The MT-07 Forum

Can't get it up...

liami

Got your attention! So I've had no problem with wheelies on this bike for the past week and a half. At 400 miles, it started to lose power and I'm having trouble getting it up (no pun intended). I guess I'm basically referring to a loss of power. Is this something that could just be the throttle bodies going out of sync that'll be solved during my 600 mile service? Maybe replace spark plugs as well? What do you guys think?

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Ride in 1st gear up to about 5k rpm chop throttle back to about 5% wait for rpm to drop to about 2k loading front suspension then slam it open to WOT. Front end will come up, way up.

It is that time where i remind everyone that the fz07.org community is not responsible for any damages cause by members trying to force this bike do wheelies....

You are getting used to the bike and not doing clumsy crap with the throttle most likely. Could be suspension breaking in and the rear end is squatting more under hard acceleration. Less energy transfered to lift front tire.

If you want to do wheelies buy a dirt bike, they are meant to be dropped. Sand and dirt is softer than concrete when you hit it at speed.

• Like 1

That is true...all good points. Your method described is how I accidentally did my first two wheelies and then I kinda started on purpose from there. Now I ride 2nd to 6k rpm, one finger clutch in while simultaneously ripping the throttle to 8-9k and then dumping the clutch. I don't let it get past 9500 rpm.

@liami So I do my wheelies the same way using the clutch up method. It may be all the shavings coming off your clutch when bringing it up that's causing the break-in oil to thicken up. According to our manual your not supposed to rev past 6k for the first 600 miles. So the loss of power may be remedied when you get your first oil change and throttle body sync in needed. I have no issues being able to snap the front end up on command using the same rpm methods as you.

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

• Global Moderator

The US manual says to avoid prolonged operation above 5,000 rpm for the first 600 miles and above 6,000 rpm until 1,000 miles. Operating above those rpm's is fine as long as it is not for a prolonged period. Does the non-US manual say something different as a lot of people have posted that the manual says not to operate above those values.

Not prolonged, I believe. I do it occasionally, and I can't hold it for too long anyway. Unless I'm on a specific road that I know of, I won't do it cuz cops don't use this road too often. And I don't really travel around much higher than 4k except for the occasional rev or take off in order to add that bit of change up for the break in period.

Motorboat McGoat

2nd gear at like 20 mph, clutch in and rev to around 6500-7000 will really pop that front up, even with my woodcraft clip ons (a lot more weight forward).

What's with all this clutch popping and little tricks to 'pop' a wheelie in low gears? I just snap to half throttle @ about 4k rpm in 1st or 2nd and I 'pull' a wheelie. 

Beemer

Guest Ralph

It wont be the throttle body sync as that only affects tickover and slightly off it,
given the use are you sure it's not clutch slip is there still free play in the clutch
cable.
Bet the chain's as loose as a call girls knicker elastic as well.

• Like 1

You can tell if the clutch is the issue if you have the same issue without clutching up. Have you attempted powering up in second since this problem manifested?

The chain being loose could def be a hindering issue. I tend to weight my rear brake slightly before I clutch up to tighten up the chain tensity and make it a solid pull up. With a little slack in chain you'll tend to hear a small clunk when your chain spins first and pulls the sprocket teeth forward

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

Motorboat McGoat
What's with all this clutch popping and little tricks to 'pop' a wheelie in low gears? I just snap to half throttle @ about 4k rpm in 1st or 2nd and I 'pull' a wheelie. 
Since i put on woodcraft clip-ons I no longer sit at the back of the bike, I'm right up against the tank. Not as easy to lift the front up in second without clutching it. First is first, you can flip the dang thing if you go too ham :D

Since i put on woodcraft clip-ons I no longer sit at the back of the bike, I'm right up against the tank. Not as easy to lift the front up in second without clutching it. First is first, you can flip the dang thing if you go too ham :D
Put the stock bars back on.

Beemer

My chain isn't loose, I moved my wheel back to tighten the chain at 100 miles and check it every other day, brushing a little hear oil over them now and then. Also clean my chain and re-lube it every time I ride in wet conditions or it gets hit by water at all. My chain is definitely not an issue. I changed my oil and filter at 150 miles and only my oil at 300 miles. I know throttle body syncs help immensely with power in general because my old 500 picked up a crap ton of power after finally syncing its carbs, and my stepdad complained about his busa's loss of power until I synced his throttle bodies and he almost flipped it. I'm thinking it's the throttle body sync, I was just wondering what others might have thought about it. And I'll have to try those other methods to wheelie sometime. Clutch feels the exact same as it used to feel when the bike had 0 miles on it. Smoother cuz I'm used to it, but I haven't noticed anything to suggest slippage at all. I can't power wheelie in second anymore either.

Also, not that I'll try it any time soon, I've been curious about 3rd and 4th gear wheelies. I saw a guy do them with ease on YouTube and I can't even pop up more than two inches in third. Anybody ever do the higher gear wheelies?

Guest Ralph

Sounds like you look after your bike so it must be quit a bit down on power
mines bog standard I never intentionally do wheelies but the wheel starts to just skip
off the tarmac at about 70 mph if I keep it nailed in 3rd.

Guest 2wheeler

I get consistent baby wheelies by taking first to 6K-7K RPM, shift quick into second,taking second to about 5K, back nearly completely off on the throttle - then crack it. Always good for about a foot high wheelie. That is with me only cracking it to about .5-.66 throttle. No clue what would happen with a full throttle crack especially with me having the R6 throttle tube. All you have to do is watch the following video, and you can readily see the ugly of flipping a FZ-07. Was the guy stupid - of course, but nonetheless, you get to watch what happens when the torque of the FZ flips your butt on the ground. Not something I want to do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4QtubZoZQM

True, I live in Florida and it's obviously summer...and I would cry not for the pain, but for wrecking this beautiful bike, if I had dropped like that

Also, not that I'll try it any time soon, I've been curious about 3rd and 4th gear wheelies. I saw a guy do them with ease on YouTube and I can't even pop up more than two inches in third. Anybody ever do the higher gear wheelies?

My best wheelies are third gear clutch ups, and I do second gear power wheelies. I also have several mods including the reflash from 2WDW which I think makes it easier, but it should be totally possible stock. If you're having trouble getting 3rd to come up maybe you're not getting the timing on the clutch? I drop the throttle a split second before I clutch in,then with the clutch in let the revs build and then let the clutch back out quickly.
  • Like 1

That's the same way I try to do it. Maybe I just need to figure out the best rpm buildups

You might be able to hear the sound when I bring the bike up in this video. The sound is generally what I use to get the right throttle and timing. Sorry for the shameless plug, I just don't have any stock footage on me at work. Maybe I'll make a video on wheelie-ing the fz07?

• Like 2

barneyfife

Dude! Keep the front tire on the ground. Follow break in procedures set by the factory. Perform maintenance according to the manual. If unclear about maintenance requirements take it to an experienced mechanic. Ride your new motorcycle like a normal person and give this awesome machine the respect it deserves. Stop screwin' around. There, I said it.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Another option is buy a akra ti pipe, hordpower airbox and race bike motor, pcv and a few dyno sessions to pump more power out of it. Probably cost you 10K.

Or take that same money and buy a dirt bike that again can be dropped and not hurt anything.

Or just ride the thing...

• 3 years later...