The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 Crashes Going 77MPH on Highway

rxSpeeD

This is why we wear gear people!
Hope he recovers quickly and glad he's not seriously injured.

Edit: Title changed to please albatrosscafe  :)

• Premium Member

I can get it if you decide not to gear up and all.

But if you know you'll be doing 90 mph, and still willfully choose a t-shirt, that speaks volumes on your personality.

Surprised his wrists held up when he tried to catch himself.

Everything went braap.

• Global Moderator

Horrible to watch. Sure, he was acting like a dork and should have geared up, but nobody deserves to get hurt.

Never mind. Read that he pulled a wheelie.

Edit- read some more comments on YouTube and that might not be the case. He noted that he's never pulled a wheelie on the FZ. Hmmm...

Was going only 77mph at time of crash. Nice clickbait title @rxspeed 8D

Lol sorry. I just copied his YouTube video title. I didn't really look at his speedo, I was more focused on the crashing part.

So what exactly caused the crash? I'm going to start commuting in the Fall and shit like this scares the crap out of me. Did he screw up or was it something out of his control?

• Premium Member

Nobody knows, he claims he'll upload another video to document cause and recovery.

Said he wasn't doing anything but riding along. Wouldn't expect him to say otherwise though, it would result in an internet roast.

Everything went braap.

He was def trying to stand up or something on the bike. You can see how he was sitting normally in the first second and then he stands up and his camera is way above the dash.

it looks totally self inflicted, he starts to slalom (appears intentional) and at that speed the bike just reacted more than he was prepared for. Don't be an ass and it most likely won't happen to you. I don't think the result was anything to do with the bike itself, just the rider being careless.

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

• Global Moderator
Was going only 77mph at time of crash. Nice clickbait title @rxspeed 8D
Too bad he wasnt going 88.333 mph
he wouldnt have crashed... instead he wouldve jumped back in time and met his twice great grandmother

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Ok people this is a great example of what not to do. First off gear up. The road rash that he has isn't the worst part. He has to go to the hospital and have all the rocks and crap scrubbed out (which will hurt worse than the accident).
Second a steering damper is not the answer. Listen if you ever experience this the first thing is let your grip go. The worst thing is trying to hang on and stop it. If he would of loose his grip it would of stopped. Don't think for one minute a steering damper would of worked.
PLEASE PEOPLE WEAR YOUR GEAR ALL THE TIME. Yes I am speaking from personal experience. When I was 18 and had my first bike I laid a bike down at 35 in shorts, tank top and no helmet. I had to have everything scrubbed out and it hurt like HELL. I can only imagine what he is going to go through but its not going to be fun. I have always worn full gear since that. Trust me you never ever want to go through it.
OK I am off my soap box. I just hate to see anyone get hurt when they don't need too.

Popping wheelies (or attempting to) on the freeway going those speeds with no gear and landing the way he did is the pure definition of a Squid. And the common result of one from such careless action. Youtube comments section is fairly rich.

Either 1) Don't attempt this or
2) Get a steering dampener and/or
3) Practice slower or controlled wheelies

Seen it all before...

I don't think he was trying to pop a wheelie. You can see in the beginning of the video, he only had 1 hand on the handlebars, then starts bouncing up and down for some reason. Then he gets into a tank slapper and tightens his grip on the bars instead of letting the bike sort itself out of the slapper. You don't see him coming down from a wheelie or even attempt one in my opinion.

I don't think he was trying to pop a wheelie. You can see in the beginning of the video, he only had 1 hand on the handlebars, then starts bouncing up and down for some reason. Then he gets into a tank slapper and tightens his grip on the bars instead of letting the bike sort itself out of the slapper. You don't see him coming down from a wheelie or even attempt one in my opinion.
He may not be coming down from some hard wheelie, but that road looks freshly paved and the clip oddly starts precisely when he loses control of the bike. I've seen tons of moto crash videos and rarely is it clipped so close to the beginning of a crash. If he included 30 seconds of footage prior, we could actual learn something from it. But it's obviously he purposely edited it out and for a reason. 
Whatever activity he was doing before the crash is quite suspect (although my assumption), and then factor in his age, lack of gear, riding experience, and you have a common case.

As for gear... better a cow's hide than mine.

He is young. Watch his other videos and you can gain a sense of his maturity.

He has probably omitted the into(re: cause) of said crash either for insurance or parents reasons.

• Premium Member

Interesting video that is clearly edited. Every tank slap I've seen happens right after a wheelie or because someone is going fast on a crappy road and the bumps mess up the front and rear wheel synchronization. Too bad we can't learn more from the accident.

• Premium Member

I see what went wrong here, clearly, if only he'd worn his sequined speedo with the azz cheeks cut out, and some saucy red heels, some dollops of peanut butter smeared on his nipples along with the old stars and stripes tied around his neck....

The old sock just wasnt dressed for success.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I see what went wrong here, clearly, if only he'd worn his sequined speedo with the azz cheeks cut out, and some saucy red heels, some dollops of peanut butter smeared on his nipples along with the old stars and stripes tied around his neck....  
The old sock just wasnt dressed for success.

Dollops! Good word!

bigdaddybane
Ok people this is a great example of what not to do. First off gear up. The road rash that he has isn't the worst part. He has to go to the hospital and have all the rocks and crap scrubbed out (which will hurt worse than the accident). Second a steering damper is not the answer. Listen if you ever experience this the first thing is let your grip go. The worst thing is trying to hang on and stop it. If he would of loose his grip it would of stopped. Don't think for one minute a steering damper would of worked.
PLEASE PEOPLE WEAR YOUR GEAR ALL THE TIME. Yes I am speaking from personal experience. When I was 18 and had my first bike I laid a bike down at 35 in shorts, tank top and no helmet. I had to have everything scrubbed out and it hurt like HELL. I can only imagine what he is going to go through but its not going to be fun. I have always worn full gear since that. Trust me you never ever want to go through it.
OK I am off my soap box. I just hate to see anyone get hurt when they don't need too.
I can't agree more. Great amount of foolishness at such a high speed can easily put you in a tough spot. For those without similar experience, I can assure you steering damper wouldn't make any difference ... absolutely none.        

Archived