The MT-07 Forum

About to purchase... need some advice

ryanderer

As the title says. Looking for some advice ... I'm within weeks are purchasing a new fz-07.. I'm torn between supporting a local dealership that I bought a bike from before.. or saving a few hundred dollars and making a 2 hour trip into new york to get a cheaper bike.. My local dealership wants 7862 otd price... stick pricing is 6499.. I found a dealership (prospect powersports) in newyork about a 2 hr drive/ride with a sticker price of 5899.. and otd priceing of 6849 before tax + registration/title ( out of state.. they would fedex me paperwork to go to nj dmv to pay the tax and title/registration fee before I pickup the bike). My financing difference would be all of 10$ a month. My main concern would be.. If i have an issue with the bike shortly after purchase or within a year could I take it to any Yamaha service center to get it covered? ( I plan to do all other normal services myself) If I could get some other opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated before I make the dive. Thank you for reading :)

Try negotiating with your local dealer (assuming you like them) to see if they are flexible. Sometimes they will get close to your quoted price from the out of state location and you can maintain a good relationship with the local guys. Also, If you are looking to farkle the bike or get new riding gear you can sometimes get really good discounts what you are going to buy anyway. The total price on the bike and the extras might be a wash that way...just my 2 cents worth.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

You have a very valid concern. I would probably support the local dealer that you have a relationship with because you want them to be there and willing to help if something goes wrong. Maybe you could get the price down more by letting them know about the other deal you have.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thank you for the replies. I actually did talk to 1 sales guy that I know.. as well as the sales manager.. They seemed shocked when I showed them my deal from the other dealer. I didn't get any rude replies or to "go buy that one". They were truthful and stated that they didn't know how the other dealership was selling the 2016s so low they thought they were maybe the 15 models, but I assured them it was for the 16. My otd price from them was actually after they took a "small amount" off. They straight up just said we can't do any better on the price as they were moving the fz's fairly well at the standard price and they couldn't do much better. They were polite with me and told me that no hard feelings if I went with the more inconvenient and little timely route to save some money but would really like my business again.

Guest ChicagoAJ

They could sell them for 6k out the door and still make money. They just don't like making less than they can get. If you don't buy it for what they're asking they know someone will down the line. I went about 2 hours away to get mine and any Yamaha dealer will gladly take your business/perform warranty work.

pineappleunderthesea

How does the bike in New York go from $5899 to $6849? Then you add tax and registration/title on top of that? What the heck are they adding to the price...shipping fees? Dealer fees? If you do add tax, etc, you're likely almost up to your local dealer's price...assuming that $7862 is all in, including tax, registration, etc. I wouldn't drive a total of 4 hours to save a couple hundred bucks.

If I could save $500 then I might consider that drive, and certainly would buy it in NY if it was $1000 differential. Heck, there were 2 dealers around me and I bought from the one that's a little farther, but service it at the one that's closer, no problem, they gladly took my money (I would have bought at the one that's closer, but they didn't have the color I wanted...)

How does the bike in New York go from $5899 to $6849? Then you add tax and registration/title on top of that? What the heck are they adding to the price...shipping fees? Dealer fees? If you do add tax, etc, you're likely almost up to your local dealer's price...assuming that $7862 is all in, including tax, registration, etc. I wouldn't drive a total of 4 hours to save a couple hundred bucks. 
If I could save $500 then I might consider that drive, and certainly would buy it in NY if it was $1000 differential. Heck, there were 2 dealers around me and I bought from the one that's a little farther, but service it at the one that's closer, no problem, they gladly took my money (I would have bought at the one that's closer, but they didn't have the color I wanted...)

Its what had me thinking as well... the dealer in new York had close to 1000 in fees which just offsets the low sticker price and if they were taking care of the tax and title it would be close to the same. Thank you all for the words. My head is now set on getting it locally. With a dealer I've purchased from before and know they will take care of me if I come back.. Though it may be couple hundred, more it will give me piece of mind. I also won't have to make half a day ordeal and having someone tag along for that as well.

Thanks again and more then likely in a week or twos time you will see me post up my 16 raven that I will be picking up.. and the mods that I have planned for it already :)

Make the trip to Ontario and smuggle it over the border haha. I just purchased my 2016 FZ-07 for $8250 CAD All in, so $6486 USD.

Archived