The MT-07 Forum

Fz-07 or Panigale...Am I crazy!?

kawinight

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know, you seem to want something with a lot less juice, more comfortable ergos, and less damage to the bank account. The FZ07 definitely fits that bill. I just worry about the pretty massive jump in power. The Fizz will feel really strong at around town speeds, but just won't compare to the Panigale past about 60 or 70. If you can live with the major loss of power, I'd say go for it. If you want something in between the fizz and the panigale, then you might also test a street triple.  Solid bike with a comfortable passenger position + seat (at least according to my 5'4" 120 lb gf).
not too concerned past highway speeds. I'm not much of a strait line highway kinda rider. More of a backroads mtn twistie and highway commute to work kinda rider.

I don't know, you seem to want something with a lot less juice, more comfortable ergos, and less damage to the bank account. The FZ07 definitely fits that bill. I just worry about the pretty massive jump in power. The Fizz will feel really strong at around town speeds, but just won't compare to the Panigale past about 60 or 70. If you can live with the major loss of power, I'd say go for it. If you want something in between the fizz and the panigale, then you might also test a street triple.  Solid bike with a comfortable passenger position + seat (at least according to my 5'4" 120 lb gf).
not too concerned past highway speeds. I'm not much of a strait line highway kinda rider. More of a backroads mtn twistie and highway commute to work kinda rider.
i've given up commuting due to the phone zombies, but tight windy 2ndary roads and medium speed (75-ish or so) sweeps are what i seek out. I can go out for a 200 mile afternoon w/o ever seeing the interstate. As for power? Well, my buddy eats that Panigale and the V4Tuono of his friends for lunch on his 690 when it comes to roads that can look more like goat trails. Light is right!  
 The StreetR was the other bike I was looking to seriously when i bought mine. In the end, I'm a 2 cyl kinda guy I guess. 
Btw, the Street is about to grow a bit in a year or maybe 2. 

I'm thinkin' you'll like the FZ. You already like the looks. Just think of this - 22k miles before the 1st valve inspection and getting in there will be just a tad easier than even just saying Desmo quatro

i've given up commuting due to the phone zombies, but tight windy 2ndary roads and medium speed (75-ish or so) sweeps are what i seek out. I can go out for a 200 mile afternoon w/o ever seeing the interstate. As for power? Well, my buddy eats that Panigale and the V4Tuono of his friends for lunch on his 690 when it comes to roads that can look more like goat trails. Light is right!  
 The StreetR was the other bike I was looking too seriously when i bought mine. In the end, I'm a 2 cyl kinda guy I guess. 
Btw, the Street is about to grow a bit in a year or maybe 2. 

I'm thinkin' you'll like the FZ. You already like the looks. Just think of this - 22k miles before the 1st valve inspection and getting in there will be just a tad easier than even just saying Desmo quatro

Never thought about the "goat path" scenario. Great point! My pani doesn't do well on sketch,pebbly,bumpy roads. It prefers nice smooth pavement.

straydogeod

One mistake I always made was assuming power = fun on a bike. After riding a decent, yet not completely exhaustive (no cruisers except for some rental HardleyDavidsons) array of bikes and road racing little kid's dirt bike (CRF100 with 16" wheels front and back plus street rubber) I have come to learn that all out power does not necessarily equal fun.

As the 100% true cliche goes "It's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow."

And I second everything rick has said in this thread on top of that.

P.S.-out of the 15 or so different bikes I've owned the only one I regret selling so far is my 2nd gen SV650S.  Fun, simple, reliable, cheap upgrades available...and the FZ07 feels to me like a newer, better version of that bike.  Going to hang on to it for a while.

A coworker of mine just bought a 1199 Panigale S and sold his FZ09. He likes the bike but I don't think he enjoys city driving it and we are far way from any fun places to drive it. He did admit that he wished he didn't sell his FZ09 as he just bought a R3 for his 'wife'.

Personally, I really like my FZ07 but I do wish for more power. This is my first bike but my Jeep is as quick (2015 SRT), so I do wish I went for the FZ09 from the start. The riding style is similar, still requiring suspension modifications to really drive it, and you get 50% more power; 70 versus 110 versus but not the 195ish.

The new 1000 FZ coming out next year really interests me.... but having the paid off bike in the corner is nice.

Dustin

straydogeod

The 09 is a pretty sweet bike too. I went with the 07 for a few reasons, one large one being the comfort as the 07 fit me far better. Either bike will be far more comfortable and in town worthy than the Manigale. I remember when I had my '05 999 that thing hated riding in town but up on top of the Rocky Mountains it was a dream come true.

No matter what you do there will always be compromise whether it be suspension, comfort, power, brakes, price to play, maintenance attention required or something else...something somewhere has to be compromised on a motorcycle. Find what compromises you mind the least and look for a bike that fits that bill. For me personally, the FZ07 compromises are completely livable thanks to it's playful character, cheap cost of ownership and reliability.

...and as stated, view the replies here with a grain of salt as the majority of us will be at least slightly biased towards the FZ07.

Worst day ever!!!! Took the duck to be appraised, agreed on pricing everything good to go!

What happens.....????

I freaking drop the duc!!! In my way back from being appraised this person slams there brakes because some idiot in front of them missed his turn and decided to slam his brakes and turn in at the last second. To avoid hitting the person I hit front brakes and lost the front. So pissed!!! Now I'm weighing all my options. It's not horrible,but it definitely Henderson the process. Yes I'm ok, wearing gear, tiny bit of rash near my hip where my jacket came up.

• Global Moderator

Well that sucks. I am glad to hear you are mostly unharmed, that is the most important thing. How did the bike fare? I expect Duc plastics will not be cheap.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
Worst day ever!!!! Took the duck to be appraised, agreed on pricing everything good to go! 
What happens.....????

I freaking drop the duc!!! In my way back from being appraised this person slams there brakes because some idiot in front of them missed his turn and decided to slam his brakes and turn in at the last second. To avoid hitting the person I hit front brakes and lost the front. So pissed!!! Now I'm weighing all my options. It's not horrible,but it definitely Henderson the process. Yes I'm ok, wearing gear, tiny bit of rash near my hip where my jacket came up.
Shite.... glad you weren't seriously hurt.  
When I was looking for my 2nd bike I had near the same thing happen on my way to test ride a bike. Pumped the brakes on that trade =P.

• Global Moderator
What happens.....????

Damn dude
sorry to hear that

Glad you're ok at least.
maybe check out @belissimoto's store
i believe they have bodywork available

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

rick

Damn, that Thruxton looks sweet! Let us know what you think of it after you test it. I wouldn't think there's anything so wrong on that bike that it can't be enjoyed. The looks alone would be worth a few small gripes, IMO.

Beemer

Got some needed used oem parts from eBay and Ducati forum. Going to install tomorrow, ride it to Yamaha dealer and go from there. Said he would get the rest of the parts at cost. Still looking good to get the fz. I'll keep y'all posted. When I figure out how to post pics I'll show some carnage.

I thought about getting a 899 Panigale, but the riding position isn't for me at the time + I saw the insurance rates lololol

Panigale as a commuter? No
A spectacular track bike? Yes

07 after suspension $$ will be grate but coming from the duc, you'll need at least another 30-50 hp on the yam.

If it's got to be a Yamaha, go for the fj/tracer 09 for two up all it needs is a stiffer rear Spring

Already replaced the right clip on, right rear set, and right side tail fairing. Also buffed the ride side upper fairing which made all those scratches almost disappear.

Problem is after replacing all that, I'm thinking ok clutch cover,front fairing,front brake lever,and bar end is all. Then I notice the right clip on is still hitting the right fairing when turned fully. So I'm thinking something is still bent.....
Nope! The damn steering stopper snapped off the lower triple steering head unit.

Dropped it off at the Yamaha dealer anyway to see what they say their internal labor plus their cost on parts is to repair leftovers. Will see if they find the steering stop broken. Labor and parts their cost is probably cheaper then what I can find excellent shaped used parts for. Which I can't find any of the other parts used in good condition. So choices are limited. Going to call around tomorrow and get customer pay repair costs on leftover parts. So I have a comparison to what they say. I'm sure insurance would have totaled it if I claimed it and would of gone up as well.

Only time will tell.

How much is yearly premium on that bike? Just curious.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

How much is yearly premium on that bike? Just curious.

Insurance? I pay $100 a month $1000 deductible

Original offer

Fz-07 $7700 incl (tax tag doc) etc

For

2012 panigale 1199 @ estimated trade value
$10,000

= $2300 check to me and new fz07

After wreck offer at this point

$300 check and fz-07

Parts to fix Panigale/ put back to the way it looked at the original offer total $2000 just parts. Not including labor.

Thoughts? Should I take It? I did my own research and even if I buy the parts myself off eBay or forums used but good condition I'm not saving much off retail. Seems like one of those take it and move on things.

I also have a brand new exhaust I can sell carbon clutch cover and if I cancel the warranty I can get money back prorated.

Ofcorse the extra $2k would of been nice, but can't go back before the wreck.

Or keep the duc and all the expenses that come with it...?

I was telling my friend earlier today. I thought I wanted a panigale, but now I feel I was betrayed by its staggering good looks. When behind the looks is a bike that is brittle, high maintenance, and not the most reliable. (I don't like this chick!)
I think I learned the hard way, like hitting the ground hard.

I think I like my bikes like my women. Low maintenance, still look amazing, are tough, and one you can count on.

• Global Moderator

I would go for it If you were happy with the offer before the wreck.
The fall itself doesn't really change anything, apart from that it costs $2000.

You won't be better off fixing up the Panigale. You will have spent the money and still have the bike you were planning on trading anyway.
And don't forget that you will have to put a lot of time and energy to get the bike up to snuff again.
There is also that nagging feeling that it has been in an accident. It could bite you in the future. The history alone would be enough for me to say goodbye to the Duc.
Use the $300 to buy gear that needs replacement.

• Premium Member

Sorry for your misfortune.

With the FZ, the same drop would cost a few hundred bucks if you had engine case guards.

Don't know if that helps. :|

Everything went braap.

• Global Moderator

take the deal... use that 300 to buy sliders and engine guards

Or that 300 can get you a flash from @2wheeldynoworks

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived