make some sort of deal like that. You might try and see if she will do the MSF course with you. Perhaps she will realize that it is not as dangerous as she thinks with proper training.

That's the thing she has let me do the MSF and get my license. She is just holding out on letting me get a motorcycle. She claims I did not tell her that by taking the course I was able to get my license so she is pissed about that.

• Premium Member

Get a different wife? I kid... I kid.

What's her concern, safety? Maybe strike up an agreement involving hi vis gear and armor on all the joints all the time, combined with high strength textiles or leathers. Convince her you'll ride fully protected every time and within the bounds of your skills.

Everything went braap.

Yes it is safety. That and it is not wise to get one having two small children that need me. Those are the only two things I hear when I bring it up.

• Premium Member

Having a grumpy father isn't conducive to childhood development. Motorcycles are great medicine for this! Not like saying that is likely to advance your case however. Take out a fantastic life insurance policy perhaps.

Her concerns make sense, but suck for you. I would definitely work the safety angle with high end protective gear, it does save lives.

Everything went braap.

My friend had a similiar situation to yours and what he did actually made her a huge fan of riding.
What he did was what was suggested before, have her take the MSF course. If all goes well she will be wanting a bike for herself also

Lucky for me my wife (and her family) all ride so no issues ever for motorcycle conflicts. Hell, she feel more at ease when I am riding than driving my truck

"It takes an idiot to do cool things; that's why it's cool" - FLCL

Your only choice is to "communicate" with her.
Yes, emphasize that you are a responsible person (hope you are) and will be very careful.
Then, you have to buy her off. Offer her a new car or to redo the kitchen. How much are you ready to spend to get your way? because its gona cost you. Good luck, that's going to be a tough sell.

• Premium Member

Well, time for a new wife.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

I made an agreement with my wife that if I get a motorcycle she gets to go on a trip to Germany (I think she intends to return). Not sure if you could make some sort of deal like that. You might try and see if she will do the MSF course with you. Perhaps she will realize that it is not as dangerous as she thinks with proper training.
It's not all about safety, especially if allowing her to take a trip to Germany appears to negate that concern  :o  But I've been there too.  I didn't get my first ride until I was 46.  My kids were in there early 20's at the time so I got all the same arguments.  I took the MSF intermediate class at the time so that is certainly a good recommendation.  You should suggest you want to take the next class as well, but as always, family first helps with a long marriage.  I'm coming up on 37 years.

I have seen a lot of bad advice on this site but this thread tops them all. Its OK to lie to yourself about why you like to ride and you will be so careful it will never happen to you... I do it all the time!
Here's the rub. If you lie to her it will be difficult to stay married. I know.
So here's what worked for me. She would never support my desire to ride so it took a little strategy, er, maybe trickery!
I'll fill you in when I have the time.
to be continued,

Yamabob, you can't leave me hanging like that. Haha
As for safety I agree with you I am sure I will ride safe but there will be times I might see what the bike will do.

1. Just go do it
2. Get really good insurance so that if the worst thing happens, she is covered monetarily.
3. Enjoy the quiet time she gives you after you get it home.

Really thing about it, you know your wife better than we do. If you get and she is pissed, will she let you ride or will you spend money on basically garage furniture.

I have seen a lot of bad advice on this site but this thread tops them all. Its OK to lie to yourself about why you like to ride and you will be so careful it will never happen to you... I do it all the time! Here's the rub. If you lie to her it will be difficult to stay married. I know.
So here's what worked for me. She would never support my desire to ride so it took a little strategy, er, maybe trickery!
I'll fill you in when I have the time.
to be continued,
Yup, lying or deceiving not recommended.  I prefer persuasion or get your partner's buy-in.  Much better all around.   Especially since I'm a terrible liar  :P

This reminds me of a vid i saw not too long ago:

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

foxtrotzulu07
It's not lying if you just show up with a new motorcycle. That's being about as honest as you can.
That's what I did and was happily married thereafter. :) 

My fiancé has been talking about getting a motorcycle for years. I have always been against it. Especially since we moved to Virginia, drivers seem to be much worse here. What finally convinced me was him suggesting I get a bike too, and suddenly it became something we can do together to become closer. He got a Yamaha Bolt, and I got the Fz 07. Maybe try that with your wife? It's always more fun with a partner. Couples who ride together, stay together!

• Premium Member
Virginia, drivers seem to be much worse here

True story that is.

Everything went braap.

olderthandirt

What happened to all the REAL MEN? Where did they go? Who the hell wears the pants in your family? It's a sad damn day when a wife just flat out COMMANDS you not to buy a motorcycle. What happened to compromise? Your marriage is doomed already if you bow down and eat shit just so you can get laid. Man the fuck up.

Congress is the only whore house in the United States that loses money.

Archived