The MT-07 Forum

Valve Adjustment

Beemer

Our manual says 26K plus miles for valve adjustment and I'm wondering if anyone had done theirs yet, either before it's recommended interval or @. The reason I ask is because I know this person that is of the belief that valve adjustment should be done right after the first 600 mi. break-in period. I understand his reasoning but wondering if he's being overly cautious. I can't help but think the manual is going to keep my bike safe but on the other hand I guess it wouldn't hurt to do it early as a precaution. What say you knowledgeable bike freaks? I'm right at 10k miles on my bike and it runs/sounds fine. Yay or nay on the early valve adjustment. 

Beemer

• Premium Member

I'm about 4k off of the recommended mark for valve adjustments. I'm not sure if I'll do it myself or what. I've only adjusted valve clearances on older 70's Hondas.

What I really need is to get a copy of the service manual and then go from there. Curious if anyone here has already done it as well.

Everything went braap.

recurveshooter
I've wondered about that also. It seems like an awful long stretch. I would have assumed that there would have been an adjustment early on (600 or 2000) but my shop guys say otherwise. I'm wondering what Yamaha suggests on some of their other models? I have adjusted lots of valves over the years but this being a shimmed setup I think I'll let them do it when it comes time. - recurveshooter

Guest Ralph

Mines at 9000 miles and it 's not even crossed my mind, doubt it
will at 24000 either if you really want to it cant be that hard
to lift the cover and check if any are out stick the top back
and ask the dealer to do it if all's ok you are good for the next
My car and yes they don't rev as high as a bike is at 116000 miles
never been touched except for oil changes and no hydraulic lifters.

I bet that if you checked the valve clearances at 600 miles on your FZ-07, no adjustment would be needed.
The days of the 600 mile valve clearance check on street bikes (done at your 600 mile service) are gone the way of
air-cooled engines with rocker arms and screw-type tappet adjustment.

Those bikes recommended a valve clearance check after just a few thousand miles, not 26,600 miles.

What, he doesn't also want to retorque the head bolts?

Have a look at that 1976 BMW in my Avatar. Seriously, this is very old school when valves and seats were no where near the quality/hardness they are today. Let's not even go to push rods and rocker arms.

Unless someone screwed up at the factory and used the wrong feeler gauge, I see no reason to know more about this motor than Yamaha and 2nd guess . Want to be conservative - have a look at 20k. And yeah, I think the R1's inspection is somewhere in the same neighborhood.

The Rotax 990 twin that's in my Aprilia, as well as many K-bike BMWs have been known to go 75k miles or more w/o needing a shim. There was a guy who made it to near 100k miles on that Rotax before it needed its 1st shim replacement.

If yer not up on how to pull cams etc. to do the job, pull the valve cover and at least inspect them. Just need some wrenches and a set of feeler gauges. If they are all still good (which they probably will be unless you either baby the motor or run it at redline on the track a lot), you bought some tools, learned something about your bike, and saved a lot of money. If, by some chance there are shims out of spec, you can still take it to the dealer. All your out is a little time and a set of feelers.

eh, change the oil and filter - and just ride the thing

Thanks guys! I'm betting that is just old school practice, as some mentioned, from the crustacean period. Not that I'm not a little crusty myself, ha! The manual says check and adjust valve clearance every 26,600 so that's what I'm going by and I'm not going to worry (like I was made to) that I messed up my bike by not doing it before then. Ride safe!

Beemer

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

I'm almost at 24k and I feel the bike may need a valve adjustment only because it's seems to be running a bit off. It doesn't seem to be running as smooth as it was 1k miles ago. It doesn't seem like it's running bad, but it's not running as smooth as before. I will be doing the adjustment probably next month. I'll update when I get my results.

FYI during my commute hope I having around the 1st three gears a lot.

SigSide.jpg

Guest Ralph

Here in the UK Honda tried to sell the new 500 twin with a valve check at first service,
they had so much bad feed back they dropped the recommendation don't know if they changed
anything on the bikes but it was hurting sales so it got changed, they weren't even that
hard to do no cams to remove if I remember rightly.

Here in the UK Honda tried to sell the new 500 twin with a valve check at first service, they had so much bad feed back they dropped the recommendation don't know if they changed
anything on the bikes but it was hurting sales so it got changed, they weren't even that
hard to do no cams to remove if I remember rightly.
The Adventure CB500X was one of the bikes I was considering before I bought my FZ-07 and the early and expensive valve adjustment (wasn't cheap over here) didn't sit well with me either, plus the fact that I was getting more bike/power for my money with the Yami. I wish Yamaha would make an adventure FZ-07 but it should be approached as a dirt bike that can also be ridden on the road, not the other way around. That way it would get good suspension for off road and then throw some semi knobbies, hand guards and a windscreen on it. You listening, Yamaha???!

Beemer

• Premium Member

Thanks @ralph I think you found me my next bike.

Everything went braap.

twowheeladdict

Honda seems to be old school on the valves. The overpriced NT700V that came to the states in 2010 required a 600 mile check and the forum members say there were adjustments needed.

2015 FZ-07

• Premium Member
fz07fanboy
I'm almost at 24k and I feel the bike may need a valve adjustment only because it's seems to be running a bit off. It doesn't seem to be running as smooth as it was 1k miles ago. It doesn't seem like it's running bad, but it's not running as smooth as before. I will be doing the adjustment probably next month. I'll update when I get my results.  

Have you ever done a throttle body sync? If so when and if not, then you may need to do that. It can take approx 15 min to do.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Have you ever done a throttle body sync? If so when and if not, then you may need to do that. It can take approx 15 min to do.
Nope. Have not. I may need to.

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member
fz07fanboy

That could surely be an issue if you've never even checked or adjusted in that amount of mileage.

Guest Ralph
I did the valve check at 26k a while back and valves were within speck 

Thats good to know thanks for that.

Archived