The MT-07 Forum

Asking for a long term Corbin review

harryshaft

harryshaft

Hi everyone.  I am looking to upgrade my seat.  I am considering a Corbin but was hoping someone here could give me a "long term" review.  

Also, one thing I did notice on the Corbin site is that the Ginslinger is 3.5 inches deep at the lower back while the Gunslinger and Lady is 4 inches.  Anyone have input or an opinion on this?

I have had my Corbin for about 3k miles and I've loved it the whole time. I have the gf&l version and I find that the large rise of the rear seat cups my rear nicely. Sliding back into it when I want to wheelie or go fast feels very natural and supportive. I can't speak for having a passenger, but I imagine their experience would be equally good. The materials show no signs of breaking down or wearing over time. I highly recommend this seat. Let me know if you need any more specific info, I'd be happy to help!

• Premium Member

I have the gunfighter and lady configuration as well and will say it is pretty supportive and comfortable. However, and maybe someone can help me to figure out why, every so often the seat will unlatch itself. Not sure if it's a defect with my seat or I'm not using it right, but it is frustrating. If other owners can give me insight let me know as well.

I have the gunfighter and lady configuration as well and will say it is pretty supportive and comfortable. However, and maybe someone can help me to figure out why, every so often the seat will unlatch itself. Not sure if it's a defect with my seat or I'm not using it right, but it is frustrating. If other owners can give me insight let me know as well.

I have a solution for this! It worked perfectly for me and it was totally free. I've not had the seat unlatch once since. If you remove the seat and unbolt the latch mechanism beneath it, it is easily removed from the cable. Now that you have the latch in hand file a 1-2 mm deep circular groove into the bottom side of the latch where the loop from the seat sits. I used a chainsaw file for this and it took just a few back and forth passes. Voila! Now the groove will rest on the loop and your seat will be rock solid.

EDIT: You may have to remove some plastics under the tail to access the latch, I'm not sure about this because I think I did this fix when I was installing my tail tidy.

• Premium Member

@ddog that's a simple enough fix. Just need to find a file that'll work. Thanks mate!

@ddog that's a simple enough fix. Just need to find a file that'll work. Thanks mate!

FYI the file I used was approximately 5 mm in diameter. I'm sure something within a reasonable range of that will do just fine. Glad I could help!

harryshaft

I see I said "gunslinger" instead of "gunfighter" Derp. Thanks for not calling me out on it. Also, thanks for the update and information. Based on the pic on the site the GNL configuration looks like it has more padding so I was leaning towards that one. I just needed someone to say that they have had it a while and still love it.

My FZ-07 is a 2016 and I have had it since March 8th and have around 3000 miles on it. I went for a 500 mile ride last Saturday and my backside was feeling it and I decided it was time to upgrade.

I will be sure to do the file trick on mine.

One more caveat, I have the Yamaha top box tail rack installed and hopefully Corbin can modify it before they ship it. I have heard that it does not fit correctly if you have the tail rack installed.

Link to a pic on my GDrive.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7FrV897cawXNkZUSFZFakpvZ28

20160322_173046.jpg

harryshaft

I called Corbin and they said that they will need to trim the pan of the passenger part of the seat a little. I sent them some pics and ordered the GNL version. I should receive it by mid June. I will update this thread once I get it installed. (along with pics)  Below is a link to the order (minus personal info)

open?id=0B7FrV897cawXdmpvQlZna2hCbEUhttps://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7FrV897cawXdmpvQlZna2hCbEU

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

About 5k miles on my Corbin, as good or even better than on day one....

Love to ride!

Just confirmed. It will be delivered Wednesday, June 15th. I commute 120 miles a day so "break-in" should be quick.

pineappleunderthesea

What seat material did you guys get? Leather? Vinyl?
They seem to downtalk vinyl on their site, but I don't necessarily have an issue with it unless it makes that seat less comfy. And leather seems to need special care...

• Premium Member

i have used corbin seats on about 5-6 bikes.they get better as they break in and i have never treated the leather seats with any special care.park my bikes in a garage if that's a consideration.they last forever and get better as you use them.i have a seat concepts on my fz07,it is comfy,but quality not so good and looks like it will break down over time.wanted to go corbin,but they are not doing single seats for the bike.

What seat material did you guys get? Leather? Vinyl? They seem to downtalk vinyl on their site, but I don't necessarily have an issue with it unless it makes that seat less comfy. And leather seems to need special care...
I talked to the sales person at Corbin and, from what I understand, he said to chose vinyl for the sides of the seat as it holds it shape better.  And to use leather for the "seat panel".  Below is a quote from their website. 
"With few exceptions (seats for off-road bikes), we include genuine leather seating panels in all Corbin saddles. A natural product, leather provides a luxurious ride by allowing your body to breathe while in contact with the seat. Leather is also extremely durable so it will last in the harsh environment your bike is subjected to.

Genuine leather will also adapt with the foam shape to support the personalized fit after break in. This is why we recommend using vinyl instead of leather in the SIDE areas of your seat. Vinyl will "spring back" instead of stretching, so it will support the foam shape and stay looking new."

• Premium Member

I have the gunslinger in in black carbon and asphalt. The seat is quite supportive and comfy. The only problem I have with it is due to my fabric choice. The carbon fabric is quite slippery; as a result my knee gripping strength is near super human. 

I'm going to have it recovered in asphalt only someday.

I should mention that the seat height is about an inch plus taller than stock. I went from flat footing it to using the balls of my feet at a stop.

This seat doesn't seem to show wear.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I received the seat but it was not modified for the Yamaha branded top box rack. FZ-07 Rear Rack
1WS-F48D0-T0-00

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/fz-07-rear-rack?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28&f=2016|212&dealernumber=

I had to ship it to the FL location for modification. So far they have been very helpful. Hopefully I will have it back by Friday (6/24). I am heading out on a 3000 mi trip after the 4th and not sure what I am going to do if it still doesn't fit. Kinda running out of time.

I will post some before and after pics once I get it back.  Below are before pics...
20160615_130850.jpg20160615_130146.jpg20160615_130113.jpg

Just received the seat back from Corbin in Florida.  I have posted the before pics on my previous post.  Below are the pics after the modification.  They had to remove some material from the pan where the rack meets the back of the pilot seat.  I have not taken it out for a test ride yet but I will update this thread later.

20160628_131717.jpg

20160628_131616.jpg20160628_132742.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So I am back from my 6 day, 2300+ mile, trip around TN, NC, SC, AL, KY, and OH. Including my daily commute to work I have about 2800 miles on the Corbin now.

First off, I do not think I could have done this trip on my stock seat. I am happy with the quality of the Corbin and it is significantly better than the stock seat as far as comfort goes. However, I ran into a few issues while on the trip that I am not happy about. While at the hotel it rained pretty hard over night. I woke up to a "sponge" of a seat. The rain literally soaked into the leather and through the stitching. I tried to push out as much water as possible but I ended up riding 230 miles on a wet butt that day. NOT FUN! (my “untreated” Mustang that I had for a cruiser never had this issue and it was leather) I guess I should have read all the FAQs before buying. After I got home I did use a silicone based sealer that is meant for camping gear and boots.

Below is an excerpt from Corbin's website with pictures below.

http://corbin.com/faq.shtml

What happens if my saddle gets wet?

"Don't panic, water won't damage your saddle. Corbin covers are extremely durable and are weather resistant too. Although the materials are resistant to water intrusion, the stitching in the cover can let water in. If this happens, your behind will probably get wet a couple of the times as you squeeze the water back out while sitting on the seat. The solution to this is to let the seat dry out in the sun for awhile. If you often find yourself getting caught in the rain, you may want to consider a saddle rain cover."

Secondly, I did have considerable saddle sore after the 3rd day. I was chaffed on the inner thighs and the back of the thighs just below the cheeks. Maybe it was the water from day 2 right? I thought that too but two weeks after my trip I went on a ride this week (three 90 min legs) and the same issue happened.

I am finding that after about 180 minutes (two 90 min legs) of riding the chaffing and the saddle sore is starting to set in. Again, I never had this issue on my Mustang. I was able to ride multiple 90 minute legs in a day with no issues.

As far as Corbin the company goes, they were extremely helpful in customizing the seat pan to work with the Yamaha top case rack. I did have to mark the pan so they knew where to cut it. This caused a delay because they had to ship me the seat from CA, and then have me ship it to FL so they could customize it. Sergio in the fitting department at the FL location turned it around and shipped it out the same day.

At this time, I cannot whole heartedly recommend this seat. I am still on the fence as to whether I want to stick it out or return it.

S1xSvk3.jpg
sVfhbHJ.jpg

Archived