The MT-07 Forum

Quick turn throttle?

roninracing

Put my first back road miles on my bike today and if Georgia's 90 degree weather hadn't interrupted, I'd still be put there.  Onw thing I noticed is how long a throw the throttle has when trying to blip the throttle when downshifting into a corner. I'm thinking a quick turn throttle may be in order. Searched all around the web and found lots of quick turn throttle tubes but couldn't find anything specifically for the FZ or MT.

So...I call upon the more savvy interwebbers here for assistance.

Many thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Guest MXRider

I would be interested as well. Depending on the housing you might be able to fit a tube that has a slightly larger diameter cam on it. You could try a tube from a YZ450F and see if it fits the housing. They are cheap and have a quicker turn rate.

Thanks MX. I'll take a look. I forgot a lot of racers use R6 throttle tubes. Its a 40mm cam. Part number 2CO-26240-00. I lost my friggin calipers somewhere in the shop but will look tomorrow and pull the tube to see how much room there is.

Guest MXRider

I just measured a YZ450 throttle tube and it's 35mm at the cam. I'd be curious to see what the stock FZ tube measures at.

Oh, man, I'm watching this thread like a hawk! I agree the downshift needs a faster throttle tube. And going to full throttle really requires you to crank it around. Would love to upgrade.

Oh, man, I'm watching this thread like a hawk! I agree the downshift needs a faster throttle tube. And going to full throttle really requires you to crank it around. Would love to upgrade.
+1

• 2 weeks later...
Nice. Does it fit in the FZ housing?
Yep. Direct swap. No mods needed. If I hadn't been swapping my bars and taking forever drilling the locator holes, it would have been a 15 minute upgrade.

Nice... Bookmarking this one for later.  I only have about 100 miles on the bike (haven't even had it a week yet) but I was having issues "blipping" it on downshifts too.  I thought it was just me not being used to the throttle yet.  Maybe this mod is in order.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Guest MXRider

Nice. Does it fit in the FZ housing?
Yep. Direct swap. No mods needed. If I hadn't been swapping my bars and taking forever drilling the locator holes, it would have been a 15 minute upgrade.

Sweet. What bars did you go with? If they are tapered what clamps did you end up using?

Renthal Ultra Low 7/8 bar. Was a serious PITA! The left knurled end is slightly larger than because of the knurling. Had to break out the file to make the clutch lever mount fit over the end and then be very careful not to scratch the bar when sliding it on. All worked out though.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
Put my first back road miles on my bike today and if Georgia's 90 degree weather hadn't interrupted, I'd still be put there.  Onw thing I noticed is how long a throw the throttle has when trying to blip the throttle when downshifting into a corner. I'm thinking a quick turn throttle may be in order. Searched all around the web and found lots of quick turn throttle tubes but couldn't find anything specifically for the FZ or MT. 

I had the same problem, I just adjusted the tension on the throttle cable at the engine.  Got rid of all of the slop and that took care of it. 
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/guerro501/IMG_0244_zpsba7d6298.jpg

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

I had the same problem, I just adjusted the tension on the throttle cable at the engine.  Got rid of all of the slop and that took care of it. 
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/guerro501/IMG_0244_zpsba7d6298.jpg
I did the same thing. It makes the throttle plate react instantly, but I still felt I had to turn the throttle too much. This FZ initially revs up so slow compared to my last bike. 

I haven't adjusted mine yet, but looked at it yesterday quickly and determined I too had a bit of slop in the cable. Same goes for the clutch cable.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Guess what I did today :) :) :) :) 
Great job Bigity. Wish I had taken mine off the race bike before I sold it.  Ordering one today.

• 2 weeks later...

@bigity said: Yep. Direct swap. No mods needed. If I hadn't been swapping my bars and taking forever drilling the locator holes, it would have been a 15 minute upgrade.

Did you have to adjust your throttle cable at all? I bought the same part and it sticks when I tighten down the two allen bolts on the housing. Not too sure on how to fix this yet...

Nice... Bookmarking this one for later.  I only have about 100 miles on the bike (haven't even had it a week yet) but I was having issues "blipping" it on downshifts too.  I thought it was just me not being used to the throttle yet.  Maybe this mod is in order.  
This is what I thought also! I ended up doing the regular down shift and slowly releasing the clutch.

@bigity said: Yep. Direct swap. No mods needed. If I hadn't been swapping my bars and taking forever drilling the locator holes, it would have been a 15 minute upgrade.

Did you have to adjust your throttle cable at all? I bought the same part and it sticks when I tighten down the two allen bolts on the housing. Not too sure on how to fix this yet...

I don't remember needing to in order to make it work. I did adjust it just to make it crisp as can be. I sprayed the inside of the housing with Dupont Teflon Multi Purpose. That thing opens easy and snaps back with a fiery :-) 

• Premium Member

First off, thank you unknown for posting up the how to thread! Very informative!

I do have some questions though, as I'm new to this mod and the timing is just perfect as I just changed to a new set of handle bars.

In my research on quick turn throttle tubes, I'm finding that people are using three different ones from Yamaha.  

2005 R6

R1 (I believe any year)

and 2006+ R6

I've read that the 2005 R6 and the R1 tubes give similar results, and that the 2006+ R6 tube is even shorter throw than those.

In looking up the Motion Pro throttle tube on their website by bike, it lists it for an R1, a 2005 and prior R6, and only a 2006+ R6S, but not for an R6.  This leads me to believe the 2006+ R6 throttle tube is in fact different and shorter throw.

My question is, do you guys think the actual 2006+ OEM throttle tube will work on the FZ-07 without modification, and if so, do you think it's too short of a throw?

Since I'm doing new bars and my controls will have to come off anyway, I'd love to do this mod one way or another, as I already have to re-position my hand for full throttle sometimes and it'll be worse with the new bars as they are significantly different than stock. 

Whaddya think?

:)

- Paulie

I'll let you know after I do exactly this tomorrow:
Swap my stock FZ-07 throttle tube for the OEM 2006 YZF-R6 throttle tube.

The R6 throttle tube I read so much about on the SV-650 forums back in 2007 (when I rode a new 2007 SV-650) was a genuine Yamaha OEM part with the part number 2C0-26240-00-00 .
This part was first used on the 2006 YZF-R6 (AKA YZFR6V), not the 2006 YZF-R6S, a bike that was actually a renamed 2003 YZF-R6.
Confused yet?
That year, and for a few years after, they had two bikes called the R6 - the fly-by-wire, top-of-the-line R6, and the lower-priced R6S that was actually the 2003 R6 with a new name.

So, yes, I do believe the 2006 YZF-R6 (not the YZF-R6S) throttle tube is different.
Again, the Yamaha part number is:
2C0-26240-00-00

The SV-650 was another bike known for requiring a bit too much twist to get the throttle fully open, and using that Yamaha throttle tube helped noticeably.

Alright.
The OEM Yamaha 2006 YZF-R6V throttle tube installs just fine and dandy with no modifications required.
You will have to back off the throttle cable slack adjusters considerably to allow installation since the cam portion of the throttle tube is larger in diameter (which is what reduces the amount of twist needed to open the throttle).
I dialed-in slack at both the upper adjuster near the throttle grip and the lower one at the throttle body end of the cable, installed the R6 throttle tube, and then reset both slack adjusters to where I wanted the throttle cable free play to be.
Very easy.

The amount of twist needed to get full throttle has been reduced considerably and feels great to me.
After I go on this afternoon's sport ride, I'll give final thoughts on it.

• Premium Member

Awesome! I think I'm gonna pull the trigger. This tube, combined with my Renthal Ultralight 520 sprocket conversion with +2 teeth on the rear should make a bit of difference I'd think.

Can't wait to hear your final thoughts!

:)

- Paulie

Archived