The MT-07 Forum

Keep decel crack/pop?

booboobusfz07

booboobusfz07

So been reading for awhile now about tuning options. Tuning definitely seems like the best option.
But it seems like all tuning options remove my favorite thing about my exhaust.
The decel pop/crackle!
Is there a tuning option that could let me keep that ? Cause I just absolutely love that snarling crackle on closed throttle decel. Just sounds flat out aggressive and mean to me.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Doesn't harm anything but it can be excessive and annoying. I had it removed by 2wdw with their mail in flash. Its just personal preference i guess. If it wasnt so freaking loud with the akra ti I would have kept it.

Guest ChicagoAJ

That popping is excess gas getting through the motor into the exhaust - afterfire is what it's called. The gas explodes/ignites when it hits the hot exhaust and it causes a pop. You'll notice a jump in fuel economy and performance getting your bike tuned properly for the mods it has.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Typically to fix the pop tuners add more fuel on decel. Idea is to make it too rich to ignite. If you go too lean its not great for the motor.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Typically to fix the pop tuners add more fuel on decel. Idea is to make it too rich to ignite. If you go too lean its not great for the motor.
Seeing as how the stock tune has the injectors off on decel, the only thing a tuner could do is add fuel. 

i have a 2WDW flash, mine still crackles on decel but it's a more refined pop than stock tune with the akra ti

• 9 months later...

With my LeoVince underbody, before the flash I got popping, mostly in lower gears under hard deceleration, after the flash I got more decel popping, due in part to fuel bodies now cut off on decel and, I think mt exhaust installation is still seating, I may have some small leaks in the system as it is only held together by springs.
But I am assured my flash is correct,(2 Wheel DynoWorks) as many bikes for unknown reasons have decel popping even after a flash. I like it, knowing the bike is tuned properly, it sounds like a top fuel dragster with baffle out.
Anyway I am waiting on an adapter for installing the FTECU Active Tune, It will be interesting to see what effect the Active tune has if any on the decel popping.

With carbureted bikes,( something I know about), we could almost always tune out decel popping but not always completely, you have to remember with an advanced tuned bike ( free flow intake ans exhaust, advanced timing) with more air and fuel coming in combusting and going out through a High performance exhaust, when you shut down the throttle there is a lot of fuel suddenly stopped mid stroke, it has to go somewhere, and that somewhere is into your hot exhaust.

Archived