The MT-07 Forum

Quick turn throttle?

roninracing

OK, back from a fun 95-mile sporty ride on curvy and hilly roads.

The stock FZ-07 throttle tube is 34mm in diameter at the cam.
The 2006 R6 one is 42mm in diameter.
That 8mm difference gives the bike a new feeling when opening the throttle - it opens right now, with no dropping your elbow or re-gripping the throttle grip.
It is now so much easier to dial-in major throttle openings on corner exit, climbing over a rise, or just accelerating away from a stop that the bike now feels more powerful.
Proceed with caution.

In my opinion, for sport or performance riding, it is just what the doctor ordered.
If you are a newbie or feel the throttle is already sensitive/twitchy/touchy enough, don't bother.

• Premium Member

Ordering this Monday. I literally can't wait, lol. This is gonna be fun.

Can you confirm for us once again the exact OEM part number from Yamaha? I gave them the number you posted (2C0-26240-00-00) and in fact I was standing there looking at their screen when they pulled it up. It is for a 2006+ R6, non S model, and they said (and the computer showed a picture) that it comes with the grip.

When I said I just might use that grip and order the left grip to complete the pair, the part number for the left grip was the same as for the throttle tube w/included grip. Unless he looked it up wrong, there may be a discrepancy somewhere. They will look into it Monday but I figured it might be less of a hassle taking the grip off the new throttle tube and just get the matching left grip.

Did your R6 tube come with the grip attached?

- Paulie

The Yamaha part number for the matching left-hand grip is:

2C0-26241-00-00

So, yeah, somebody looked it up wrong/read the screen wrong/was stoned. ;)

The throttle tube part number is:

2C0-26240-00-00

It does come with the grip already glued in place.

Just ordered that tube and thought it prudent to replace both grips at the same time. Ordered a 2006 R6 grip to replace the throttle grip, and a 2015 FZ-07 grip to replace the clutch side grip. There are some dope grips out there that could be color matched to the blurple 07. Link below.

Several questions:
Should I install the throttle tube with attached R6 grip first, then replace the grip? Might make it easier to get off if it's attached to the bike.
Is that R6 grip straight up glued to the throttle tube? That might make it invulnerable to compressed air.

http://www.amazon.com/Grip-X-Slim-Road-Trail-Grips/dp/B0022ZCJIC/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1411496250&sr=8-10&keywords=progrip+838

I'd put the throttle tube on first, and then change the grip.
However, the 2006 YZFR6 OEM throttle tube already comes with a 2006 YZFR6 grip stuck to it, and you mentioned replacing the throttle side grip with one from a 2006 YZFR6.
Did I read that correctly?

Wedging a long, thin screwdriver between the grip and throttle tube and squirting WD-40 in there will loosen it right up.

Ah yeah. I meant one designed to fit that throttle tube, so one for a 2006 R6. Not the exact grip. Thanks for the info though, I'm stoked on this mod. I can barely get full throttle with the current setup.

Ah yeah. I meant one designed to fit that throttle tube, so one for a 2006 R6. Not the exact grip. Thanks for the info though, I'm stoked on this mod. I can barely get full throttle with the current setup.

The FZ grips fit the R6 throttle perfectly, but if you want to put something else on, do it! :)

The compressed air didn't work for me. That original glue is strong. I also used a long small screwdriver and gently worked it around the tube separately the glued surfaces. Then I spray some WD-40 and it came off easy. Overall, it was super easy and fast to remove.

I remove the throttle tube from the bike and then remove the grip from the bike. BUT I put it on in the opposite order, which I recommend. If you put the grip on the tube, you don't know how far to move it in. So, install the tube, put on the plastic washer, and then install the grip so you can slide it on to the correct depth.

Also, make sure to clean any surfaces you use WD-40 on. I used non chlorinated break cleaner.

Also, also, ;) I would use something that doesn't try instantly so you can make adjustments. I used 3M carpet adhesive. It has a longer dry time and I was able to wiggle the grip into place and make minor adjustments. If you use something like this AND install the grip after the tube is installed on the bike, some adhesive will be "scraped" off as you install it if you applied the adhesive to the inside of the grip instead of the outside of the tube. Just make sure to clean up all the adhesive or it can slow down the throttle return, as I it did in my case until I cleaned it up.

Damn dude. That is super helpful. I really appreciate it. Glad the FZ grips work on the new throttle tube as well, since that saves me having to order two separate ones.

• Premium Member

To get around having to take the grip off the R6 throttle tube, I just left it as-is and bought the matching left R6 grip :)

- Paulie

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else experienced the throttle becoming sticky once they switched the tube out? For whatever reason I cannot figure out what the problem is. I put some grease in between the tube and bar but still sticky. Any help would be great.

Follow me on Instagram. http://instagram.com/trebec

I've machined nylon pieces that clip into SV650 throttle tubes that make it a 1/5 turn throttle. I'm sure a similar piece could be made for the FZ-07. I had to trim a bit off the tube on the end of the throttle cable with a tube cutter, though.

Guest unknown

trebec, check your free-play. I had the same issue with mine when I made the switch. Just check it at the handlebar adjuster.

• 2 years later...

Just ordered the Motion Pro 01-0094 (R6 throttle tube) and some grips. Hoping for a good short throw.

-Chris
Central Roadracing Association #286E

Just ordered the Motion Pro 01-0094 (R6 throttle tube) and some grips. Hoping for a good short throw.
The motion pro part is not the same as the Yamama oem R6 tube: 
http://fz07.org/post/100980

I bought a motion pro R6 tube, barely any difference form stock. The genuine Yamaha R6 part is what you want.

Well dangit. You wouldn't happen to know the part # without the grip on it then, would you?

-Chris
Central Roadracing Association #286E

Well dangit. You wouldn't happen to know the part # without the grip on it then, would you?
You can't get it new without the grip, unless you're willing to buy used (ebay).

The Yamaha part number is 2C0-26240-0000.

Full thread with all info is here: http://fz07.org/thread/828

Archived