The MT-07 Forum

Why can't my ducks be in a row already?!?!?

fz074life

• Global Moderator

Do the MSF course. You will be glad you did. I had my endorsement but had done very little riding for quite a while and took the course. It was definitely worthwhile.

Just recently someone did a panic stop and didn't use both brakes like they teach you to do in the MSF course and he went down fast and paid. (glad he's alright) It's a no brainer, MSF, insurance break or not. (embrace the feisty ;)  )

Beemer

Guest ChicagoAJ
Yeah, that's probably what's going to happen. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm looking at that way there's a small chance for error or delay when the time comes. The longer I wait, the more sad I get......no homo.  
In other news, what are your guys thought of me taking the $210 msf course at the college here? I know a lot of guys say to just go take the written and road test at the DMV becaus it's less of a headache and easier, but in a way that doesn't make sense to me.

1. It would give me an insurance discount.
2. It would help me understand riding fundamentals and safety practices.
3. I don't have a 3, I just figured I needed to put a 3rd point here so I did.

Any thoughts?
IDOT around here lets do you the class for $20 and they refund it if you request it making the class free. I've always heard of people taking the class at Harley dealers around me paying upwards of $250 and I just think that's crazy. I took mine at a College/University but it was set up by the Illinois Department of Transportation. Can't believe they charge so much for a class designed to save lives, I grew up on dirt bikes and that class taught me way more in the 20 hours than the thousands of hours I spent on a dirt bike. 

Yeah it's a no brainer. The only local classes are at my community college or at the school by the bike dealership an hour and a half away. And I don't think either one of them offer a refund or free classes? Double-you Tee Eff, mate? Oh well, I'll pay for safety and wisdom.

They are saying I need gloves, over the ankle riding boots. And a jacket or long sleeve, any recommendations? I want to be able to like the stuff I get so I can use it for riding, so I was just going to get what I wanted.

Are these considered good enough for the msf?

https://www.google.com/search?q=motorcycle+footwear&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&biw=640&bih=335&tbm=isch&prmd=simvn&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjmxKmEup7NAhWLXB4KHUsHBVsQ_AUIBSgC#imgrc=TLq-CgAriRF6iM%3A

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-stadium-shoes

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-overlord-resistance-hi-viz-gloves

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-overlord-textile-jacket

I'm going with the hi-viz option on everything, but after I get the bike I will be buying other gear too, a lot of black and hi viz, or gray, etc

Here's my helmet. Also going to be the hi viz/ black

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/speed-and-strength-ss3000-lightspeed-helmet#overview

Guest ChicagoAJ

I took the class before I had any bike related gear except a dirt bike helmet and goggles. I used Mechanix work gloves, black steel toe Wal-Mart boots, just a long sleeve t-shirt, and pajama pants. It was about 80 when I did my course so I'm glad I dressed light, everyone in actual riding gear was stripping off as many layers as possible. You don't need a lot of protection as you likely won't get over 20mph, we had a few people go down (myself included during panic stops in gravel).

• Premium Member

Yeah they're good enough. All you actually need to take the course is a full face helmet, anything with long sleeves (literally, anything), and any pair of gloves (leather work gloves were acceptable when I took it) and any pair of boots that go over the ankles. Which is to say, any pair of boots.

None of it has to be motorcycle specific if you don't want to buy gear during peak season.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

If you want the cheapest way out (without buying the gear yet), you could get a pair of $10-15 leather gloves from home depot (the course may even provide it), any over the ankle boots should work (so find a friend with same size feet who has boots that you can borrow), and I just wore a long sleeve running jacket.

Hobbs, it will be in late October, and I'm not worried About money. I'm also not worried about the heat or buying gear before I buy my bike. I will be taking it in nice cool weather season (Late October in East Tennessee) and I will be buying gear that I can use on my bike so that when I do get my bike 3 months later, I will already have some gear to ride in.

Thanks for the replies.

I took the class before I had any bike related gear except a dirt bike helmet and goggles. I used Mechanix work gloves, black steel toe Wal-Mart boots, just a long sleeve t-shirt, and pajama pants. It was about 80 when I did my course so I'm glad I dressed light, everyone in actual riding gear was stripping off as many layers as possible. You don't need a lot of protection as you likely won't get over 20mph, we had a few people go down (myself included during panic stops in gravel).
*For newbs or anyone unaware of how to brake differently on gravel. This isn't directed at you Chicago, maybe you were aware but still went down. Happens to the best. I don't recall the instructor in my MSF course saying this (no gravel on my course) but just in case yours are not saying it, a panic stop on gravel should be done with the back brake only. There are video's on you tube that demonstrate the proper technique. 

Beemer

Guest ChicagoAJ
*For newbs or anyone unaware of how to brake differently on gravel. This isn't directed at you Chicago, maybe you were aware but still went down. Happens to the best. I don't recall the instructor in my MSF course saying this (no gravel on my course) but just in case yours are not saying it, a panic stop on gravel should be done with the back brake only. There are video's on you tube that demonstrate the proper technique. 
My little TW200 didn't have a back brake (it had the pedal, but literally didn't work) and practicing stops in gravel was to get us prepared for the street. No one was happy about doing it. But every time I've had to stop in gravel since I've been ok, haha. 

My little TW200 didn't have a back brake (it had the pedal, but literally didn't work) and practicing stops in gravel was to get us prepared for the street. No one was happy about doing it. But every time I've had to stop in gravel since I've been ok, haha. 

I was on a tw200 as well. My rear brake worked, but she didn't start up half the time lol.

I was on a tw200 as well. My rear brake worked, but she didn't start up half the time lol.
Shhhh, it's a Yamaha.

Beemer

Archived