The MT-07 Forum

Why can't my ducks be in a row already?!?!?

fz074life

OK. I've been following everyone for quite some time, researching like crazy. A lot of people tell me I'm too in depth when it comes to planning ahead, but I just like to have a plan?!? Am I wrong? So anyway... I want the armor grey fz-07. I have been talking to local dealers and they all say they don't have any in stock but could definitely get one in for me. I'm cool with that. The main problem is that I'm not getting it until February of 2017. Both dealers told me they cannot guarantee this because they may change color schemes. If the '17s color schemes are awesome. I may just get one of those, but if not, what do you guys recommend?

Also,

I'm trying to get my credit as high as possible and pay off a couple of things before I twist the throttle on this bike. I also need a bunch of gear that I currently have in my revzilla account with a price tag of $3800 including aftermarket parts and exhaust, fuel controller, etc, etc. Would I be better off getting one big loan from my credit union for 11,000 as long as my APR is good, or should I finance the bike through the dealership's bank and then finance the gear separately?

Thanks in advance.

FZ074Life

• Premium Member

I'll give you my personal experience and hopefully it helps.
I actually started off with Yamaha financing and then within a month switched my loan to a credit union.
Yamaha financing opened up a credit card through Capital One and almost maxed it out. If this happens, it can drag your credit down (especially if you have some other stuff you're paying off) so you're better off with a secured loan than another credit card. They also calculated my credit score as much lower than I expected (about 80 points below what my credit union calculated it to be about a month later) so they wouldn't give me the special 4% APR. Also, the credit union gave me a better APR percentage on the loan (3.75% I believe). Your experience may not be the same though.

good luck with getting your finances in order and getting the fz07!

My credit union just offered me 1.99% at 5 years (60 months) for 142.00 per month with a credit score of 651. To me this sounds legit. She said she can stretch it to 72 months (6 years) at 2.75% for 121.00 per month. I'm happy with those numbers. That's with an OTD price of $8200. I wanted the dealership to throw an exhaust on it for me so if they can't do it for that price then I'm gonna just get the add ons myself with my tax return. And this is a no money down offer. Does this sound like a good deal?

bmwpowere36m3

I'd slow your roll... considering other loans and obligations you mentioned. Get the gear and bike first, learn, ride, enjoy, probably drop it and then get aftermarket stuff.

Have you checked on insurance yet? You'll need comprehensive if you finance.

Lol. Don't worry it is an extremely planned out adventure and I will not mess this up! Also. I have a qoute for 59.00 per month full coverage with all the extra bells and whistles, $250 deductible.

• Premium Member

You can always swap/ buy new body panels if you don't get the color bike you want

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Yeah I've been looking into that. Can I fit armor grey plastics for the '16 on a '15? I definitely wouldn't mind having a white one and then just change every now and then between the two.

Guest ChicagoAJ
I'd slow your roll... considering other loans and obligations you mentioned. Get the gear and bike first, learn, ride, enjoy, probably drop it and then get aftermarket stuff.  
Have you checked on insurance yet? You'll need comprehensive if you finance.
He'll need collision too if he finances it, that's where the big bucks come into play when paying for insurance.  

But definitely slow down, you don't need $3800 worth of stuff right when you get the bike. $8200 out the door isn't even that great of a price, they should definitely be able to throw in an exhaust for that kind of money unless you're in an area that sells out of these bikes immediately. I got mine for $7400 OTD and I've seen people around here getting them for less. Check a couple hundred miles away and see if they're cheaper, they likely will be. 

Yeah I've been looking into that. Can I fit armor grey plastics for the '16 on a '15? I definitely wouldn't mind having a white one and then just change every now and then between the two.

You can swap plastics on any of the years. But you can't swap frames. Rims you could, but they're pricey. Better to get the frame/wheel color you want and then think about swapping plastics from there.

• Global Moderator

That is not a great deal for a used bike. I would pay $6,000 tops.

Get gear as you can (keep an eye out for sales or used gesr that is in good condition (I would not buy a used helmet though)) and if you are waiting until winter to buy then start negotiating prices then. You will get a better deal when it is not the middle of riding season. Also wait until near the end of the month when the salesperson will want to get their commission in that month and not have to wait. Be ready to walk away...they can smell your eagerness:)

Good luck with the purchase.

Guest ChicagoAJ
That is not a great deal for a used bike. I would pay $6,000 tops.  
Get gear as you can (keep an eye out for sales or used gesr that is in good condition (I would not buy a used helmet though)) and if you are waiting until winter to buy then start negotiating prices then. You will get a better deal when it is not the middle of riding season. Also wait until near the end of the month when the salesperson will want to get their commission in that month and not have to wait. Be ready to walk away...they can smell your eagerness:)

Good luck with the purchase.
This - I got mine with 0 miles for only $400 more than that guy is asking. Offer 6k, max. Anyone getting rid of a bike that early probably beat the hell out of it. 

Buy used and pay cash.... I have not had a car payment or a credit card payment since 2000. If you cant pay cash you cant afford it.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Buy used and pay cash.... I have not had a car payment or a credit card payment since 2000. If you cant pay cash you cant afford it.
Buy new and pay cash! I've done that with my last 2 bikes and 3 cars. However, I have a credit card payment every month, but it's always the entire balance. Paid cash for my condo too, gotta keep my credit up somehow and paying off my cards every month does just that.  
0 debt and a college degree, still just a hair under 30 as well. Not many people can say that these days. I'm done now, sorry for bragging. Just proud of myself lol. 

You guys are feisty!!! So if paying cash is being able to afford it, and financing for half the price, let's say 3500, is not being able to afford it, then If I can never afford a bike, I should just not get one? I mean I understand the logic behind it, being debt free and all, but if one was never able to afford what they wanted at a cash price, and had the option of financing, why not live your dream and just finance the dang thing?

Rant Over.

Anyways, I have been calculating and I can comfortably AFFORD ( since people are being all wise and great) to save up enough cash by February or March to pay cash for the bike. With this being a cash purchase now, shouldn't i be able to talk the dealership WAY down on the OTD price?

Any and all info is greatly appreciated, even if you do sound like my dad

BAHA!

FZ074LIFE

bmwpowere36m3

Dealer doesn't usually care, cash or finance.... either way they get paid.

As far as loans... most people wouldn't be able to buy a house if they "should" have the cash. However, a motorcycle is a toy and a depreciating asset.

Honestly, if it were me. I'd get a used cheap bike, ride it for a year, learn and then sell it. Many riders are gung-ho to ride, only to realize it's not for them (time, effort, skill, safety, etc....).

Guest ChicagoAJ
You guys are feisty!!! So if paying cash is being able to afford it, and financing for half the price, let's say 3500, is not being able to afford it, then If I can never afford a bike, I should just not get one? I mean I understand the logic behind it, being debt free and all, but if one was never able to afford what they wanted at a cash price, and had the option of financing, why not live your dream and just finance the dang thing? 
Rant Over.

Anyways, I have been calculating and I can comfortably AFFORD ( since people are being all wise and great) to save up enough cash by February or March to pay cash for the bike. With this being a cash purchase now, shouldn't i be able to talk the dealership WAY down on the OTD price?

Any and all info is greatly appreciated, even if you do sound like my dad

BAHA!

FZ074LIFE
You can talk them down with cash, just tell them how much you got and that's all you're wiling to spend. I told a couple dealers through email that I had just over 7k for a bike and I'd pay with personal check. After a couple dealers kept shooting me lower prices I got one down to $7400 OTD, luckily I had just sold my previous CBR for $4700 so I didn't have to pay much more out of pocket. I was more than happy with that price for a 2016 in March of this year. Then I spent another grand on parts and called it a day. Don't settle, and don't make payments with ridiculous interest. 

Yeah, I have great financing rates already, so come February my Interest Game should be on point. Like you guys said, I'd prefer to pay cash, So I'm going top try and have at least 7k by February to drop. Then I can buy gear and add-ons with my tax return!

As for buying used due to "not knowing if I will like it or not",

That's nonsense. I hear that all the time. I used to race ATV's and Dirt Bikes on the Ice for AMA (American Motocross Association) in a Minor League when I was 14-18 years old, and I MISS IT SO MUCH. I know it doesn't compare to a street bike, but I've sat on a couple of models, including the FZ-07, 09, Street Triple R, SV650, F800R, NC700, and a few others so far, and I can tell this is for me. I'm not sure about the Biased opinions from people of "you wont like it, its not for you, do this, do that"

It's been a passion of mine for years and now that I'm finally about to embark on a journey (having Safety and Protection as my [HASH]1 Mindset) a lot of people are shooting me down, including my wife. she's just now hopping on the bandwagon and supporting my decision, and that brings joy to my heart knowing that she's coming around and realizes my dream should eventually come to life.

Cant wait to embark on this journey, and I appreciate your guy's info.

FZ074Life.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

8200 otd is too much in my opinion. Where are you going? Hickory isn't too far from me in greenville sc. I drove to Atlanta and paid MSRP out the door. But i had cash or a certified check rather.

8200 otd is too much in my opinion. Where are you going? Hickory isn't too far from me in greenville sc. I drove to Atlanta and paid MSRP out the door. But i had cash or a certified check rather.

Yeah dude, I know that's steep. This chick at Honda Yamaha of Knoxville is working on qouting me an OTD price for cash or check, so I'm sure it will be around the 7400 range. If that's the lowest I can get any local places to go, than I'm fine with that.

• Global Moderator

You said in your first post that you were not planning to buy until February. If that is still the plan I would wait and negotiate the price then. You should get a better deal in the middle of winter when bike are harder to sell.

I got out of the banking game back in 2001 and have been on a cash only basis since then. I'm better off for it, too. I did use a credit union before and they're usually great, I would do everything with them if I were you but then again ... saving, waiting, paying cash and owning it instantly is a great feeling. Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Signed,

Dad  ;)

Beemer

Buy new and pay cash! I've done that with my last 2 bikes and 3 cars. However, I have a credit card payment every month, but it's always the entire balance. Paid cash for my condo too, gotta keep my credit up somehow and paying off my cards every month does just that.  
0 debt and a college degree, still just a hair under 30 as well. Not many people can say that these days. I'm done now, sorry for bragging. Just proud of myself lol. 
James 4:6 But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” 
;)  Yep, you screwed the pooch this time! lol!

Beemer

Yeah, that's probably what's going to happen. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm looking at that way there's a small chance for error or delay when the time comes. The longer I wait, the more sad I get......no homo.

In other news, what are your guys thought of me taking the $210 msf course at the college here? I know a lot of guys say to just go take the written and road test at the DMV becaus it's less of a headache and easier, but in a way that doesn't make sense to me.

1. It would give me an insurance discount.
2. It would help me understand riding fundamentals and safety practices.
3. I don't have a 3, I just figured I needed to put a 3rd point here so I did.

Any thoughts?

Archived