The MT-07 Forum

What size rear tire are you running / pics please

recurveshooter

recurveshooter
There had been some talk about the rear tire being a little bigger than needed. Have any of you replaced it with a smaller tire? And if so, what did you use? Can you post a pic or two so we can see what it looks like? Thanks - recurveshooter

• Global Moderator
I'm actually going one size larger when it's time... If it fits ☺ looks better to me
The 190 series tire is a bit too wide for the 5.5" stock wheel..
@pgeldz and Andy from AP Motoarts are running a 60 series 180 tire.. slightly taller version of the stocker

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

canyoncarver31
20160609_223848.jpgIm running a 190/55 in the rear, Q3.  Fits fine, many 750s 600s run this size with a 5.5 rim.  The 180/60 only comes on the pirelli Supercorsa.  Visually not much different from the 180, just has that little more rubber on the side.  

20160609_223848.jpgIm running a 190/55 in the rear, Q3.  Fits fine, many 750s 600s run this size with a 5.5 rim.  The 180/60 only comes on the pirelli Supercorsa.  Visually not much different from the 180, just has that little more rubber on the side.  
Nice ☺

• Premium Member

The 190 will physically fit on a 5.5" wheel, sure, but the FZ-07 doesn't make enough power to use all the grip of a 190 and I'd venture to say because the geometry of the FZ-07, it'll slow turn in and hurt handling.  If folks like the way it looks than that's perfectly fine, but from a performance perspective, the 180 is better (and lighter).

As for the 180/60 only coming in the Pirelli SuperCorsa, that's not entirely true.  It also comes in the Pirelli Diablo Corsa, Diablo Rosso II, as well as the  Michelin Power Supersport EVO and some Metzeler tires also.  Still limited selection yes, but there are some choices.

:)

- Paulie

The 190 will physically fit on a 5.5" wheel, sure, but the FZ-07 doesn't make enough power to use all the grip of a 190 and I'd venture to say because the geometry of the FZ-07, it'll slow turn in and hurt handling.  If folks like the way it looks than that's perfectly fine, but from a performance perspective, the 180 is better (and lighter).

As for the 180/60 only coming in the Pirelli SuperCorsa, that's not entirely true.  It also comes in the Pirelli Diablo Corsa, Diablo Rosso II, as well as the  Michelin Power Supersport EVO and some Metzeler tires also.  Still limited selection yes, but there are some choices.

:)

- Paulie
My Aprilia weighs a solid 100 lbs more and wears the same exact size tires w/ a 5.5" wide rim in back. Most guys never go wider. Those that do switch back sooner than later as the handling becomes heavy and less planted. A 190 tire really should be on a 6" rim to have the proper profile.    
So yeah, if you want a bigger look, have fun. I suspect a 160 tire would noticeably lighten steering and might even make acceleration a bit stronger as the motor has less tire to spin. 

If you are putting a rear 190 on this bike it is for looks not for performamce. A PERFECTLY valid reason I might add, but you will be paying more for decreased performance.
It isn't a car. Bigger tyres do not equal more grip. A wider tyre also changes the shape of the contact patch to shorter and wider so it is less directional. It will deflect less for the same tyre pressure ( needs less deflection per load/area) so will be harsher . It will weigh more so will require more HP to spin to the same RPM. It is also slightly more likely to plane in the wet.
This is a very light bike for it's capacity and does NOT have a big HP. Both things tend to lean the bike to a SMALLER tyre than the one fitted if you are after performance. Yes sport 600's can use a 180 very effectively but they have more HP to control.
In my opinion ( and it is only my opinion) if I were racing this bike it would have a 160/60 or 70 to give the best weight/grip. It definitely wouldn't need bigger than a 165/65 slick and for wet on a track I would prefer a 150/70 ( especially if I could fit a slipper).
Yamaha put this size tyre on as a styling exercise. They did it on the tiny yzfr125 as well which had a 130 ( with a 3'5"rim) on the back when it needed a 100 . You have to drag a tyre that is nearly twice the weight with just 13hp to play with.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

canyoncarver31

I disagree, Ive been riding with 190/55 tires on 5.5 rims for my 600s, 750's and 1000s. Gives some added height to the rear (affects the trail) making the bike turn better. The bikes are set up very neutral with stock suspension. Most stock suspension doesnt have a height adjustment on the shock.  Easy way of adding couple of mils to get the bike to steer.  I run a 200/60 on my R1. Steers much better than the 190 stock tire. I am talking about the 190/55 not 190/50.

But in all it depends on what kind of riding you do.  I don't commute, and all my time is in twisties or track.  The 190 may be overkill, but for the price difference, I like the feel of the 190.  Now the 180/60 may also be a good choice, but tire choices will be limited, as mentioned above.  

If I was riding a r1 I would also wear a 190 or 200. weight and power would indicate that would be closer to optimium. If I were riding a sport 600 or 750 I would probably run a 180. If I were riding a heavy touring 650, 750 or 100 I would also wear a bigger tyre. But I am riding a very light, low(ish) power 6xxcc twin. I WILL put a on 170/60 when I change tyres and would put a 160/60 on if I trusted it on the rim. Note a 160/60 is only 3mm lower than a 180/55 ( 96 vs 99mm).
I also disagree this bike is neutral handling. I find it very rear biased. Even with what I have done I still feel the front is a bit vague ( although markedly improved). I do think some of the remaining vagueness is the atypical harshnessS23's though. To that end you comment about a taller tyre on the front is something I agree with to help shift the load on to the front a little. But as pattonme points this bike has only 90mm trail standard ( ie it's short end of normal stability). I actually raised the rear but I actually like twitchy front ends. A 170/60 will give me an extra 3mm ( probably not noticeable on the road), but a longer contact patch and a bit more deflection .

canyoncarver31

Good points, other than giving some added height in the rear, I don't think the bike benefits with the 190. At the same time, I can't really feel the 'slowed" turning either or difference in weight. How are you raising the rear?

Extreme Creations linkage ( +25mm, 0,-25 and -35mm positions). There is a post on it somewhere on the forum.
Didn't make it myself as it is a bit too complicated for my meagre machining skills.

thomascrown

I have a wilbers shock on order that bumps up ride height by 25mm, and increases suspension travel at the same time. Probably the best choice in terms of wanting to hike the rear up.

There are people that highside 250s, how much rear tire you need is dependent on your style. I don't agree that the FZ07 is over tired. It actually has the ideal tire setup for lightweight twin.

Basically, if yer not routinely running to the edges of any tire (and most of us don't on the street) I don't see a point in adding more unused rubber to the width. It also makes the tire more work to mount - and I do that for myself and friends.

Archived